SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

paulr33

Hey man... I jus graduated couplea days back... :P ... but trust me... i have no F'in idea wat i've studied... but i did it... now i dun knw war to do next... Study more (nerdy)... :P or apply for a job n work... (money) :D

Edited by H00N

in IT you basically get thru uni for the piece of paper. NOTHING you do is gonna be of any use/relevance when you start working and applying it to the real world, cos the syllabus that you learn off is about 5 years old by the time you start learning it, and by the time you've finished is around 10 years old. Most fields in IT changes standards every 2 years.

That said, I'm glad I learnt C++ at uni before they changed to Java, cos now I'm coding iPhone apps in a variant of C :P

lol not gonna happen. You'll come out of uni after 3/4yrs and be like wtf have i learnt??

Ive been told by my lecturers that after 6months working after uni you pretty much forget everything you learnt haha

So if all you get out of uni is to jump the bottom few rungs in the workforce, but these same rungs skipped could of been worked up in the time spent at uni, is it worth it?(depending on the industry)

in IT you basically get thru uni for the piece of paper. NOTHING you do is gonna be of any use/relevance when you start working and applying it to the real world, cos the syllabus that you learn off is about 5 years old by the time you start learning it, and by the time you've finished is around 10 years old. Most fields in IT changes standards every 2 years.

That said, I'm glad I learnt C++ at uni before they changed to Java, cos now I'm coding iPhone apps in a variant of C :P

further making my point, where a diploma done in a year might give you enough of the foundations and what you learn on the job does the rest?

On a more serious/dire/urgent note- WHERE CAN I GET DECENT BUT NOT CRAZY PRICED DUCK IN SOUTHGATE?

That said, I'm glad I learnt C++ at uni before they changed to Java, cos now I'm coding iPhone apps in a variant of C :cheers:

Swinburne did 3 years of Java, and then 1 unit of "C++ for Java Programmers"

There's now a .NET library for iPhone dev, still need a mac though :(

unfortunately if you wanna get into upper management, then you need an MBA or something equivalent, and to qualify for that you need a Bachelor's degree minimum.

lolfag @ .NET. I think I'd take Cocoa over .NET

Hanging out for Flash CS5 though. Should be awesome.

GUEST SPEAKER AT GENERAL MEETING

Ive managed to pull a fair bit of strings at work and have managed to talk my boss into coming down to the meet as a guest speaker.

He used to be a test engineer at the nissan manufacturing plant in Victoria and then became Engineering Manager, National Parts Division.

This was during the late 80's to early 90's and includes developing and building the R31 SVD, R32 GTR and N14 Pulsar SSS

He has a load of stories about the build quality of these cars, r32 gtr certification (including test drives and its thrash-ability :laugh: ) and souring spare parts when they broke back in the 90's.

I would like everyone to come as Ive put in a lot of effort to get him!!!!!!!!

Giving you a chance to ask about the R32 GTR when it was released in Australia in mint condition! Dont waste this opportunity!!!!

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ge...p;gopid=5130148

So if all you get out of uni is to jump the bottom few rungs in the workforce, but these same rungs skipped could of been worked up in the time spent at uni, is it worth it?(depending on the industry)

The main reason HR look for degrees for jobs is to see that you are capable of understanding/knowing the theory behind the position and that you are capable of learning.

Sometimes HR/Management may not let you progress too high because they do not know if you would be able to cope with something outside your field.

Although it depends on the individual and the company. I remember a couple years ago there was this australian kid working at maccas flipping burgers and he was promoted to head of Mcdonalds australia or something. I remember it being in the news as he went from burger flipper to Management. (obviously not in one step, media hype, but point is he started off in maccas and moved up through the ranks without going to university etc)

The main reason HR look for degrees for jobs is to see that you are capable of understanding/knowing the theory behind the position and that you are capable of learning.

Sometimes HR/Management may not let you progress too high because they do not know if you would be able to cope with something outside your field.

Although it depends on the individual and the company. I remember a couple years ago there was this australian kid working at maccas flipping burgers and he was promoted to head of Mcdonalds australia or something. I remember it being in the news as he went from burger flipper to Management. (obviously not in one step, media hype, but point is he started off in maccas and moved up through the ranks without going to university etc)

yeh heaps of highly successful people started at the bottom, but it can be a heap harder i think these days more then ever its not what you know its WHO you know.

I got 3 out of 5 years thru my degree, then got offered a job part time, which then turned to full time. Stopped uni and just started working. By the time my mates were finishing uni, I already had 2 years experience up on them, and when going for interviews I was getting picked over them as they had no experience, and I had both experience and real world training (courses that work paid for, CCNA, CCNP, MCSE etc). Didn't have to sit through shitty graduate processes and jump through loophole. These days I'm headhunted and I set my own terms and still earn more than my mates who have a degree.

Depends on the industry I suppose. I couldn't pull that shit if I was a Civil Engineer for example, cos you need a piece of paper saying you know your shit. I think IT might be the only one where you can make it as long as you have good current knowledge.

I got 3 out of 5 years thru my degree, then got offered a job part time, which then turned to full time. Stopped uni and just started working. By the time my mates were finishing uni, I already had 2 years experience up on them, and when going for interviews I was getting picked over them as they had no experience, and I had both experience and real world training (courses that work paid for, CCNA, CCNP, MCSE etc). Didn't have to sit through shitty graduate processes and jump through loophole. These days I'm headhunted and I set my own terms and still earn more than my mates who have a degree.

Depends on the industry I suppose. I couldn't pull that shit if I was a Civil Engineer for example, cos you need a piece of paper saying you know your shit. I think IT might be the only one where you can make it as long as you have good current knowledge.

yeah +1 to real estate started straight outta high school been 6 years my mates just finishing uni 50/60k jobs, ive been tripple that for years..

but their lifestyle is wayyyy better hahaha hence why im on every car forum known to man :laugh:

On the topic of Real Estate agents...

The muppets who manage the property I am renting, recently did an inspection, and claimed the carpet is dirty...when in actual fact it was like that when I moved in (brand new place), yet it's now MY responsibility to clean it. Got photo's and the initial inspection I filled out to prove them wrong, but the tenancy union are a bunch of weak f**ks.

On the topic of Real Estate agents...

The muppets who manage the property I am renting, recently did an inspection, and claimed the carpet is dirty...when in actual fact it was like that when I moved in (brand new place), yet it's now MY responsibility to clean it. Got photo's and the initial inspection I filled out to prove them wrong, but the tenancy union are a bunch of weak f**ks.

Mate if you have pictures and a initial move-in report.

Then just ignore them. They cannot do a thing.

Similar to the place i am now with scuffs on the walls and so on. They were all "minor" on the report, where some walls have fair gouging, so i made sure i put that into my initial report and made them sign it :blush:

That said, I'm glad I learnt C++ at uni before they changed to Java, cos now I'm coding iPhone apps in a variant of C :blush:

Exactly why I quit 6 months into my degree, didn't see anything but a graduate position at the end of it, which I didn't want. The course was a good 10 years out-of-date.

on a side note went down to the global opertion centre for my work today in clayton

import city in the car park

skyline

evo

wrx

fto

lengum

skyline

skyline

supra

love it :blush:

Mate if you have pictures and a initial move-in report.

Then just ignore them. They cannot do a thing.

Similar to the place i am now with scuffs on the walls and so on. They were all "minor" on the report, where some walls have fair gouging, so i made sure i put that into my initial report and made them sign it :blush:

That's the plan, just found the initial thing frustrating, as I paid a $2.5k bond for this joint.

Fingers crossed my missus parents buy a property in the YVE building on St Kilda Rd, then I might get cheaper rent!