SAU Community

Vic Wasteland Thread

paulr33

I'd smash the next queen to be though... Just sayin. She's got impeccable teeth for a pomme. Such a QILF.

:laugh:

Saw this equation on Facebook and half my friends got it wrong. Let's see if people here could pass year 7 maths...

6÷2(1+2) = ?

6 ÷ 2 = 3

Hence, 1 + 2 = 3

? = 3

You're only making yourselves sound like fags by using a cute name like that lol

P.s. Explain your answers boys. One of you is right but I'm sure the working out will be wrong.

Explaining answers bleh.

Numbers inside brackets get multiplied by 2...then summed together...then divided by 6?

I dunno, I didn't do maths past year 10 and I forget anything that happened before year 12. Then first day of uni = hello students you'll now be learning the ins and outs of linear relationships = FML

Explaining answers bleh.

Numbers inside brackets get multiplied by 2...then summed together...then divided by 6?

i had this argument with my missus who is a maths major at uni.......

answer is 9 because

after the brackets you need to work left to right, bodmas is correct but, its bodmas from left to right, ie the left most action takes precedence, because bodmas=bomdas

therefore its 9

Birds, you were correct with BODMAS, but got the order wrong.

Brackets

Division

Multiplication

Addition

Subtraction

6÷2(1+2)

Brackets first, making it 6÷2x3

Next is division, making it 3x3

3x3 = 9

Oh I see now. That makes sense. I always thought each item inside the brackets had to be multiplied by the outside number before summing them together, but that does go against BODMAS if you do it that way.

The creator could have picked a much better equation to demonstrate BODMAS though...you can unfortunately arrive at the same answer with many paths using those numbers.

EDIT: On second thoughts, maybe it's when there's a power outside the brackets that you multiply each number inside the brackets first.

I'm no math nut, but aren't Div and Multi ranked the same? They are however used from left to right?

indeed

hence

bodmas=bomdas

just like addition and subtraction are the same, its just the s sounds better at the end of the word :P

find me a time in any normal engineer's career that calls for laplace transform

only if your an electrical engineer i believe

just out of curiosity, who did you have for maths when you did laplace transforms (IIRC your at rmit yeah?)

only if your an electrical engineer i believe

just out of curiosity, who did you have for maths when you did laplace transforms (IIRC your at rmit yeah?)

Yan Ding.

I can't understand her accent.

Even electrical engineers dont use laplace.