SAU Community

R34 4-door

After several years, I finally through my principles out the window and got a personal loan.

A little history:

Out of school, I'd been trying to keep an 1984 Gazelle on the road, first with a CA20 then with a CA18 and various suspension setups, and it simply wasn't viable as a Daily driver. I had crashed it once, foolishly (& expensively) repaired it. I had on-going engine problems since, and I was spending, on average, $200+ and at least one weekend every fortnight trying to keep it in drivable condition just to get to work. I still have it, and 'play with it' when I feel like it, but I'm no longer under pressure to use it daily.

So, after a few nights of sitting down doing calculations, and a few months of researching and searching, R32's (my first love), JZX100's, XR6T's, R34's, and nearly buying an R32 4-door, (which I still like a lot) I found this pic on carsales of a fresh import:

post-20992-1268026612.jpg

It had nearly every option I wanted from my R34;

Black

Full Factory Kit (actually a Nismo Aero front bar)

GTT (it had to be RWD)

4-door

Sunroof

Series 1 interior (pre 2000)

Premium Pack

- Premium Audio

- TV/Nav

- Auto Headlights

- Rear console drink holders

Dead stock

Only thing it wasn't was a manual, and to be honest, after driving it, I like it how it is. Suits my needs better.

So, in September after about a week and a half, a 1500km roadtrip, a week of BS at regency, I had a driveway like this:

post-20992-1268024313_thumb.jpg

post-20992-1268026945_thumb.jpg

To date:

First things first, I got it booked into a workshop and replaced every fluid in it, machined the discs*, and put a set of new Bendix Heavy Duty pads** on it before they put it on the dyno to check that it was ok on Aussie fuel. (135rwkw btw)

*I could feel that these were again warped after 2 days driving to work, and 0.5 of a hills run. :)

I bought some DBA4000S for the rear, fronts and QFM pads pending finances, before I put them all on.

**In my opinion, Bendix HD pads are terrible. I was recommended them as a good street pad with NO noise, and low dust. They are NEITHER of these. 2.5 weeks in, they were squealing under light braking in traffic, and always when hot.

They are quite dusty. I will never buy bendix pads again if there is a better option available.

Immediately after the workshop, it was booked into Tint-a-Car for some UV protection with a 25(!) year warranty.

Since then, after a month of no audio because the Xanavi unit needed a reboot disc, I bought myself a birthday present: A complete GTR centre console stack, with the A/C controls at the top, factory CD in the middle, and a flip-open pocket at the bottom. Intalled it along with an FM expander, and had audio everywhere except driver's door. :laugh: Later, after an afternoon of investigation revealed that a relay attached to the Xanavi Nav/TV system had the driver's door speaker wires lead to it. If that relay is unbolted from the xanavi unit, put back in the car and the correct factory looms connected, it WILL all work :D

Future plans: Ensuring reliability and daily drivability are always first priority, a few cosmetic subtleties, internal and external. I plan to keep this for fair while, and am in no rush to do anything, especially not before it's paid off.

The concept of the car is to be a reliable and comfortable daily driver, that is neat enough to park next to Merc's and BMW's without attracting death stares when I pick up my girlfriend from work, yet still have better than average performance, not attract negative attention from the authorities, but still be recognised by import enthusiasts for what it is.

post-20992-1268026861_thumb.jpg