SAU Community

Willall Gtr Outright Winner Time Attack Rd1

Martin Donnon

New time attack rules stipulate a strict 'no-slicks' policy so for the first round of MGEC we went looking for a tyre option to fit the stock rims. After discussion with Toyo where we offered to perform some testing on their R888 (which has received mixed reviews in track enviornments), and finding out they were not interested in being part of our GTR test program in Australia, it was back to the known quantity and high performance Dunlop run flat :down:

We didnt expect to do particularly well up against 350rwkw cars (FD RX7s etc) weighing just on 1000kg and with 12 inch R compound tyres, but careful car setup, some work on the chassis balance, new Willall aero parts, and a 'bigger' version of our WR35WS brake water spray system soon allowed the GTR to show its mettle. Slowly, we got the balance right and dialled more and more power back into the engine tune using gear and throttle dependent boost settings for the cold and partially damp track surface till we just pipped fastest time of the day with a 1:13.75 second lap, only 1.5 seconds slower than the GTR on full slicks, and on a worse grip day to boot. This amazing time gave us top spot on the podium by just under a tenth of a second :down:

Great driving, good setup, and careful working through the data gave use the slim advantage we held onto till the end. Heres the GTR approaching the 'kink' at around 210km/h. Note the nice flat stance, and the front splitter staying good and stiff giving a slight nose down pitch into the turn in point.

marty1.jpg

While not as exciting I set a new PB in the Willall EVO X nudging 1:17.59 and being a little unhappy not to crack into the 16 second zone. It turned out to be fourth fastest time of the day in the tricky conditions, and was enough for a Willall 1 - 2 in the Club AWD Categroy as well as outright victory in the 'Tuner Challenge'. All good fun :(

Edited by Martin Donnon

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn, awesome times. i can't get over the fact the dunlop is only 1.5s slower than the slick. unbelievable especially considering the extra weight of each corner too (let alone rubber outright grip). the dunlops are severely underrated, but more than that well done on both times. i need that splitter!

How heavy is this GTR as it ran? it looks like its missing some interior items?. Does it run on alcohol too? Bigger turbochargers?

Some detail would be appreciated to quantify it compared to other cars, you have to take your pants off to the others though, least they are driven in majority by the driver and not a raft of ECU's, sensors, actuators, and computer programs!

Edited by RICE RACING

How heavy is this GTR as it ran? it looks like its missing some interior items?. Does it run on alcohol too? Bigger turbochargers?

Some detail would be appreciated to quantify it compared to other cars, you have to take your pants off to the others though, least they are driven in majority by the driver and not a raft of ECU's, sensors, actuators, and computer programs!

winnings%20winning.jpg

Well you cant expect to have it all one way and talk down others and talk up your own "sports sedan" :laugh:

If its a street car then fine.........

On the other hand if you have to gut it, put it on alcohol, talk down factory track spec rubber which is only 1.5sec a lap less than slick tires, forget to mention your car has different turbochargers, is boosted, tuned, and highly developed (more so than others cars). It kinda takes away from what you have done (or money you have spent on fancy bits), sure you can spam every forum on earth and say how great you are and your car is, but at the end of the day you look like a tool for doing so.

You have developed some stuff, good on you. No need to talk it up and put down others cars to make yourself feel better or sell it up as an amazing achievement........ its a simple case of cubic dollars and cubic computers driving your car that got you a victory over far simpler cars that are no more modified than your own!.(e.g. RX7 weight is 1240kg stock) race track prepared one was 1040kg, your GTR was what? it could go on forever, my point is you do yourself no favor excusing up your win with "this was bad" "that was not ideal" "proper analysis" with a $850 GPS logger etc etc.

I know you need to sell your shit, but relax a bit and learn to be humble, it would be far better to read.

Edited by RICE RACING

Well you cant expect to have it all one way and talk down others and talk up your own "sports sedan" :blush:

On the other hand if you have to gut it, put it on alcohol, talk down factory track spec rubber which is only 1.5sec a lap less than slick tires, forget to mention your car has different turbochargers, is boosted, tuned, and highly developed (more so than others cars). It kinda takes away from what you have done (or money you have spent on fancy bits), sure you can spam every forum on earth and say how great you are and your car is, but at the end of the day you look like a tool for doing so.

You have developed some stuff, good on you. No need to talk it up and put down others cars to make yourself feel better or sell it up as an amazing achievement........ its a simple case of cubic dollars and cubic computers driving your car that got you a victory over far simpler cars that are no more modified than your own!.(e.g. RX7 weight is 1240kg stock) race track prepared one was 1040kg, your GTR was what? it could go on forever, my point is you do yourself no favor excusing up your win with "this was bad" "that was not ideal" "proper analysis" with a $850 GPS logger etc etc.

I know you need to sell your shit, but relax a bit and learn to be humble, it would be far better to read.

Sounds like you were there on the day and were beaten....

Sounds like an argument from aussie manufacturers from 1992 also.

Pretty sure martin has mentioned all his mods in other threads too.

Just saying is all. I don't know either of you and probably will never meet, sounds like the guy is just proud of the work done on the car and good luck to him.

If it gets people aware of his product then thats great, gotta make a living some how.

Just saying is all. I don't know either of you and probably will never meet, sounds like the guy is just proud of the work done on the car and good luck to him.

If it gets people aware of his product then thats great, gotta make a living some how.

Pfft every thread and most posts made by the guy are a free advertisement for the company. Some believe that the responsible thing to do would be to become a business trader on SAU - others feel that what is posted here qualifies as technological and/or exciting news and therefore should be exempt...

Funny that, I see at the top of this thread:

" Skylines Australia > Automotive > Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion"

It does not say TECHNICAL SECTION, and you can hardly call this forum a 100% strict technical forum.

I would not say anything here is technical is the least, if he want's to be an SAU trader thats his business. I could not care either way.

Well you cant expect to have it all one way and talk down others and talk up your own "sports sedan" :)

Well look at it this way, in the top 5 cars the Willall cars were the only ones that actually drove to the track (not trailered race cars) and also actually drove to the track on the tyres they raced on :)

The Willall GTR was missing the passenger seat and rear seat squab to allow harness mounting for the driver

The Willall GTR runs minimal power modifications, standard turbochargers, just full exhaust and a tune on pump fuel (E85)

The Willall GTR was running factory specification Dunlop RSST SP600 Run Flats on factory rims.

- Rice Cooker please turn off the angry eyes on this. I am a big fan of the RX7s, and have been for years, however if you were to place the cars I commented in a CAMS Motor Racing category for which they would be legal it is indeed Sports Sedan. These (or at least one I looked at) are structurally modified widebody cars that are neither Production nor Improved Production eligible at least at a quick glance. This is not an insult or a put down, they are a great yardstick, and very quick -

However....if our achievements at the track an this minimal level have upset you then pray we never get serious with the modifications and development of this car....all though this time may well be inevitable. There is a possibility the Willall GTR drove itself, Keir could have been asleep in there, but I can say it certainly beats standing on the hill all day and then coming on here setting a lap record with your keyboard. Keir is doing a great job behind the wheel actually and with a best of 1:12.19 at Mallala he is certainly showing to be extremely capable as a circuit driver considering in most recent times he was drag racing our 8 second R32GTR. I believe he has gone quicker and faster at Mallala than anyone else entered in the event, so he has experience on his side :nyaanyaa:

The congrats from actual R35 owners, those that have driven these cars, and fans is all appreciated.

Here is a nice little video one of the Porsche Club guys took - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsZ0GLayM7w

Big things coming at the race track from us this year :nyaanyaa:

Edited by Martin Donnon

People complain that the GT-R has no race history.. and as soon as it starts cleaning up people complain that it's all technology and gadgets. 20 years on, and it happens all over again :nyaanyaa:.

Funny that, I see at the top of this thread:

" Skylines Australia > Automotive > Nissan R35 GT-R Discussion"

It does not say TECHNICAL SECTION, and you can hardly call this forum a 100% strict technical forum.

I would not say anything here is technical is the least, if he want's to be an SAU trader thats his business. I could not care either way.

Woah slow down, who said technical? I said technological news, i.e. Willall's product developments for the R35...this probably explains why you don't pick up on the sales rep tone. You may not care but it is a bit unfair to the traders who regularly support the website in exchange for talkng their products on the forums :)

Pfft every thread and most posts made by the guy are a free advertisement for the company. Some believe that the responsible thing to do would be to become a business trader on SAU - others feel that what is posted here qualifies as technological and/or exciting news and therefore should be exempt...

This is a decision for the board mods to assess.

Willall Racing sell very little product in Australia, nor do we focus locally as a key market. We are primarily a development and export company, and we do not advertise product on this forum. Unfortunately being an R35 development and engineering company sometimes the product we use on the car gets referenced, and thats unavoidable if the readers want to know the setup.

However having been a member of this board since 2002, we have met some great people along the way, and made some good friends in the R35 GTR scene, some of which are customers, some of which are not. This is our avenue of talking to these guys and sharing the news of the success of our GTR with them. I believe the guys that own R35s enjoy this information and sharing of knowledge. I can also see why others who arent excited about the R35 GTR and arent interested could put a negative slant on what we post.

If the R35 owners dont want us posting news and information about racing events on here thats fine, but let the owners and the folks this forum area was designed for have their say :)

Edited by Martin Donnon

People complain that the GT-R has no race history.. and as soon as it starts cleaning up people complain that it's all technology and gadgets. 20 years on, and it happens all over again :).

That and those that have never driven one, and with very little driving knowledge or experience saying how easy the R35 is to drive.

It is almost line for line a direct lift out from 1991, only the model has changed :)

My answer to the 'its so easy to drive no wonder its quick' line is 'serves you right for driving crap' :)

There's a difference between simply posting news and putting an editorial spin on it :)

I daresay people who aren't interested in the R35 wouldn't click on this forum...