SAU Community

Willall Gtr Outright Winner Time Attack Rd1

Martin Donnon

Australians are typically cynical with strong bullshit meters, hence the issues with a thread like this. No need to get up in arms about it. It's just the way it is. Some like to see the information on R35s and their success (even if they don't own one) but this cultural default is then triggered by certain things. :(

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate, I am white as f**k, don't get me started about being a cynic, you are preaching to the choir.

I just hate bandwagons, that is all.

FineLine: forums, everyone has an opinion, and opinions are like assholes. But we all fall under that umbrella :(

This is an info sharing service SO if you dont have anything posative to contribute log off.
beer swilling small minded idiots this counrty is full of pride themselves on
I own a 35
Actually unless I am mistaken, every negative comment has been from people who do not own an R35. So what is it to them in the first place. Again, correct me if I am wrong. :(

Well that would be assuming my friend...but anyway...what's with the superiority complex? Do you have to own an R35 to be able to say anything negative on a topic that might grace them? It must be jealousy or some irrational hate on for the car? No one could legitimately dislike the R35? But if the comment is nice you won't question it? Also, is this section only for R35 owners or everyone who is interested in the R35? Because I have an interest in the vehicle and I like hearing about it's successes (and obstacles/failures) when it comes to racing. My comment wasn't even about the R35 though lol, it was about Martin doing a weekly PR job on Willall when every other person on the forum who does that for their company pays for the right to do it. Fair enough if we didn't have traders who keep the forum alive, but we do. I can assure you the forum would be much more dead without traders! Anyway, it's just an opinion...

While I like the stories and information, it is an opinion I share. I wouldn't otherwise mind, but can you honestly say it is fair to other traders who pay for the privilege?

Well that would be assuming my friend...but anyway...what's with the superiority complex? Do you have to own an R35 to be able to say anything negative on a topic that might grace them? It must be jealousy or some irrational hate on for the car? No one could legitimately dislike the R35? But if the comment is nice you won't question it? Also, is this section only for R35 owners or everyone who is interested in the R35? Because I have an interest in the vehicle and I like hearing about it's successes (and obstacles/failures) when it comes to racing. My comment wasn't even about the R35 though lol, it was about Martin doing a weekly PR job on Willall when every other person on the forum who does that for their company pays for the right to do it. Fair enough if we didn't have traders who keep the forum alive, but we do. I can assure you the forum would be much more dead without traders! Anyway, it's just an opinion...

Never said you couldn't comment.

And Guess what I'm not the biggest fan of the R35.

If you have this mission to shut down Martin posting about his cars then do so, I have not seen any other tuners post negative comments becides an RX7 owner (weather is a tuner or not I don't know).

Looking at URAS's posts about his work on cars I have never seen any form of backlash like this (and he has been posting for about 2 years before he became a trader). And I have nothing against Him, he is a great bloke and tuner.

Am I seeing double standards, or is it just a crackdown in general.

It would be great if Martin became a trader but it seems he wants to market to the USA, guess there is more money there. Its sad, but his decision I guess.

There's no mission mate, it was originally just a comment on the side with some truth about it. I'm not a forum trader but if I was I'd be a bit iffy about it. Clearly judging by this thread I'm not the only one who thinks so.

By your "have to make a living somehow" logic, we should let spambots go wild and do their thing on the forum. If it's open season for plugs and editorials I'd like to chuck up a few threads about my companies' latest developments :cheers:

There's no mission mate, it was originally just a comment on the side with some truth about it. I'm not a forum trader but if I was I'd be a bit iffy about it. Clearly judging by this thread I'm not the only one who thinks so :cheers:

So have traders come to the mod team with grief about it? Genuine question?

If so, why not lock his threads and be done with it? Or am I being dramatic? :D

Alright, no need to cover off who is or is not a trader on the forums. The mod/admin team closely monitor for potential traders and we have regular discussions about actions in cases that are clear, and those that are not so clear. At any given time there are a heap of potential traders being actively monitored.

As a user/member of this community (not my role as an admin) though, I personally feel that Martin spends a lot of time talking about his business and not much adding useful, actionable information....plenty of other regular posters on here own businesses and are very helpful with free information and advice to members on their specific issues, and URAS mentioned above is one of those (I can also think of Dan from Elite, John from UAS and a whole host of others). Yes they do run businesses but the difference to me is that they are not always posting about themselves, the products they sell and their own acheivements....they let their happy customers do that for them.

The business owners and people who actively work in the industry every day are a huge asset to this community in terms of accurate, up to date information based on direct experience (not "my cousin's boyfriend's mate once did xyz"), and that is why there is some leeway allowed in defining who is "trading" and who is not.

As a user/member of this community (not my role as an admin) though, I personally feel that Martin spends a lot of time talking about his business and not much adding useful, actionable information....

That may well be the case, however we are defining certain parts of what is happening in the R35 scene at the moment so unfortunately if the innovation is to be mentioned then so is the fashion in which it is achieved or the post is a waste of bandwidth. I certainly had no hesitation in talking about Aeromotions wing, Volks rims, Cobbs Accesstuner software and in fact any other part we use to get where we are going. Make no mistake we are an engineering and distribution company, not one that makes money out of trying to bend any set of rules on SAU. Our free help is pointing people in the right direction with their R35s and showing them whats involved in making a laptime without any smoke and mirrors, we also supply several of the traders on here. Our role on SAU is transparent :huh:

Its the moderations teams call. If they dont want to hear it, I certainly wont post it. There are better ways I can spend my time, but after seven years of being a functioning member of this forum and adding plenty of posts pointing people in the right direction over that time I find it a little confusing :)

Edited by Martin Donnon

As someone who's been reading technical articles by Martin in various car magazines for well over a decade and reading his posts on SAU - seeing him on a public car forum, giving his opinion, and relating his experiences is pure gold. He doesn't just provide information on development that Willall is directly, financially involved with - but his experience with R35 development in general. I would hate to see SAU lose such a valuable resource, and I honestly don't think he is trying to use SAU as purely a platform to sell products or make a dime.

I trust that the SAU moderators and administrators aren't so closed-minded as to see it as some other people have in this thread.

If you have this mission to shut down Martin posting about his cars then do so, I have not seen any other tuners post negative comments becides an RX7 owner (weather is a tuner or not I don't know).

For the record, i am the owner of the black RX7, not Rice. Also for the record he has nothing to do with the build/tune of the car.

For the record, i am the owner of the black RX7, not Rice. Also for the record he has nothing to do with the build/tune of the car.

Thanks for clearing it up. Bit of a mystery why Rice got so upset though ???

The owner of the RX7 is a true gentleman Wheezy, and a fine racer to boot, having run 12s in the thing at Mallala on slicks. Scary pace that :thumbsup:

However its all good fun and good competition, no doubt there will be much more fun and games next time out, and thats all part of the sport :D

I just couldnt describe the car as anything other than a hardcore lightweight 350kw kind of thing - its bloody fast, like really fast and the context of an R35 keeping in sight says miles of good things about the GTR platform rather than anything negative about the FD. That is all, and I am sure the experienced punters understand :)

img_0399.jpg

Make no mistake this is not some 'old cheap rotor' its a profesionally presented and nicely engineered car thats a credit to those behind it. Time Attack needs more cars like this :)

Edited by Martin Donnon

Nice edit of that post, Martin. Finally did the car - and more so driver/owner - some justice (after he posted in the thread). :D

PS. My cheap comment earlier on was a relative statement. :thumbsup: And it's still fast heading towards its 20th birthday (especially the FD platform itself).

Exactly how much faster was the R35 against the dirty old 1993 Mazda RX7:)

I know the owner of the car. I felt you needed to be corrected re the above statements :D

It is also faster than any Skyline that currently exists in South Australia around Mallala. You can correct me if I am wrong :thumbsup:

My compliments to the pace of this car goes back to post #1 in this thread :)

Edited by Martin Donnon

I felt you needed to be corrected :thumbsup:

Clearly that was a tongue in cheek comment and I'm sure Doc isn't too upset. The car blows dirty flames and I've seen some of the work he has done to it himself in his garage which also validates my comment LOL. :D

LOL I see what you did there.

As someone who's been reading technical articles by Martin in various car magazines for well over a decade and reading his posts on SAU - seeing him on a public car forum, giving his opinion, and relating his experiences is pure gold. He doesn't just provide information on development that Willall is directly, financially involved with - but his experience with R35 development in general. I would hate to see SAU lose such a valuable resource, and I honestly don't think he is trying to use SAU as purely a platform to sell products or make a dime.

I trust that the SAU moderators and administrators aren't so closed-minded as to see it as some other people have in this thread.

Here let me fix this for you - just a bit of lighthearted comedy / immaturity based around my jealous peasant viewpoint...I hope no one takes serious offence to it :thumbsup:

As someone who's been lead on by Martin in various car magazines for well over a decade and reading his editorials on SAU - seeing him on a public car forum, the celebrity that he is, giving his opinion, and relating his experiences is pure comedy gold. He doesn't just provide information on development that Willall is directly, financially involved with - but development that Willall is indirectly involved with. I would hate to see SAU lose such a resourceful spambot, and I honestly don't think he is trying to solely use the R35 section of SAU as purely a platform to flaunt products his company has developed for the R35 (2+2?).

I trust that the SAU moderators and administrators will see past the Willall product range everyone is sure to know off by heart now, that they aren't so closed-minded as to see it as some other people have in this thread. <------------ this last sentence was fine :)

:D:) :) :P

LOL sorry I saw it there waiting to be tampered with. Seems to be a divided issue anyway...I think it's good that Martin keeps us updated on the local success of the R35 but maybe it could be done with less of a skew or perhaps contribute to the technical sections of the forum at the same time like so many other people in the industry do - this would be win/win for everyone :(