SAU Community

Willall Gtr Outright Winner Time Attack Rd1

Martin Donnon

What happened to the good old days. Jap race rims, carbonfiber and exclusive/fun jap trinkits for your ride?

Hi Justin,

There are still purists in Australia like us who keep that ethos strong and thriving, and a number of communities of people who still build cars just like they are built in Japan.

True JDM is still just as relevant today as it has ever been, for the simple reason that true Made In Japan high end quality is timeless.

Here are a couple of recent examples of some great work from Japan ...

1023%203%20IMG_6245.jpg

1220%20MINI2%20DSC_1174.jpg

p4.jpg

Ben at TheRealJDM wrote an article titled about timeless quality titled "Endless Brakes - Fo Sho!? Dispelling Popular Misconceptions" http://www.bespokeventures.com/blog/2009/0...misconceptions/ part of which reads ...

"Let me state it like this…trends are trends. Quality is quality. Trends go in and out of style. Quality lasts forever. More than anything else, when I plan a car build I make sure that every part I use is absolute quality. This is (essential) to ensuring that a quality car build is still quality many years later. Case in point - Name a played out, old or unimpressive Top Secret demo car. You can go back 15 years and never find one that isnt impressive ...

That is the difference between trends and quality. Quality doesn’t go out of style, it doesn’t embarrass you years later like a bad 80s hair cut. It is the foundation of any quality car build."

If you'd like to drop me a PM or send us an email via our Contact Us page, I'll be happy to point you in the direction of a community in Australia where deep dish models of rare Japanese made racing wheels are standard fare and where hard core JDM is still treated with the reverence that it entirely deserves.

Ben at TheRealJDM also wrote an article about an exquisite Japanese made business card holder made from ppre-preg carbon fibre in which he wrote ...

"Sometimes, the goal isnt to sell the most…or even to sell any, but simply to be the best at your craft and to produce the very best thing possible".

Photos of the business card holder and how it is made can be found here ... http://www.tunersgroup.com/TunerWire_Live/...ard_holder.html

The simple fact is that cars are still being built with the timeless attitude to quality just like the good old days you mentioned. Some hard core JDM communities don't trumpet their existence, but they are out there ... and thriving :cool:

Edited by TheTunersGroup

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice advertisement, makes the alleged Willall 'advertisement' look almost non existent. :)

Roy's comment was spot on to what I was thinking about this thread today, we are all on a forum discussing meaningless crud and have no lives, but thats ok for me I'm just a bogan R31 owner :cool:

I'm not sure where the endless talk came from but the discussion is about the calipers, not the pads. I think AP and Brembo have the hardware market sewn up tight judging by the gear on vln race cars in germany.

Ben at TheRealJDM wrote an article titled about timeless quality titled "Endless Brakes - Fo Sho!? Dispelling Popular Misconceptions"
Edited by DCIEVE

Nice advertisement, makes the alleged Willall 'advertisement' look almost non existent. :D

Roy's comment was spot on to what I was thinking about this thread today, we are all on a forum discussing meaningless crud and have no lives, but thats ok for me I'm just a bogan R31 owner :cool:

Hi Wheezy,

We've been quoting that article about Endless brakes as an example of an attitude to building cars with timeless quality for many many months. We even quoted it back before we were appointed as an authorised dealer for Endless brakes - when we were in competition with companies which sold Endless brakes :)

What we are getting at in our post above is an attitude to quality, which Justin referred to in his post that reads ...

I couldn't agree more... keep the stupid 20" chrome rims and cheap body "kits" .... What happened to the good old days. Jap race rims, carbonfiber and exclusive/fun jap trinkits for your ride?

There is post here with a comment from both Martin and I about the quandary that companies that sell parts for GT-R's have in posting info on forums without it seeming like an ad ...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=5121673

As mentioned above, some cars are still being built with the timeless attitude to quality just like the good old days that Justin mentioned.

And there's nothing wrong at all with an R31 - they are great cars.

- The Tuners Group

Edited by TheTunersGroup

Hi Wheezy,

We've been quoting that article about Endless brakes as an example of an attitude to building cars with timeless quality for many many months. We even quoted it back before we were appointed as an authorised dealer for Endless brakes - when we were in competition with companies which sold Endless brakes :cool:

What we are getting at in our post above is an attitude to quality, which Justin referred to in his post that reads ...

Any more info on the brake setups and the Nurburgring 24hr results? I was walking around the pits at the SPA 24Hr and they may have been using Endless pads, and perhaps rotors, but Brembo and AP calipers were the norm amongst the GT1, GT2 and GT3 cars.

I know the Manthey GT3s run Brembos as i had a poster of it, not sure if it was the 2008 or 2007 car, i support they could have changed in 2009. But i cant recall seeing a single car run Endles calipers

Any more info on the brake setups and the Nurburgring 24hr results? I was walking around the pits at the SPA 24Hr and they may have been using Endless pads, and perhaps rotors, but Brembo and AP calipers were the norm amongst the GT1, GT2 and GT3 cars.

Hi Roy,

We'll be speaking this week to Ben @ The Real JDM who wrote the article about the Nurburgring 24hr race and will ask him for more info as you asked above. We will also ask Endless for info about this.

We don't want to clog up Martin's thread with a discussion about Endless brakes at the Nurburgring 24 hour and the philosophy of hardcore JDM, so we'll post up the info from Ben / Endless in a separate thread when we receive it.

Tried to move the initial reply at the top of this page to a separate thread, but missed the time limit to edit - apologies Martin.

If everyone can refrain from replies about Endless brakes at the Nurburgring 24 hour and the philosophy of hardcore JDM until we have a new thread, that'd be great. A hardcore JDM thread would definitely be an interesting discussion.

Have just sent a message to sewid to see if he can move the posts to a separate thread.

Back to the topic of the Willall GT-R ... it's a seriously quick car :cool:

- The Tuners Group

Edited by TheTunersGroup

I'll be speaking to Ben @ The Real JDM who wrote the article about the Nurburgring 24hr race and will ask him for more info as you asked above. I will also ask Endless for info about this.

Well when you are speaking to Ben you may want to point out that he has some of his wires crossed :cool: He needs to change the and/or to just pads, perhaps rotors. The GT3 cars do not run Endless, not the calipers at least, and its my experience that the rotors are very commonly Performance Friction, though imagine AP or Brembo are just as popular. Brembo and then AP Racing supply the bulk of GT3, GT2, GT1 and Formula 1 teams. Endless kit is no doubt good, but....

Best post in this thread period :P

hehehehe, the R35 section is always good for a laugh, lots of feathers being ruffled...sticking feathers up your bum does not make you a chicken!

gallery_462_50_7269.png

Reality check...we are all losers. Along with time you will never get back from reading forums, think about the money spent on cars that youwill never get back...

Me, i embrace my inner loser and know that even my R32 GTst has more class then me! :( I wish i wasnt such a tight ass and had a camera phone, would love to have posted up the hot pink R35 i saw on the way to work here in Singapore the other week, crappiest masking job around windows/glass and had a black roof, S13 drift style. LOL, who let that fella in to the Elite R35 club :P

That all said, keeping posting this stuff up. It all seems pretty full weight at present, real curious to see how much weight can be pulled out of these barges and what that does to their performance. The thing has been around for a while and am quite surprised nobody seems to have gone crazy with performance mods in one yet, because god knows there is enough in the aftermarket these days that you could fill the shopping trolley and builda behemoth!

SHUTUP Gibbo_r35. Ur an Arrogant F**kwit. We all have a right to comment. I didn't know you owned the forum. How are the repayments going, you keep commenting how you should sell the r35 so you don;t modify it. Shit man if you can;t afford to mod it, you shouldnt comment about it.

Lol another awesome keyboard warrior.

Seeing you asked, the repayments are going very well, social security pays quite well however I have been forced to take up drug dealing to pay for the servicing. Other than that the family is also well and we are hoping to spend some time at the beach this weekend......opps sorry too much information, I thought you were asking because you cared.

I have not commented on how I should sell this car, I love this car and the mods that have been done. I would consider buying an everyday car to keep this for the weekends.

The comments were more tongue in cheek, if you bothered to check out my other posts you would realise this.

Anyhow I certainly do not mind opinions from people like yourselves, it allows me to deomstrate to my kids why they should stay in school and not do drugs.

Happy Easter. :devil:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back on topic, great result for the Willall boys at TA round 1. I for one won't be taking the street car out next time, and I know the builds for a lot of the other guys has also stepped up considerably. There always has to be someone at the front to be a target - it makes the rest of us try that little bit harder.

Oh and Martin tell Keir I'm sorry for any drool my Girlfriend left all over the dash when she was recording the times at the event. I swear she loves that car more than she loves me!