SAU Community

Radiator re-core Problem

My radiator was recently re-corded after crashing my R33 GTS-t. I picked the radiator up today and it feels heavier. I know it was aluminium before because it wasn't painted and was really light. Now the entire radiator has been sprayed black and im thinking it’s something other then aluminium.

I have no experience with radiators and just wondered if it’s easy to tell by looking at it? I want to get more of an idea before I ask the guys who fixed it.

It cost me $340 for the re-core.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AFAIK every radiator recore done for less than $500 is a brass or something. If you want to pay double that you can get a Trust or Koyo race type in polished alloy.

The standard one is alloy but the replacements are better. I have a triple core in mine.

T.

AFAIK every radiator recore done for less than $500 is a brass or something. If you want to pay double that you can get a Trust or Koyo race type in polished alloy.

The standard one is alloy but the replacements are better. I have a triple core in mine.

T.

Is that a triple core copper or aluminium. hey do you know how to tell how many core your radiator is?

Copper has better heat sinking properties than aluminium so it's probably going to be a more effective radiator. But it has a fair bit of extra weight, and I imagine it's not nearly as corrosion-resistant, so I dunno.

Either way, copper is more expensive than aluminium. Whether a better option or not, you got a more expensive radiator for your money.

Triple core refers to the number of layers the radiator has. The easiest way to tell is by the thickness of the radiator. A single core is usually only no more than 10-12mm thick. U can count the number of cores by looking down the radiator through the top

Triple core refers to the number of layers the radiator has. The easiest way to tell is by the thickness of the radiator. A single core is usually only no more than 10-12mm thick. U can count the number of cores by looking down the  radiator through the top

Looking through the radiator cap hole it has two holes for each fin which run from top to bottom. I guess this means double core.