SAU Community

Where Do Skylines Get Speedo Signal For Ecu?

As above, where do Skylines get the speed signal for the ECU from?

Cant be gearbox (not on 32s anyway) as 32s have a speedo cable & yet the ECU still gets a signal...

I have a digital speed readout on my turbo timer (which is mounted just above cluster) & it's not working.

Recently installed an RB25DET & had the original ECU from that installed, didn't work.

Now have a Haltech, doesn't work.

Car has been off the road that long I can't remember if it stopped working while the RB20 was in or just since I've swapped engine & box.

99% sure it had stopped working even with the 20.

Problem is I fitted the R33 box with the engine & haven't sorted the cable yet so have no speedo at all.

Would be nice to have some idea how fast I'm going!

Also caused a few problems with ECU where things want to be speed activated, such as VCT, etc (can get around it but still...)

Would be really handy if someone could help me out so I can fix everything.

Cheers,

Brett

Ok trying to remember off the top of my head it goes like this:

R33 - electronic speed signal from gearbox to dash - then electronic singal goes to ECU - then electronic signal goes to HICAS ECU

R32 - cable speed signal from gearbox to dash - then electronic signal goes to ECU - then electronic signal goes to HICAS ECU

So really they are the same other than the initial signal from the gearbox itself.

So you're saying that if cluster doesn.t work, neither will digital speedo?

Was pretty sure at least one of the times I stripped the gear off the speedo cable (cluster end) the dash speedo didn't work but the digital speedo did... Could be wrong but. If you're right I definitely am.

my mate put a 25 into his ceffy and had issues with the speedo. he wired the wires straight to the ecu and then the first time he went for a drive he was hitting the speed cut in ist gear. seemed to be that when it is wired through the dash it drops the voltage, so without it the ecu thought he was going much faster than he was. i think he ended up just cutting the wires to the ecu. he was using a rev speed meter for the speedo.