SAU Community

Rb20 Cams.... Any Power Gains With Lightly Modified Engine?

chalky

heres a pic of a back to back comparison stock vs HKS 260 9.0 cams

motor is stock standerd with a GT30R .63, xs power high mount manifold, EMS stinger ecu and gtr injectors.

cams DO HELP dont listen to those that say they are a waste on the rb20's

post-9760-1268837775_thumb.jpg

thats the 2nd motor ive seen these cams in that have made a difference.

It could be possible Roys might have been installed with the wrong dial in or a tooth out on a gear.

I didn't say factory cams cant be improved with adjustments. but aftermarket cam's WILL result in greater gains.

the above dyno sheet doesn't show the torque curve, that was the most impressive part with the curve staying alot more broad across the rev's

Could have been your tuner didn't even properly attempt to play with the factory cams...

See where this is going?

We can play he said/she said all night if we want. For you to say "dont listen to those that say they are a waste" is wrong.

Thats why i am going back to the 10cm housing, Plazmaman plenum...will see if cams work for it then. Need to beat that R31 fella making more power then me :D

Come on Trent, give me the specs of something you have seen work. :) I am torn between installing my solid lifters with some 260/10.25mm cams to go with the 10cm housing and 2.4L bottom end or just keep my money in my pocket and keep reving the crap out of the lil std motor and see how it goes. I am so hot and cold about all this :( Its safer to go with a known RB26 or RB30 setup, but.... :)

QFT......queue natalie imbruglia :)

The HKS cams may work better then the Apexi cams i had. But that is the catch, if the tuner has spent time on the dyno tuning the engine with std cams and cam gear settings. Then install the cams and go through all the same rigmorol trying to get them dialle din and working. In my case the car went backwards with very similar spec cams as to the HKS.

I dont think there is any chance that the tuner isntalled the cams a tooth out etc etc. Whislt anything is possible, a lot of time was spent trying to get the power and response back and he is the builder / tuner of some of the quickest Skylines in the country (Racepace), so would be shocked if that was my problem.

But, not to say the HKS cams are not a little piece of majoc...lol, i sold my HKS cams, maybe i shoudl see if they guy still has them :P

heres a pic of a back to back comparison stock vs HKS 260 9.0 cams

motor is stock standerd with a GT30R .63, xs power high mount manifold, EMS stinger ecu and gtr injectors.

cams DO HELP dont listen to those that say they are a waste on the rb20's

I can tell straight up from that graph that the dyno operator has changed ramp rates to manipulate the curve... plain as day.

Thats why i am going back to the 10cm housing, Plazmaman plenum...will see if cams work for it then. Need to beat that R31 fella making more power then me :D

Come on Trent, give me the specs of something you have seen work. :D I am torn between installing my solid lifters with some 260/10.25mm cams to go with the 10cm housing and 2.4L bottom end or just keep my money in my pocket and keep reving the crap out of the lil std motor and see how it goes. I am so hot and cold about all this :( Its safer to go with a known RB26 or RB30 setup, but.... :(

That i'd like to see, the extra 0.4 and the lift should work well with the 10cm.

• 3 months later...