SAU Community

Fuel 98

Black_CSR

Hi Guys

Just put some Fuel on the line tonight n they had no Ultimate 98 so i asked if i could get 98 elsewhere

and they said no 1 else has and that they are having problems at the Terminal. Then i ask when some

will be in and they didn't know. So i used 95.

This was in Cannington.

So where have u guys been filling up and is this only Temporary???

Cesar

Edited by Black_CSR

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used 95 but didn't put Octane Booster.. I didn't put much only 20bux so about 15 Litres only.

I don't really like using Octane booster as it Fouls ur Plug quicker.. although i will be changing them soon

when i go 4 a Tune to BKR7E n running 18psi. I have BKR6E-11 in there at the moment.

I don't believe it ^

I filled up with Peak 98 once when i was low on fuel and still about 200kms away from the nearest BP that i knew of, and my car did not like it. I only got 300kms out of that tank, compared to the 500kms i usually get to a tank of BP Ultimate. Driving the exact same way i always do, if not more relaxed, doubt i ever went over 3000rpm. So got terrible fuel consumption, as well as the car feeling a bit more sluggish, even if i was taking it easy. Everything went back to normal once i filled up with BP again.

I hate Peak fuel with a passion. No car i have ever driven has driven well on Peak. I will use Caltex Vortex if i have too, but usually only ever use BP Ultimate.

P.S. Nice car :)

Edited by Hanaldo

BP supply every servo in W.A they have the only refinery over here, hence why shell dont sell there 100 octane over here cause they would have to truck it, same reason we dont get E85 readily available.

Tip: I've heard from a Ex-BP S.S. Manager that works at a Peak S.S. now....he said that Peak98 is the EXACT same fuel as BP Ultimate :)

All fuel is made by BP @ Kwinana but vortex 98 and peak 98 are different recipes to bp ultimate 98

BP make it to their customers specificatoins

lol...of course he is going to say that Peak 98 is the same as BP Ultimate 98, he works for them now and sells their fuel.

It's quite amazing how all these theories are constructed. FYI, there are seven fuel refineries in Aus and dependent on state the majors i.e. Shell, BP and Clatex purchase of each other. The other fuel companies buy from these refineries, overseas and whereever they can get cheap supply. What is definitely not the truth is that different brand 98 octane fuels are the same. Yes, they may buy the base fuel from the same refinery, but what happens once this base fuel is at the different terminals makes the difference. So no, Peak fuel is no way as good as BP Ultimate 98 and no BP do not supply every station in WA. If you really want quality 98 octane fuel in WA it has to be Ultimate 98 or Vortex 98 as a second choice. All the other 98 octane fuels may meet the RON but what they don't have is the energy to match it with these fuels.

Also, Shell don't supply 100 octane fuel anywhere in Australia and haven't done so for about 18 months. They just didn't sell enough of it and it was expensive to produce. They also don't supply their V-Power fuel because it's additive package, being the best in the industry, is logistically very expensive to supply where they don't have a refinery.

As motoring enthusiasts, don't let anybody tell you all fuels are the same. It's like saying the Chinese rip off of that expensive HKS turbo is as good 'cause it may use a common part.

How do I know all this...I used to work very closely with these products in the industry.

Must admit - my car is only a Gts (R33) and it didnt like Vortex. Got about 70ks less for the tank, not driving it any differently. What I don't understand is that the sign said Vortex 95, not Vortex 98 - but the sign had the same design etc as with Vortex 98 (blue if I remember correctly) not like the 95 design (silver and red) - and the price difference from 91 was 14 cpl, just like the difference between 91 and 98. But the chick behind the desk told me it was definitely 95 when I queried it. Spewing Shell don't have a 98 octane version though - I like their fuel and theyre usually a fair bit cheaper than BP..

Well for some reason my mates R31 doesn't like BP ultimate at all. Causes lots of problems and he gets about 200kms less to a tank than he does with like Peak 95... Will have to see how it goes once it has the RB25DET in it

RB30? Probably isnt tuned for 98. Don't use 98 if you're not tuned for it, you get no gains at all.

What about all the newish cars that come out. Most say use 95 oct right? But if i was to buy a new car i would use 98... Simply because its a cleaner burning fuel.

Or do the newish engines are able to handle a range of oct levels? For example i see honda euros at petrol stations... Some people fill oct 91 some 95 and 98... when they reccomend 95?