SAU Community

Precision Billet Turbos

Looks like Mercury motor sports has ditched the 8285 on nitto for a promod88 :-D

I also read this on FB yesterday. Here is a few pictures for people

12_zps3d4fc63b.jpg

122_zpsc8f73bfa.jpg

7675 comp covers.

gt42 style vs hp.

different surge porting.

different outlet.

is the 42 really worth an extra $700?

im assuming they would have the same comp wheels.

anyone had a play with them?

Was leaning toward the EFR 83/74.. but my mechanic told me th journal bearing shouldn't be any laggier/sluggish than the same turbo with DBB. what,s your take on this for a 6262 ? With the journal worth 1100$, its a 1100$ +tax/duties saving over an EFR, it's worth considering haha :)

Was leaning toward the EFR 83/74.. but my mechanic told me th journal bearing shouldn't be any laggier/sluggish than the same turbo with DBB. what,s your take on this for a 6262 ? With the journal worth 1100$, its a 1100$ +tax/duties saving over an EFR, it's worth considering haha :)

Its a matter of you get what you pay for.. Most guys in here are using the DBB option and paying over $2000 a turbo. I think it would be naive to a degree to expect to obtain the same results with a turbo half the price. Whilst I have no doubt their Journal Bearing option will still be ok, If i purchased one I wouldnt expect the same results as the DBB ones.

R

Its a matter of you get what you pay for.. Most guys in here are using the DBB option and paying over $2000 a turbo. I think it would be naive to a degree to expect to obtain the same results with a turbo half the price. Whilst I have no doubt their Journal Bearing option will still be ok, If i purchased one I wouldnt expect the same results as the DBB ones.

R

This is what I though too, but since I have high regards for my mechanic and some drift driver sponsored/great deal by PTE use his mechanic service so I thought his opinion about PTE turbos should be right. so MAYBE... journal bearing improved a lot in the last few years... I don't know lol.. this got me confused, but tbh, if I'm going to pay 2000$ for a PTE DBB, I might as wel bite the bullet on the efr I think :)

You are over-thinking it, the turbocharger should be sized appropriately (using a compressor map) to your engine... bearing type should be one of the last considerations.

Put it this way, I bought a Borg Warner S366 which has very similar size and design turbine and compressor wheels as a EFR9180 but is journal bearing and doesn't have the fancy material compressor wheel, wanky & ugly (IMO) BOV in the compressor housing. Cost me all of $750.00, flows the air that I need at the required pressure ratio.

Edited by bigmikespec
  • Like 1

7675 comp covers.

gt42 style vs hp.

different surge porting.

different outlet.

is the 42 really worth an extra $700?

im assuming they would have the same comp wheels.

anyone had a play with them?

It's twin scroll divided housing vs open. GT42 style also has a larger comp cover, that's the difference.

It's twin scroll divided housing vs open. GT42 style also has a larger comp cover, that's the difference.

can get both with a t4 divided rear.

gt42 with 0.96, 1.12, 1.22 options.

hp with 0.81 and 0.96 options.

the exhaust outlet is bigger on the gt.

gt42 is obviously a larger front cover.

but, considering the same rear housing (0.96), would there be any difference to spool time or outlet temps?

has anyone done back to back testing?

I know an awesome tuner that now loves bolting precisions onto RB's and adding some E85 and some other magic and numbers happen :yes:

Hi Noy

Been waiting to see what the end result was. Any updates or did I miss it?

I am having PT6262 CEA SP installed this week

• Like 1