SAU Community

Rb25 In S13 Cranking But Not Starting

Hey guys I've just about finished an rb25 swap in my friends s13 and now were stuck on something. The motor will crank/turn-over, but it wont start. It sounds like it has great compression but just isnt getting the vitals. I'm not sure if the ecu has power, which would explain everything, but I also dont hear the fuel pump even priming. There is a small blue plug on the lower harness that we could not match up to its pair, nor figure out what it is. I will go over all of the grounds again just to make sure but I'm almost positive that those are correct. Any help is appreciated, thanks guys, I've already used a ton of info from this site and it has been extremely useful.

altho by the sounds of it uv got some sort of electrical problem, the most common thing iv seen done by people doing conversions at home is put the fuel lines on the fuel rail the wrong way.... make sure the one with the fuel filter DOES NOT connect to the fuel rail end with the pressure reg....

as for ur problem, i would be tracking down the a wiring diagram and check all your powers to a the ecu, especiialy ignition wiring,

make sure he doesnt have an alarm or kill switch he forgot to tell u about.

we checked the fuel lines and they were wrong... hah my bad. we have the ecu power and ground skipping the relay and going to direct power and direct ground. were getting 12v at the ecu with a meter so we know its getting power. after trying to start it with the fuel lines going the correct way is still does the same thing, cranks, sounds good, but doesnt spudder or hicup or anything. just keeps cranking and thats about it. I guess the next thing would be to check spark... how much is the ignition tied into the coilpacks? Were about to go over the ignition wires again to bring them to a solid connection instead of trying to go through plugs and relays. Thanks for the response, so far so good!

ur ecu needs to be switched on to start with (so it should be getting 12v from the ign switch) then it looks for a ign signal from the Cam angle sensor.... if there is no signal from that (which is another thing to check) then the ecu will not fire the coilpacks.....

as u said, check if its getting spark, if it isnt, check the CAS circuit and the power for the ecu from ignition...

also wot ecu u using?

the ecu that we are using is just a stock rb25 5spd ecu. the ecu is also getting 12v to the power ports on the plug. and the fuel pump is also getting power now because it primes right before the car starts. when i reversed the fuel lines after trying to start it a couple times with them backwards, i did have fuel pressure built up in one of the hoses. so i know im getting fuel to the rail. i havent checked spark yet but that will be done tomorrow or the following day when i get the time. I'll check the ign power with a meter and the CAS. thanks for the help, ill keep you posted.

I am said friend putting the RB25 into my 240. I am currently re-doing the timing belt to see if this motor will crank...

As i was doing this my CAS bracket decided to break in half for no reason... it fell off while i was looking at the belt. Does anyone know where i can order a new bracket

nissan will have a new one, but ur better off getting one from someone on here in the forsale section

if its backfiring or poping thru the air filter then ur timing is out....

either the timing belt is out a tooth (or so) or the CAS is out (or faulty)

check that the 3 timing marks line up

• 4 months later...

i am having the exact same problem, got spark and fuel, the timing marks all line up, put a screw driver on the piston when checking TDC the timing seems to look fine, the only weird thing is the normal position that the plug on the CAS sits at is no where near where it should be the plug and wires have to stretch right over turning the CAS clockwise 180 deg, when the cam timing marks are lined up which mark on the harmonic balancer should line up with the timing cover mark? my timing cover mark is pointing just right of the last timing mark on the balancer, thats if u spin it clockwise its the last mark.

sorry for bringing up old thread but i am having the exact same problem, got spark and fuel, the timing marks all line up, put a screw driver on the piston when checking TDC the timing seems to look fine, the only weird thing is the normal position that the plug on the CAS sits at is no where near where it should be the plug and wires have to stretch right over turning the CAS clockwise 180 deg, when the cam timing marks are lined up which mark on the harmonic balancer should line up with the timing cover mark? my timing cover mark is pointing just right of the last timing mark on the balancer, thats if u spin it clockwise its the last mark.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• The existing factory sub feed should already have a sum of L+R and a low pass filter, so it probably isn't necessary to take another L and R feed from the HU.  If it didn't have a factory sub output, then that would be the best option though. Does your new amp not have speaker level inputs?  that would eliminate the need for the speaker - line level converter completely.  
    • The query here, is how do you arrange all of your spares and other random items? And then, what do you do, if you think you're hitting that point where you won't need them any more?   So, but of background; I've had lots of different cars, and tinkered with lots of cars over the last 18 odd years. In addition, I have a habit of ending up with things, I'll now never need again. For example, for the R33, I've got a side mount intercooler, and a GTR front mount cooler, as well as random items like aftermarket cam gears, starter motors, power steering pumps, and even things as random as the really small fuse box, that sits right beside the battery.  So firstly, I've got a lot of stuff right there, that I'll never need again, as I'm not playing street/stock cars. So, I probably need to clear some items out, and at the same time, I hate Facebook Market place and dealing with people. So other than throwing this stuff out, how do you guys deal with it? Do you have a similar stash of parts hidden away taking up space?   So then the next part is, I have lots of stuff like aluminium pipe to make inlets from, lots and lots of electrical stuff too for making custom wiring looms, and so many random things. How do you guys organise all of your stuff? I've moved a lot, and lots of my stuff was just in random cardboard and plastic boxes, that were starting to fall apart! Lots of it was stacked on shelves in said boxes, and I've just gotten new shelving, and I'm re arranging the garage to fit some new (to me) large tools in. That means I'm presently opening boxes, being ruthless and ditching the trash (I think about 30 cables that would suit a TV/Desktop PC went in the bin alone!). However, now I've got parts laying in the middle of the garage floor while I work out how to store them on shelves. The shelves are all high, so if I lay all the parts out nicely on shelving, I lose heaps of space. But if I shove them all back in boxes, I'm back to square one!   So what mysterious and creative storage solutions have you come up with? That is other than making the garage bigger, and buying more shelving, and pushing this problem back another 5 to 10 years...   Oh, and lots of things I have, are for projects I want to do one day, or am slowly doing too... The 80HDs can make life hard sometimes... So more storage space probably isn't the best idea...   Let's add another random question too, how much space is being taken up in your workshop/garage from parts you bought years ago, and still haven't fitted? Example, I have a brand new Safari Snorkel for the LandCruiser, and a box of RedArc gauges.    Since November of 2016...  
    • So I've been working on the car a fair bit, doing a lot of little things. Preparing some projects for this winter, as I'm taking 13 weeks off very soon for parental leave. Have my second kid on the way and he's due any week now. I'll need something to do while he's sleeping. I also usually take the car off the road in about a month and a half, until sometime around the end of March.  Still making slight adjustments to my tune, as the cold weather settles in. I've also had to start dropping boost and tire pressure as the weather gets cooler. It's getting very swirly at highway speeds. I drop to 20psi at 20C and 18psi spring pressure at 10C IAT's. I'm currently on 255 Falcon RT660's, but may look into running 275's next summer. They will fit, but barely. Might have to raise the rear a tad.  I'll start redoing my exhaust Monday, as I have the week off. I currently have an oval center muffler and cannon rear muffler. I've been told more then once from people behind me that my rear bumper is going to catch on fire one day. Seems I blow 5-10 second flames after doing a pull. No clue if that's the WMI, as I've never been able to do that before with other cars. I wanted to angle my tip down a tad so flames are pointed down and away from bumper. I also wanted to take the opportunity to reconfigure my exhaust line. I'm going to move my oval muffler to the rear with a pie cut angled tip and put in a new smaller round muffler in the center. I've rocked cannon mufflers on this car for the last few years and want to transition back the oval muffler look. I've also been looking for a stainless project to try out the new solar flux I bought. I'll post pictures on Monday, should be able to wrap that up in a day.  I'm also picking up another rear subframe this week. I wanted a second so that I could modify one with a gk tech anti squat reduction kit during the winter, and still be able to keep the car a roller so I can back it out of the garage if needed. I will also be caging it this winter. More on that later. Lastly, Speedtek still hasn't given me diddly squat. Every week for the last 4 weeks, they have been saying next week. They told me Friday to expect a shipping label that day to ship my two bad sets of ring and pinions back and nothing. There's definitely been more contact since I started destroying their company any chance I get on Facebook, but it's still just words without action.   
    • Have you done a pressure test on your intake/piping? Cleaned your IACV and Cold start valve?
    • Bit of a dump of ones I saw on my trip. I also have a heap from daikoko but that’s technically not  on the street