SAU Community

Skyline Series 1 R33 Gts T Miss Firing Problem, Changed Coils, Checked Voltage At Coils ,checked Earths ?

ok so wat was wrong originally was i got a tune and got the boost wound up and then it started to missfire i also have after market ecu (link). it only missfired under full snap on throttle so i changed plugs a little bit better then still missfiring.so i bought some new coil packs from performance wise (yellow jackets) and put them in took it for drive and they break down straight away where is the standard coils didnt they reved out most of the time .the yellow jackets made it worse they were brand new coils i dont understand . so i checked earth wire at back of valley near number 6 cylinder it was fine . so i checked all plugs on coils the middle terminal on all of them had 12v and the two outside ones were earths so checked that wat do i do next ?

can someone please help me on wat to do u can also hear the stanard coils arching out when engine is idleing if that helps?

reguards dan.

whats the gap on the plugs? 0.7 to 0.8

check plugs on injectors (was my problem when had a misfire)

check wiring harness on coils

check ignitor amplifier -little box on back of coil pack cover ( http://www.scribd.com/doc/6654050/Nissan-S...3-Engine-Manual ) page EN 319

check plug on computer

go back to tuner and get him to chuck it back on the dyno and see what it is doing

a bit off flashing around the coils is normal but if you can hear it it may be a different story (try get it in a garage at night with all the lights turned off and have a look for large sparks and misfiring at the same time)

i have ngk .7 gapped i checked voltages and the two earths in all the coil plugs i cant get my head round it how do i check igniter box to see if its ok ? would it be my cas ?if earths and 12v is in each coil plug then that part of it should be right ???

• 1 month later...
wat the new coils ? u sure .6 would fix ? isnt that a bit to small of a gap

Old post but still...

By 0.6 he is referring to the resistance of the coils (measured in ohms and should be 0.6 - 0.9ohms). Not an ideal way of testing as it will not show tiny cracks. Better off looking at the coils at night (with the valley cover off) and see for sparks or using electrical tape to tape the coil pack stem (that sits on top of spark plug) and see if that helps. If it does, then you need new coil packs.

:)