SAU Community

Obd Datacable Consult

Johnspec

A well known auction site is selling what appears to be a new age version of the CONSULT described in the original GTR workshop manuals. It basically includes the cable that hooks up to the connector in the fuse box and connects to software on your laptop via USB. Just wondering if anyone has purchased one of these and found it to useful or a dud.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/OBD-datacable-consu...a#ht_7276wt_939

The figures displayed in one of the software screen shots were clearly bogus but it's hard to tell..

Hi Johnspec,

I don't know about the exact cable being sold on eBay but it looks very similar to one I bought for a friend recently.

These guys are based in Adelaide and make a USB cable that plugs into the Consult interface: http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/consult_if.shtml

The list of supported vehicles is available here: http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/consult_vehicles.htm

My mate has a late 90s Maxima and used the PLMS cable successfully to detect a knock sensor fault. Whether it's suitable for proper tuning work I have no idea.

Cheers

Hey, I've used a Nissan version of the Consult cable but its only limited to the software you've got. With the basic software they provide or that you can download, you'll only be able to detect errors and check up on engine vitals. You'll need to purchase the full software if you want to be able to tune your car. Check out NIstune videos on youtube as they demonstrate how to do basic tuning using their software.

Hope that helped :D

its not the 'ebay' thats selling them, but a seller on ebay, in this case in latvia (read into the location what you will)

similar cable to the ecutalk/plms (aus) or blazt (nz) cables - they all work with same software etc.

dont think its a 'new age' version of consult or anything like that, definitely cant compare them with the nissan consult unit itself, <$100 isnt going to do half of what a $5000 piece of equipment will do, but it does most of what you need - the sensor readings and fault codes. has saved many people a trip to mechanics (often costs more than the cable) if theyve been able to see a certain sensor is dead or a fault code has been triggered etc. found many a dead o2 sensor which costs people lots of $ in lost fuel economy.

the cables shouldn't be duds, but for another $2.01 ($75) it might be worth getting an ecutalk one, or a bit more for plms/blazt. the obd scantech + ecutalk combo is more than adequate for majority of people, i wouldnt spend extra $ on any paid software unless you know you need it

+1 for ecutalk cable. i have a USB one which i bought from a certain member on the pulsar forums who is also on this forum (didn't know they were on this forum until after i had bought it, but makes no difference). you know who you are, LOL

I've got a serial cable from PLMS and a license for Nissan Datascan, ran it on my carpc full time and it was invaluable with the sensor/fault readouts and the datalogging.

I've got a serial cable from PLMS and a license for Nissan Datascan, ran it on my carpc full time and it was invaluable with the sensor/fault readouts and the datalogging.

Me too. Get a cable and register for datascan from plms. You then know your cable is guaranteed to work and have technical backup with the software. With the cheap chinese knock offs, its a bit hit and miss with the cable.

And newkleer knows his stuff on this gear too. He has been pro active for quite a while on this gear.

Edited by Lippo

its not the 'ebay' thats selling them, but a seller on ebay, in this case in latvia (read into the location what you will)

similar cable to the ecutalk/plms (aus) or blazt (nz) cables - they all work with same software etc.

dont think its a 'new age' version of consult or anything like that, definitely cant compare them with the nissan consult unit itself, <$100 isnt going to do half of what a $5000 piece of equipment will do, but it does most of what you need - the sensor readings and fault codes. has saved many people a trip to mechanics (often costs more than the cable) if theyve been able to see a certain sensor is dead or a fault code has been triggered etc. found many a dead o2 sensor which costs people lots of $ in lost fuel economy.

the cables shouldn't be duds, but for another $2.01 ($75) it might be worth getting an ecutalk one, or a bit more for plms/blazt. the obd scantech + ecutalk combo is more than adequate for majority of people, i wouldnt spend extra $ on any paid software unless you know you need it

+1 ecutalk is worth every cent :D

I've installed permanently in my car.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys, just wondering with these consult cables etc does it work with an aftermarket ecu, will this still be able to read the fault codes etc? i have a Vipec installed. i am yet to get vipec software onto laptop to actually have a look at it myself, it might already be able to read all sensors etc and stock fault codes, im not sure.

Im looking at buying one but if it wont work with aftermarkket ecu then not much point is there.

Thanks

Daz

Hey guys, just wondering with these consult cables etc does it work with an aftermarket ecu, will this still be able to read the fault codes etc? i have a Vipec installed. i am yet to get vipec software onto laptop to actually have a look at it myself, it might already be able to read all sensors etc and stock fault codes, im not sure.

Im looking at buying one but if it wont work with aftermarkket ecu then not much point is there.

Thanks

Daz

Full aftermarket systems (ECU) - NO

Some piggyback ECU - Sometimes

Stock ECU - Yes

generally remaps, nistune, daughterboards, and piggyback systems all retain consult. sometimes the readings wont be accurate if you're intercepting signal (SAFC etc) and so on.

but replace the nissan ecu with another one (power fc, haltech, ems, etc) and no it wont work.