SAU Community

Weight Redution

ryan101

Well given you are melbourne, no.

The defects you will attract are not really worth the grief.

I mean yes the less you weigh the faster you go, but don't think by changing a bonnet you'll suddenly be even 5% faster. You'd have to remove 100KG's+ to really feel a difference IMO.

As for vents - do you have current cooling issues?

Vents help with cooling, however the dynamics of high/low pressure area's I've never really dug into

ive been looking for a carbon fibre OEM style bonnet (so i can spray it the colour of my car) for my 33 for AGES. problem is the most common ones have vents in them.

some american car club did a test on a nissan sentra a few years back to get it from complete stock (16s 1/4 mile) to see how fast it would go with all its weight stripped off. from memory it ended up doing around 12s after removing every panel and part that wasnt needed which included chopping the roof.

ive been looking for a carbon fibre OEM style bonnet (so i can spray it the colour of my car) for my 33 for AGES. problem is the most common ones have vents in them.

I had this idea a while back as well. It sounds like a great idea although the biggest problem is being a skyline you'll most likely be pulled over anyway "for the sake of it". As soon as they pop the bonnet they will see underneath and it will be pretty obvious that it isn't standard. Would be a fantastic idea in a true sleeper that will pass by unnoticed in the first place.

Luke

I had this idea a while back as well. It sounds like a great idea although the biggest problem is being a skyline you'll most likely be pulled over anyway "for the sake of it". As soon as they pop the bonnet they will see underneath and it will be pretty obvious that it isn't standard. Would be a fantastic idea in a true sleeper that will pass by unnoticed in the first place.

Luke

i dont think they'd really notice. i'd spray the inside of the bonnet anyway, they would just have to notice the reo on the underside of the bonnet isnt there - most (if not all) wont pick up on that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree.

I think the 15-20odd kg you will save for a cost of $1500 on a 1400-1500kg car is not money well spent.

If you took 20kg out of a 700kg S1 lotus elise that might be a different story.

If its a GTR forget it, the bonnet is aluminium anyway and you are paying a fortune to save a few kg. The boot, spoiler and all hinges weigh a bit though.

some american car club did a test on a nissan sentra a few years back to get it from complete stock (16s 1/4 mile) to see how fast it would go with all its weight stripped off. from memory it ended up doing around 12s after removing every panel and part that wasnt needed which included chopping the roof.

?