SAU Community

Massive Amount Of Smoke

Aydin

Ok hear we go people.

Im gonna tell the whole story. its a fricken ordeal

About a year ago i snapped a cam shaft on my r33. While fixing this we decided that might aswell do a top end basic rebuild. This was done and all parts were put back on the car.

i started noticing a knocking coming from the engine. mechanic said i was running on 5 cylinders. they checked the packs and i am assuming did compression test and found nothing wrong. After investigation it turned out to be the modulator, i put a new one on and bango bingo the car seemed fine- but then i was tricked again.

A week or so later i starting noticing that when i was getting into boost the engine started cutting out. For those who know it was cutting out like when you boost a car too high and the fuel cut regulator jumps in and kinda stalls the engine. I wasnt running high boost as the EBC is always turned off and when it is off the car reverts to normal stock boost. i havent had the EBC turned on off for like 3 years.

Ok so now the fun starts- when the cutting out (or pinning as some people call it) happened i was so fricken angry that i just flawed it (thought if your gonna blow, blow you SOB). Then a noise like a hose blowing out happened and this incredible whirring noise started. The noise however only happened when accelerating into boost.

By then you would have imagined how angry i was as the amount of $$$ poured into the SOB was topping the thousands. I flawed the sucker and wack the sound dissapeared, but when i looked in the rear vision mirror all i could see was smoke. Im talking like smoke enough to cover all the houses in my street massive massive amounts of smoke. This was acompanied with no boost or power in the engine at all.

People were telling me that its most likely the turbo (seals). i thought that too but when i pulled all the IC piping off there was no oil in them none at all. i also checked the blade, it looks normal, checked for shaft play and there was really none there. If seals are gone do you necasarily get shaft play? I havent pulled the turbo off so i dont know if the rear blade or seals could be the problem. Im assuming that it cant be anything in the head as it is all new and i didnt have much problem with it after i changed the modulator. The car doesnt smoke on idle just when i accelerate.

Can someone help me please, is it turbo gone, is it head need rebuild again anything guys i really need the help.

"Then a noise like a hose blowing out happened and this incredible whirring noise started. The noise however only happened when accelerating into boost."

That might indicate a blown turbo. Listening/watching many a blown turbo youtube vid, they all go VRMMMMMMMMM BAAAAAAAAAAAAM and then make a very loud sound when they spin down, somewhat like the dyno spindown sound but yea. If you inspected for damage, maybe it isn't that. But black smoke certainly means not enough air, not enough air probably means something wrong with turbo or certainly the intake somewhere.

What colour was the smoke?

FWIW Black = rich mixture, blue/white = oil burning.

The colour of the smoke is definately blue/white. and there is heaps of it. i was checking it again today, and again it only happens on acceleration. i havent driven the car since the smoke happened as im too scared im gonna cause more damage. There was no shaft play or anything but i did notice a little bit of oil around the front of the turbo. Nothing in the piping though nothing at all. when you accelerate the car makes a noise like, what all turbo cars do when you hang a burnout. dont know if i can explain it but its like that warrp.....warrp....warrp noise. bloody thing sounds like im doing a burnout when im just accelerating in my garage. im puzzled big time.

Blown turbo would be my bet, when my exhaust wheel went, there was a shitload of blue/white smoke out the back. Take the dump pipe off, on mine it looked fine on the intake side, you cant tell from there.

Looks like you've had issues somewhere with controlling boost, loose pipe or something thats bleeding off air and boosting high, then youve floored it, hit 20psi+ and the turbos just let go.

Edited by Sparky206

Blown turbo would be my bet, when my exhaust wheel went, there was a shitload of blue/white smoke out the back. Take the dump pipe off, on mine it looked fine on the intake side, you cant tell from there.

thats what i am hoping as i have a turbo ready to go. when you pulled your dump pipe off what did you see coz im gona do that tomorrow and would like to know what im looking for. You are correct with the boost issue as we had a lot of trouble when the hoses were pulled off on the top end rebuild. I never thought of that, all that shit is mumble jumble. Im guessing your right when i punched the accelerator i got 20psi and bang. atleast im hoping thats the case. a turbo swap is alot easier than a top end do over.

Edited by Aydin

thats what i am hoping as i have a turbo ready to go. when you pulled your dump pipe off what did you see coz im gona do that tomorrow and would like to know what im looking for. You are correct with the boost issue as we had a lot of trouble when the hoses were pulled off on the top end rebuild. I never thought of that, all that shit is mumble jumble. Im guessing your right when i punched the accelerator i got 20psi and bang. atleast im hoping thats the case. a turbo swap is alot easier than a top end do over.

Well when i took mine off there wasn't an exhaust wheel at all, and mine let go just coming onto boost so id say yours would probably be the same, pretty much unless you find an undamaged exhaust wheel, your going to be replacing the turbo.

Make sure you clean out your cat aswell, and the ceramic dust stuck inside the dump pipe. I found all the remains of my exhaust wheel sitting in the front of my cat, i suspect that's where yours would be also

Well when i took mine off there wasn't an exhaust wheel at all, and mine let go just coming onto boost so id say yours would probably be the same, pretty much unless you find an undamaged exhaust wheel, your going to be replacing the turbo.

Make sure you clean out your cat aswell, and the ceramic dust stuck inside the dump pipe. I found all the remains of my exhaust wheel sitting in the front of my cat, i suspect that's where yours would be also

yep, sounds like the turbo blew.

mine did the exact same thing as this guy.

put my foot down, started to boost then a loud bang, a lot of smoke, enough to cover a few lanes of the road. then it drove like a N/A car 50 metres to the house. garaged it then had the turbo's done.

the mechanic found the exhaust wheel in front of the cat.

thanks heaps guys i havent been able to pull the exhaust off, once i do ill keep you all posted. like i said earlier im hoping it is the turbo coz if so car wil be back on road by next week.

Edited by Aydin

To be honest, you don't sound like the type of person that should be driving a Skyline let alone a modded one. I'm not condemning you, but in terms of public safety I would rather you were off the road until you can settle down...

That aside, the previous posts about blown turbo sound about right, you might try a stock R33 and a basic boost and see how that goes before you blow another $2k turbo....

I admit i might have sounded like a bit of a nut. but when you have poured everything into your car and it doesnt do what you want you have the right to be a little cranky. and just a little FYI ive had this car for five years, never got a speeding fine and never been a hoon, noone in my town even knows it exists. As for the comment i shouldnt be driving a skyline- umm i payed for it, i modded, i put the blood sweat and tears into it,i got it serviced every 8000ks, and i was the one who has only done 20000kms in it in the past 5 years- so i think i have the absolute right to own it.

lets stick to giving advice on how we can solve the problems we have- i respect all that is said but noone really knows anyone on this site, so saying things like im not the type to own a skyline is not fair and comments like that should be kept to yourself.

thanks again guys

all your advice has ben productive ill keep you posted.

Edited by Aydin

Well as I said, I'm not trying to judge you or anything, I'm just letting you know that your comment "i was so fricken angry that i just flawed it" makes me fear for my safety. I'm not in your State even, but still, it isn't good to have a high powered car in the control of someone that takes their anger to the road.

I wouldn't normally bring it up but you specifically mentioned it, and for the sake of all of SAU, it would be better if you controlled yourself, or at least didn't post like that >_>

Edited by Thelen

Well as I said, I'm not trying to judge you or anything, I'm just letting you know that your comment "i was so fricken angry that i just flawed it" makes me fear for my safety. I'm not in your State even, but still, it isn't good to have a high powered car in the control of someone that takes their anger to the road.

I wouldn't normally bring it up but you specifically mentioned it, and for the sake of all of SAU, it would be better if you controlled yourself, or at least didn't post like that >_>

advice taken- and my pm reply has been sent- the pm should put your mind at ease.

now lets move on- and get some more help regarding my problem lol.

Yea PM recieved and understood, as I said I'm not trying to post negatively, but it doesn't help if cops read this forum and see people post like you did. It would go a long way towards being able to change the stupid rules that vic/nsw/qld/road and EPA have made if we can show we are a sensible and civilized lot. All the mods we do don't increase driving risk or even emissions if tuned right, so if we can avoid posting like we are angry dangerous, then it might help.

That aside, as above, you might find it cheapest to get a compression test. Then after, a general tune. Should cost $150 and $250 respectively, and will show what is the problem.