SAU Community

Contesting A Speeding Ticket.

KezR33

I've just received a second speeding ticket in a matter of days for getting caught in the same spot twice, and I fear a third will be on the way.

Quite simply I didn't see the camera till I drove past there at night and caught the flash (this one I haven't received yet). The camera was on the highway about 50 meters before a 90kph sign, and I've been caught both times at around 87-88ks (its an 80 zone before the sign).

Is there anyway I can contest this? I don't mind copping one fine, but all 3? Being on my P's that's more than half my points! Could I claim that I didn't realise that section was still 80 (I honestly thought speeding up when you saw the next sign was legal), and that the following two fines are unfair as I didn't receive my first fine before getting clocked for the following two?

Thanks for any input.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignorance is not an excuse of the law. Doesnt matter that you didnt know. Sorry but i think your a gonner if they want to issue all 3

You can only travel the signed speed once you PASS the sign, not before it

lol dude ofcourse you can draft up a letter explaining the situation and civic compliance can take that into account. I doubt that you will get off all 3, but maybe one or two! make sure you get creative in the letter.

if you have a good previous driving record they will take that into account too, but if its bad you may struggle.

BTW- where was the speed camera?

I thought being on your P's and losing 5 or more points in 12 months meant bye bye license?

Or am I on crack? Highly likely!

nar you are right 5 points in 1 yrs or 12 over 3 yr period, which ever is first.

Plus if you got a turbo skyline u need have at least 3 points because if u get caught driving it by someone that knows things about cars, u loose 3 on the spot :D

If you already have two fines - that is license gone.

Write a letter if you want, but factually you have no ground to stand on here so you are not actually "contesting" it. You are writing a letter of "grovel" :D

Wait.. Unless I'm completely over-tired and not reading properly but..

3 fines for going less than 10km/h over the limit?

That would only cost you 1 demerit per fine right?

So 3 demerits in total. You wouldn't lose your license unless you've previously lost points.

If you already have two fines - that is license gone.

Write a letter if you want, but factually you have no ground to stand on here so you are not actually "contesting" it. You are writing a letter of "grovel" ;)

quoted for truth

sucks but :D

and as all the sensibillys around here will telll you shouldnt have been speeding wouldnt be in this problem!

best advice if ur light on points handball a few around the family ;)

Write a letter If you have a decent driving record you have a reasonable chance at getting two of them wiped off. Probably not the first though....... If you already have a few fines you will be pushin $hit uphill.

A mate of mine got off in a very similar situation 3 fines over two days in the same spot doing 56 in a 50 zone. He had only had one fine in 13 years prior to this though.

i got off 3 points for having a P plate in my dark tint, apparently it was not visible but this was just when the green Ps came in and are harder to see through tint.. so a letter helped me out..

even if you got done 3 points should still have 2 left?

i got off 3 points for having a P plate in my dark tint, apparently it was not visible but this was just when the green Ps came in and are harder to see through tint.. so a letter helped me out..

exactly the same thing happened to me, 3 days after I got my tint done professionally at tint professor and asked to make sure tint was legal... cop picked me up about a km away from the tint professor...

in the end i got off, but had to cut a hole in my tint.... tint professor did say however that when im off my p's they will replace the back tint for free and they did

Yeah, I still have full points, but I have lost my license before. Guess I'll be copping them all.

Just pisses me off that the cops would hide there for so long in a spot that clearly isn't dangerous, just a good place to catch people.

I've just received a second speeding ticket in a matter of days for

That would mean 6 points total.

Given he has already lost his license as well... I'd say that's license gone again.

You don't get the "options" letter twice far as I'm aware :D

Yeah, but my point was that it wasn't really aiding the community, or making the roads safer. Speeding up there, or 50meters from there won't prevent accidents or reduce civilian risk. I can think a lot more dangerous places that people regularly speed. Doesn't matter anyway, I'm just venting.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, but my point was that it wasn't really aiding the community, or making the roads safer. Speeding up there, or 50meters from there won't prevent accidents or reduce civilian risk. I can think a lot more dangerous places that people regularly speed. Doesn't matter anyway, I'm just venting.

Thanks guys.

lol

your just catching on its all about revenue raising!! they dont give a fk about the road toll or real crime just making money the government is a business at the end of the day

Just pisses me off that the cops would hide there for so long in a spot that clearly isn't dangerous, just a good place to catch people.

Its not the cops, camera's are privately operated, even cops will tell you that camera's are placed at points to get maximum profit not maximum safety.

That would mean 6 points total.

Given he has already lost his license as well... I'd say that's license gone again.

You don't get the "options" letter twice far as I'm aware :)

if you are done for less than 10k's over (which he stated he was) is only 1 point therefore 3x1=3, 5-3=2= keeping license, if you dont believe me i can show you the calculator i used to work it out.