SAU Community

Contesting A Speeding Ticket.

KezR33

Problem being that most manufacturers tend to make speedos read higher than actual speed so that they have no liability in a case like this. I've only heard of one instance of cars in Australia that read low and that was the Holden Frontera, which used to say 90km/h -/+ when you were doing about 100km/h.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yaaaah I had a friend that got off a speeding fine for that reason, but it was only because the car wasn't his and he didn't know the speedo was out. Complete ignorance. If it's your car it means you know.

When I went to court it was something like a $37 dollar fee. You just sit in a room surrounded by wesley college kids studying politics :blink: I don't think it makes a difference whether you win or not... I didn't win... but I didn't lose either.

People who have taken their fines to court, do you pay court fees when you haven't gotten off?

When I got done for speeding I just decided to waste the courts and police time. Got done. Didn't pay fine. Got a reminder. Filled in to be heard in court. Waited for court date. Rocked up and plead guilty. Cops had to write statement and all this paperwork was sent to me in a thick envelope. I got caught in march 2009. I paid the fine in feb 2010 ;) no court fines where added. Just the initial fine reinstated :D

The last time I remember the court costs were about $58 which in my opinion is a joke. Sorry to say but if I got a fine for up to $500-600 and it only costs me $58 to make police put full brief together, statements etc get brief checked/authorized, issue and serve summons to arrange court date. Then have matter adjourned to further court date, go to contest mention and then have 3rd court date for full contest and then plead guilty make all that work for police/court/prosecutor and only $58 is added to initial fine I think it's a real bargain.

The last time I remember the court costs were about $58 which in my opinion is a joke. Sorry to say but if I got a fine for up to $500-600 and it only costs me $58 to make police put full brief together, statements etc get brief checked/authorized, issue and serve summons to arrange court date. Then have matter adjourned to further court date, go to contest mention and then have 3rd court date for full contest and then plead guilty make all that work for police/court/prosecutor and only $58 is added to initial fine I think it's a real bargain.

LOL. Once I got a pretty bullshit fine and I asked the officer if there was a way I could contest it. He says you can take it to court but I don't like your chances. Then I said well we'll see about that and he looked so pissed off after I said that...no wonder.

When I got done for speeding I just decided to waste the courts and police time. Got done. Didn't pay fine. Got a reminder. Filled in to be heard in court. Waited for court date. Rocked up and plead guilty. Cops had to write statement and all this paperwork was sent to me in a thick envelope. I got caught in march 2009. I paid the fine in feb 2010 :) no court fines where added. Just the initial fine reinstated :P

Not much difference except that now you have gone to court... I believe that makes a difference if you go again. Usually they are harder on people who are coming a second time round. My infringment ended up being applied 6 months after I did it... but all that means is that it now takes an extra 6 months to be wiped... no real advantage gained.