SAU Community

Trends In Turbo Technologies

Here's a link to an old article in Autospeed which shows that Toyota have been developing a VVT turbo with electric assist...quite an insightful article showing how it compares with other technologies.

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_108916/article....?popularArticle

I'd suggest they sort out their sticky accelerator issues first....a Camry with a sticking throttle and VVT turbo could be a handfull :ermm:

Edited by juggernaut1

Yeah very cool... I agree with the part where the writer talks about how turbochargers havnt (drastically) changed design in decades. Typical American engineering (think small block v8 - a design that's been used for more then half a century and only ever underwent small changes.), Garrett have only really made small changes in the last few decades of turbo engineering. If they followed suit from Toyota and started playing around with variable geometry, electric/mechanical assist, etc, we could have some interesting times ahead for us forced induction bretheren... But wait! Garrett is an American brand, so they're likely to use the same design for the next 50 years while the rest of the world is streaks ahead (again, think Chevrolet zr1/z06 vs gtr...)

It would suck if these new turbos still suffered the effects of cost cutting and came with journal bearings and ceramic wheels, although i think those days are over, as most new turbos are at least ball bearing...

Great read! Thanks!

Any development in turbo's is likely to come from from the manufacturers for numerous reasons....in order to meet lower emissions / make more power from smaller capacity motors / improve VE of an engine to reduce fuel consumption, etc / plus they have a ready market by equipping their cars with turbos.......as is evident in recent years with a resurgence of the use of turbo's in production cars.

Garrett and others couldn't care less about the above factors, and so I can't see any great inroads made by aftermarket turbo suppliers in turbo technology.

I rekon they need to rethink the whole turbo paradigm. Why not use the turbo to compress the air into canisters, which can then be injected literally straight into the cylinders, should make for some epic power given how cold the air would be :(

I rekon they need to rethink the whole turbo paradigm. Why not use the turbo to compress the air into canisters, which can then be injected literally straight into the cylinders, should make for some epic power given how cold the air would be :P

Been doin that for yeeeeeeaaaaars. It's called NOS :)

There are other methods available, for e.g. with twin scroll turbine housing all exhaust gases could go to 1 hole and then when the turbo reaches a certain psi a wastegate vents more gases into the second hole, its like a two stage a/r turbine housing.

Compound turbocharging is also used for a smaller turbo to spool the bigger turbo, done a lot on diesels but it means very high psi, very efficient in spooling huge turbos and very efficient in heating engines.

Anti lag by re-using exhaust gases or igniting fuel on idle.

Super turbo combos i think thats everything

Edited by 2lazy

There was a thread on here last year about someone who suppoesdly did a compound charger setup with a gt35 on his Rb30et, can't remember specifics though. Wonder exactly how useful it was though, because at the end of the day, just give the car enough revs and the powerband stays pretty linear if you don't go back below those revs again.

Yes I think a lot of development is going on behind the scenes with turbos for smallish "high speed" - for a diesel - oilers .

Actually a lot has changed with what Garrett has produced in the last 40 years , take a look at the old crude early 70s era T3 and even older 60s era T04B compressors and turbines . Then compare them to late 80s early 90s GT ones .

Most people don't get to see the huge range of OE turbos , really the aftermarket GT BBs are a very small part of what Garrett produces .

At times motor sport development drives turbo and turbo engine development , since the mid late 80s turbos were banned from F1 and many of the road racing classes eg Grp A .

The major manufacturers have fast disappeared from rallying and IMO WRC is just a bunch of kit cars on dirt .

If we ever see production based racing backed by the major manufacturers and forced induction allowed things may change .

ATM the manufacturers are very interested in reducing engine capacity chasing better consumption figures , forced induction is one way to get around the loss of torque from less cubes .

Interesting times , A .

garret already has one .

to get it small enough to work properly on a car itd have to be 48 volt . read it in a book thats like 2 years old

They "oem" have been talking about going to the 48v rail for years. I think they will just use charge pump circuits like they do for direct injection applications as the duty cycles require for turbo spool would be quite small.

Edited by rob82

can we get variable vane on petrol engines, I know that holset sells these, wonder if I could get one bolted onto a 3071r?mmmm

Porche GT2 twin turbo variable vane direct injection - think they went back to port injection on the latest model - couldn't be f**ked googling it.

Only prob with variable vanes turbos is the increase in heat in the turbo from around 700 to 1000 degrees in petrol applications.

Porsche use some fairly exotic stuff to keep the turbo together. Diesel applications run at much cooler temps and so exotic materials are not needed in this turbo format.

Nevertheless it would be awesome if variable vane turbos became commonplace in the aftermarket turbo world.

Edited by juggernaut1

• 2 weeks later...