SAU Community

New To Oz And Need Internet Provider Help

elrodeo666

Having just moved from Japan after almost 10 years to the Gold Coast I'm at a complete lost in trying to get the best internet setup.

All this download speed,download limits has me at a lost seeing in Jappa it was around $130 a month for cable tv and internet with unlimited use.

What I'm after is some input from you guys on what you reckon is the best way to go.

I've just hooked up basic home phone with Telstra but can ditch that if need be.

I'm looking for phone a good affordable home phone,internet and tv provider.

I have no idea on whats a good internet usage level as never kept track of it but reckon somewhere in the 50gig a month would be a good starting point.

Any input would be much appreciated.

iinet or internode

The two best ISP's IMO.

They are not the cheapest, but then I prefer to pay for good and reliable service, and still more reasonable than say Telstra

Thanks I'll check them out but not today as I'm learning about Aussie beer hangovers today, totally forgot how evil they are.

and more alcohol.

we've been with optusnet cable for around 15 years now. 20 gig peak (midday to midnight) and 40gig off peak (midnight to midday) as long as you've got an optus mobile or land line and you pay something like 60 a month.

I dont live too far from perth however i cannot use iinets servers. so when i called them up they said they would put me on a telstra server but still under them (hope that makes sens) they were going to charge $80 inc phone line per month for $79.95 for 12GB (1 month ago)

I then called Telstra even though by no means am i a fan. They offered me the exact same deal so i thought why not i already have the phone line.

I then looked in the paper and Telstra now has 25 gig for $49.95 (not inc phone line) per month with an 8000k connection! so i called em up explained i only just joined and they swapped me over, an extra 13 gig for the same price!

So far so good, i am quite impressed with them to be honest. Of course that could change very quickly but i do beleive on the telsra servers should ou live a fair distance from an exchange telstra would be the way to go.

Edited by 25GTT

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for iinet, been with them for about 7 years, great service, really fast connection and they are always upgrading my plan for free, i originally was on a 20/40gb plan and now for the same price im on 60/70. ADSL2+,

Spend money with providers that actually own a network...not just bludge of others.

There is only Telstra and Optus that have bothered to instal a cable to your house and create real jobs for people to install and maintain it.

Being faithful to these providers will keep australians employed.

Perhaps if those providers offered reasonable pricing and more importantly reasonable customer service... then people would.

I've been with Telstra for my Mobile only out of neccesity. I demand good reception as I'm often in country area's with cruises and holidays... Telstras network wins there.

Their pricing and data plans are atrocious however... compared to say Optus. If i was with Optus the last 7-8 years i would have saved at least $5,000... but I'm that's just part and parcel.

However Telstras internet plans and customer service there (same as Optus) is nothing short of disgusting.

iinet "bludge" to some extent as you put it but don't forget they also have their own equipment in many exchanges - same with Internode.

Just look @ the rest of the known world and their pricing for everything and doesn't take long to workout we are getting duped...

Im not even allowed to get Annex-M unless i am a "business". If the service is possible, i should be allowed to purchase it regardless not have it controlled.

I recommended telstra. They may be a bit pricey but you pay for what you get. I've been an ADSL user (now ADSL 2+ of course) since it was first introduced and never have I had a problem with them. Currently I can hit speeds of 2mb/s which is crazy for downloading large files 10gb+

Spend money with providers that actually own a network...not just bludge of others.

There is only Telstra and Optus that have bothered to instal a cable to your house and create real jobs for people to install and maintain it.

Swiper I'd love to keep aussies in a job but whenever I call Telstra & Optus I end up speaking to someone in Mumbai who keeps calling me lovely dear...if they only knew !

Seriously the dealings I've had with Telstra since coming back border on comical as far as f#@kups are concerned.

I'm 100% keeping Aussies employed but when they are useless as tits on a bull and slack and dodgy ..well its pretty hard to want to use them.

In getting my home line connected, I came home to a broken lock on the gate trying to be fixed by the Telstra guy because he couldnt get in to check the line connection.

Then theres the worksite out the front where he repaired the line and said he'd be back next day to finish up which was almost 4 weeks ago.

Then theres Origin power company..dont get me started on these morons.

Seriously the work ethic here in Oz has really gone down the tubes or either I'm accustomed to Japanese efficiency even though they are idiots.

Anyway enough whingeing as it is good to be back but definitely looking forward to heading back next week for a few weeks of racing,cheap drinking and playing with candy that s so so gullible !

Perhaps if those providers offered reasonable pricing and more importantly reasonable customer service... then people would.

I've been with Telstra for my Mobile only out of neccesity. I demand good reception as I'm often in country area's with cruises and holidays... Telstras network wins there.

Their pricing and data plans are atrocious however... compared to say Optus. If i was with Optus the last 7-8 years i would have saved at least $5,000... but I'm that's just part and parcel.

However Telstras internet plans and customer service there (same as Optus) is nothing short of disgusting.

iinet "bludge" to some extent as you put it but don't forget they also have their own equipment in many exchanges - same with Internode.

Just look @ the rest of the known world and their pricing for everything and doesn't take long to workout we are getting duped...

Im not even allowed to get Annex-M unless i am a "business". If the service is possible, i should be allowed to purchase it regardless not have it controlled.

I still havent got internet setup as yet...they are all bloody expensive and it seems that I'm about 3km's from the nearest main junction so trying to workout whats going to be the fastest.

Why the hell cant you just get fast unlimited internet access with cable TV without having to sell your left testicle, its highway robbery. All these plans,crap are a pain the arse trying to figure out whats suits your needs. For me its pretty, reason being, in Jappa I had the computers on pretty much 24/7 downloading/uploading as computers were pretty much our entertainment centre with listening to streaming music and movies.

Still confused who and what to choose.

Doesnt mean they dont have their own network they dont employ Australians. And for your info Optus isnt Australian owned too.

+1 on coverage. If you dont need it why bother paying extra?

At the end of the day, I started with TPG on the $49.99 for 25GB/25GB plan (last year) and now they've upgraded to 120GB (60GB/60GB?) for the same price. Cant complain.

Doesnt mean they dont have their own network they dont employ Australians. And for your info Optus isnt Australian owned too.

+1 on coverage. If you dont need it why bother paying extra?

At the end of the day, I started with TPG on the $49.99 for 25GB/25GB plan (last year) and now they've upgraded to 120GB (60GB/60GB?) for the same price. Cant complain.

What sort of download and upload speeds to do you get and how far do you reckon you are from your main server ??

120GB (60GB/60GB) for 49.95 sounds ok ! Does it have to be bundled with your home phone ??

What sort of download and upload speeds to do you get and how far do you reckon you are from your main server ??

120GB (60GB/60GB) for 49.95 sounds ok ! Does it have to be bundled with your home phone ??

No idea man. Not THAT slow but I doubt its super fast. TPG is known for the cheap plans but not really for the speed. BTW, I just checked the plan, its 70GB/60GB not 60GB/60GB. Having a telstra line at $21/month.

+1 for iinet, been with them for about 7 years, great service, really fast connection and they are always upgrading my plan for free, i originally was on a 20/40gb plan and now for the same price im on 60/70. ADSL2+,

+1 to iinet too.

They did this for me as well, when I 1st joined up I got the 100Gb ADSL 1 plan as ADSL 2+ wasn't enabled on my dinosaur exchange at that time, just this week my exchange became enabled for 2+ & they upgraded me to 2+, now I got 170Gb to play around with... sweet!

But if you want budget ADSL 2+, then TPG is the cheapest I think. Although 1/2 of their off peak time is pretty useless (after 3am last time I checked) unless you are either octennial or set up your computer to download at those times.

The main problem I have with Telstra & their internet plans is that they charge upload as download too, so if you use torrent alot then you will eat up your quota even faster.

Seems like iinet is the go.

I'd rather pay more and have the confidence of something decent rather than saving a few bucks and have shit service.

I'm bouncing back to Japan for a month this friday so macbook will be on downloading 24/7 and sort out iinet on return to Oz.