SAU Community

Non Car People

Hey ppl,

I was just wondering how often you have to deal with people that aren't into cars in your life.

I gotta say sometimes it really shits me.

Some of the questions I've had to put up with from friends, family and collegues include:

- Why spend so much on something so old?

- Why is it so loud?

- Whats the point of a fast car when you can only go 100km/h?

- Do you know how much you could have saved if you bought something sensible?

- Do you think you are fully sick when you go for a cruise?

Those are just a sample but I just wanted to hear about other peoples experiences? At least on SAU I know that it is a bunch of people who understand...

I bought the car for me because I like it. For many people to them it would be a piece of shit, which is fine but justifying it to people who don't get it is an impossible task. I've had my current skyline for 1.5yrs and the one before it for 2 yrs so it's not something new I've had to deal with but it has become increasingly annoying!

Who feels my pain?

I call them KANACs - Know Absolutely Nothing About Cars...

^^^This fortunately was brought up by yourself in a Performance Imports magazine article Kristian.

And it's not to be confused with CANUKS (aka Canadians) although...

although...

whilst growing up in the 1950s-60s, people all preferred manual transmission in Australia.

As I visited relatives in Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton in '66, the populace had all gone over to Auto

And on coming back to Oz and then buying an Alfetta GTV all the Alfa technos insisted that "Automatics are for cripples"!

And how things have changed since the 80s :P

Lots of people who grew up with me, and mad about cars > gone soft in the belly :)

1 step away from a 4W-scooter!

What I find more annoying is talking to someone who thinks they know about cars but clearly doesn't. :)

Yeah that can really be annoying also!

I've had a few people look at mine and say "aww yeah, is that the turbo?... No match for a v8 though, ey!?"

I feel sorry for them.

Fancy buying a car (your second most expensive purchase in your life) on the basis of money, colour, fuel economy. You buy a house because you like it right? Why should it be any different when buying a vehicle. For people that see the motor vehicle as a mode of transport and nothing more, catch a fking bus.

I love cars, Ive loved everyone I have ever owned for one (or more) reason or another.

Driving a car is something that should engage you, not escape you.

nothing beats the "100kmph" line i get that all the fkn time fkn shits me. :)

Yeah but you can always say "Can you get to 100km/h in 4.5 seconds". And Plus cars are fun to drive, I have a blast sometimes just burling around (at or below the speed limit) in my VP Commodore wagon, can you put a price on something that puts a smile on your face and lets you feel that freedom, like for those few minutes you can do anything.

I agree with RBNT, i'm already looking at what car i'm gonna buy for when I have kids even though thats probably 4-5 years away. And fuel economy will not be an issue, the only issue is how much I can afford to pay, money no object Audi RS6 wagon :P

You people are all sickos and just waste our environment and shiz . Whats wrong with quiet sunny days and walks in the forrest .

PS: Anyone want to fax me a crank pulley removal tool , cause i just blew my water pump and hoses while going backwards on redline in 3rd at the collie 2 day drift assault .

What I find more annoying is talking to someone who thinks they know about cars but clearly doesn't. ;)

haha ive had numerous people ask me if my 4 door was a gtr :thumbsup:

one of the most common ones I hear is:

"does it make that pshht sound?"

and u half cringe when u say yes because normally the next thing out of their mouths is something like "all the woggy guys drive THOSE sort of cars" or "so your one of those fully sick guys"

im a bloody aussie jew, give me a break... im not trying to be fully sick, its just my motor releasing the pressure my turbo has produced..... :thumbsup:

"your motor does wha?" ;)

never mind, you dont you just go buy a prius....

I get these all the time, especially in relation to my bike... “what do you need a fast car for, isn’t that why you got the bike?”... followed by “but isn’t the bike faster as well?” my response to all but one question is;

“if you have to ask, you’ll never understand.”

In relation to “you can only go 100kph.” I respond;

“my speeding fines say otherwise”

They are so fucking annoying, I don't even bother to explain, I just laugh at them.

Half the commodore fuck's not know shit about turbo Skyline's.

When you are driving up a hill next to them and they hear your Air pod(s) (Or if you have a wank BOV) that make a 'choo' noise, after changing gears / closing off the throttle, they think you want to race them, but it's normal, as you need to put your foot right down on the accelerator and the turbo(s) have to spool = make boost.