SAU Community

Test Drives

-_-StRyDeR-_-

hey guys, just a quick question.

I'm 24 and manage a small resort on the gold coast, iv got an r32 25/30 ect ect. but would like to look into buying an R35 however...im told that im not allowed to test drive an r35 i have to have the sales/rep drive it because im under 25yrs old.

i personally would like to test drive it myself, an r35 isnt suited to every person and i dont want to buy one then find out its not 110% what i want, unlikly, but do you know where im comming from?

i would like to test drive a few different cars that i have on my hotlist but i will have the same problem everywhere... im not in a hurry to buy, but it would be a bit annoying to have to wait till im 25 just to test drive?

any advice would be muchly appreciated...

CJ

hopefully a generous SAU memeber can help you out.

as an aside most of the current aussie owners bought their r35 sight unseen (undriven) fwiw. if you can't get a drive i would only suggest this: if you are after a part time track car (which also makes a decent road car) then buy it. If you arent interested in track duties i would go with something else.

yeh totally understand that, i been reading for a long while, been going through this part of the forum since the begining.

do many people buy cars now without test driving? i know my old boss ordered a brand new clubby for his wife without either of them test driving one, and now she doesnt like it.

" most of the current aussie owners bought their r35 sight unseen (undriven) "

Yep I did.....Placed my order in 2008 (10k Deposit) and had to push to get one by mid 2009 .....

Should be easier now....if they know you are serious despite your age.

exactly, not allowed to test drive because im under 25, and they think i just want to take it for a joyride... but im acually serious, so im stuck.

maybe i should just rock up the dealership driving a volvo? haha

but seriously, Godcla, when you first got in yours and drove it home (or where-ever) was there ANYTHING that you had the thoughts of "oh i wish i knew that earlier..." ??

do many people buy cars now without test driving?

Never for me!

New or old? Never!

Not every car suits one's spine. Not every car can be configured to suit one's spine. I'm 61. I have a good back. But I've been in cars before where after 15 mins, I know that I wouldn't want to be in this thing for 2-3 hours.

I do corporate health lecturing now and then. Once we lectured @ Caltex & Ampol and there were guys there that needed special seats configured to their back (and not just the sprung base ones).

exactly, totally agree with you Terry. hence why id like to test drive it first...

any R35 owners on the Gold coast here that wouldnt mind taking me for a ride? (your car so im not driving it, id feel easier driving a dealerships car)

exactly, not allowed to test drive because im under 25, and they think i just want to take it for a joyride... but im acually serious, so im stuck.

maybe i should just rock up the dealership driving a volvo? haha

but seriously, Godcla, when you first got in yours and drove it home (or where-ever) was there ANYTHING that you had the thoughts of "oh i wish i knew that earlier..." ??

I insisted on conditional on Test Drive.......so when they got their first R35 they let me drive it and I loved it.

I am sure you could manage the same by showing them that you are serious.......their main concern would be

your ability to pay for such a Car...........so if it's finance you better show them them some mighty big pay slips.

Good Luck.....

Yep as long as you prove in some way that you're serious or have the funds for it they'll probably let you take it around the block. Alternatively I'm sure you could offer an existing R35 owner some cash to have a quick test drive :)

Unless their dealership car demo insurance only covers 25+ people driving it?

Birds: yes most dealerships have the 25+ policy, however iv heard that some use it as an excuse to stop us from taking it for a joyride.

Godcla: i did think about taking my bank statement in to prove im gettin a huge sum to cover easily...

id offer some fuel money or something if someones close to me, but as i said i dont feel comfortable driving their car lol. most of you wouldnt even let your wife drive it!? yet along a stranger...

" Godcla: i did think about taking my bank statement in to prove im gettin a huge sum to cover easily... "

I know it sucks .......but if you are serious do what ever it takes.....SHOW them you mean business .... :thumbsup:

" Godcla: i did think about taking my bank statement in to prove im gettin a huge sum to cover easily... "

I know it sucks .......but if you are serious do what ever it takes.....SHOW them you mean business .... :thumbsup:

Rock up with a briefcase full of cash, point to the car and say "I'm either going to test drive that car, love it and give you this briefcase or im going to find some one that does, so what's it going to be?"

Always a way around it, you just got to be more assertive.

hello again guys,

Well today i looked up the nearest Nissan Dealership, ended up being "Von Bibra Gold Coast Nissan".

Headed over there and had to wait to see the manager, Max Johnson, as he is the only one that is currently doing the sales on these cars (anyone bought from this dealership?)

He was great and answered every question i had, if he was unsure on something he got one of the 2 GTR mechanics (only 2 mechanics there work on the GTR's) to come up and explain to me about it.

I was then able to go on an hr test drive with him, he drove for about 10min then we swaped and i drove the rest, got to drive some back streets then he offerd to direct me to the M1, which i happily accepted. Ended up test driving the 09 non premium one, however i'm leaning towards the 2010 Premium Black. Drives so nicely, i fully understand that daily driving it in the city is like caging a tiger, however let that tiger out in the plains...:D

Certainly put a smile on my face that is still on my face 4hrs later!!

Couple of questions:

1: How many of you use the paddles? or normal driving just keep it in auto? obviously, when u want to move you'l use the paddles...

2: Do you find the gear change a bit more hash when driving slower, then if your mildly into it?

Anyways id highly recommend talking to Max about any enquires people may have, he was very helpful to me, and not once made me think i was just that young guy after a joyride.

Thanks for reading my rant haha.

CJ

Edited by -_-StRyDeR-_-

Hi CJ,

Good to see you finally managed a test drive!

As far as your questions are concerned:

1. I never drive the car in auto, as it is boring. The auto shuffles up through the gears to the highest gear possible very quickly. The way the gearbox works with the paddles is impressive. If you get a mid-pipe (you should), I guarantee that you will drive in manual mode to hear the throttle blips on down changes and you will hold gears longer than in auto for better acceleration.

2. The gearbox does seem to change gears smoother when the car has a higher rate of acceleration. The first to second change is the most harsh for me. Over time, I seem to have learned which points in the rev range give the smoothest shifts.

" Couple of questions:

1: How many of you use the paddles? or normal driving just keep it in auto? obviously, when u want to move you'l use the paddles...

2: Do you find the gear change a bit more hash when driving slower, then if your mildly into it? "

Loved using the Paddles for first few months then started using Auto more....depending where I drive now

if I'm going along a fairly straight long country road..... I do fairly often it will be in auto but then around town

using manual is a lot more fun....

Most true SuperCars will be a little awkward at low speeds and in heavy traffic......and the R35 is a SuperCar.

" Couple of questions:

2: Do you find the gear change a bit more hash when driving slower, then if your mildly into it? "

I use paddles when I'm not on the phone or chatting with a passenger, otherwise just trundle along in Auto. But I find it way smoother just slowly driving in Auto, so smooth that if you didn't hear the motor you wouldn't know it had changed gear. When I'm hard into it it changes so hard sometimes that I see the traction control light kick in on the 1st to 2nd change when it's set to standard VDC setting. (Then again that could be a symptom of my overly eager VDC which I've discussed elsewhere.)