SAU Community

Importing A R32 Gtr

dreGTR

**more than.

not "then"

and i dunno what the heck you're asking. and you'd be better off ringing the police non-urgent line with these questions for a definite answer rather than asking a bunch of forum buffs like ourselves... we're here to help with all things SKYLINE related and NISSAN related... and to a lesser extent other cars of other makes... the law isn't up to us

and for what it's worth, mohsen... that "gay" civic type R.. not getting into this arguement with you... but i would much rather the CTR over the GTR... it would probably match if not beat the gtr around most tight tracks too...

but not cost the earth to maintain!

but - OP - i feel your pain... ... ...actually no wait no i don't i never had trubo P-Plate restrictions. adn for the record - i think the eastern states - in spite of them being more "advanced" than wa (so they think) restricting P-Platers from turbos is a backward way of thinking, people are gonna be dickheads in ANY car they're in...

but that's nor here nor there... as for your idea of driving around with no p_plates. wow. revolutionary. why didn't everyone else didn't think that!!!

(that is sarcasm)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question was skyline related till everyones replies were just about the whole "p plate" thing rather than the initial question.. and ye trust me the turbo restrictions really do suck :) if anything p platers would have more control driving a GTR than some shit box with absolute no safety, thats what i think anyway..

thanks for the help guys.. i wont be importing anymoree

Edited by dreGTR

if anything p platers would have more control driving a GTR than some shit box with absolute no safety, thats what i think anyway..

I'm a p plater myself mate, I own an 05 Xr6. It's not turbo, but its got extractors, exhaust all the bells and whistles (for an N/A anyway :()

One night I was out driving and it started raining quite heavily. I stopped at a set of lights which were at the top of a hill, and I was heading up it. I had turned the traction control off previously and had forgotten about it, trying to take off on the hill I had to give it a bit more than usual, the car spun the wheels up the hill and since it doesn't have an lsd you can only imagine. Picture a rowboat with only one oar. I nearly shat myself.

I'm off my p's in a couple of months and I'm 20 years old and from my limited experience I can tell you now that you're a f**king idiot and you deserve to be donkey punched for saying that a P plater would have more control driving a gtr.

The GTR doesn't have all the bells and whistles like new cars do, no airbags, no traction control. If things don't go your way in the wet, you're up shit creek.

If you truly want the car, you will buy a subaru liberty and get saving. You are 17 years old at the moment. You haven't even finished school and probably still live with mummy. You need to experience financial independence before you can say you can afford to have an ever hungry money pit sitting in your garage.

Another thing, police cars are fitted with a scanner that scans all the rego's of the cars going past. It checks the owners license for things like drink driving or expired license etc. What do you think is going to happen when you hoon past in your gtr on your p plates? Even if you're not displaying them, your name is still on the registration.

Don't bother with an exemption. They are not going to grant an exemption to a 17/18 y.o for a gtr.

Edited by hylian

if i was 17, i wouldnt let myself buy an r32 gtr....seriously buy a cheap run around, save your money and when you get off your P's go for it

its just not worth risking fines/hurting yourself etc

The question was skyline related till everyones replies were just about the whole "p plate" thing rather than the initial question.. and ye trust me the turbo restrictions really do suck :(if anything p platers would have more control driving a GTR than some shit box with absolute no safety, thats what i think anyway..

thanks for the help guys.. i wont be importing anymoree

LOL dude you have no idea. If you want the car, buy the car. Just don't drive it till you legally can, that's most of ours advice. Take it or leave it.

For your initial question we all agree to just buy one locally instead of importing one for your situation.

not sure what you have against the "gay" civic that you could legally drive and actually afford to keep in good working order? it takes thousands and thousands of dollars a year to keep an R32 GTR in top condition. even more if it's modified. let alone the cost of comprehensive insurance for a 17year old with a GTR (actually you wont be able to get any since you can't legally drive the car). great another un-insured clown on the road with no money to pay for stuff or people you run into.

I know all about loving a certain model of car. I have loved the 32 GTR since they came out (you weren't alive then). and followed them since I was 10 years old (when they were released). I bought one when I could actually afford to look after it, and when I was a competent driver and could legally own and insure it. loving R32 GTRs doesn't mean I can't appreciate other cars though.

The EP3 civic is a great drivers car. has 'cool' recaro seats, a great interior, 6 speed manual box, modern safety features (crumple zones, side intrusion protection, airbags), it handles beautifully and has a great engine. one of the best NA 4 cylinder engines around. so it's safer than a 32 GTR (important when you are learning to drive). it's legal for you to own and drive. it's great fun. and you have some chance of actually being able to afford insurance for it.

I have owned around a dozen GTRs and driven probably more than 100. I've owned every modern GTR from R32 to R35 and owned standard cars through to fully modified 600hp GTRs. My current 32 GTR has over $100K spent on it and it's currently sitting in the garage gathering dust where it's been for a while. But I've also loved lots of other cars from silvias through to subaru's and I very nearly bought an EP3 type R recently as a daily car.

there is plenty of time to send yourself broke modifying and driving a GTR in your 20s and 30s. I would seriously re-think your approach.

I agreee with Mr BEEEERRR

however i did buy my gtr at a young age, they take alot of cash to maintain, and you cant just park the things anywhere.

i think you should rethink what you want to do!

I agreee with Mr BEEEERRR

however i did buy my gtr at a young age, they take alot of cash to maintain, and you cant just park the things anywhere.

i think you should rethink what you want to do!

hey, was just wondering what do you mean by this? vandalizm etc?

NO insurance company will insure a >25yo for a twinturbo. so you won't even have to worry about that.

except justcar who my gtr is insured with and im under 25

I read the OP and had a big speel planned out on why not to buy one, wait etc. Read through the thread and you f**kers have already said everything worth saying. But I'm going to do the speel anyway because everyone is entitled to my opinion.

OP don't buy a GTR just because you really really want one. Unfortunately the world doesn't work like that and it won't matter to the police officer or the person you crash into or the judge who's at your hearing. We've all been there, everyone thinks they are different and special. It won't happen to me I'm a good driver or I'll drive carefully. Your a 17 year old male you will do something stupid or show off to your mates it is inevitable.

It seems unfair now but believe me 3 years will fly by and the GTRs will still be there waiting to be driven. There are enough things to worry about coming out of school why would you add to the burden by having to worry about the cops every time you go for a drive. Not to mention the financial burden. (I'm assuming you're getting a loan) Take a step back and see it from everyone elses perspective. Believe me we have all been in your shoes. I got my license before they introduced all the new rules and I was able to get my car when I was 19. But insuring, rego, and general upkeep on the car is expensive. Not to mention the fuel. About 70-75% of my pay went to the car each week. I'd like to say I regret it and if I had the chance I would not of bought the car etc as it would give this more credibility. But I don't. I love my car and wouldn't have it any other way.(If the laws had changed I wouldn't of bought one though)

To answer the original question. Buy locally.

i understand where ur all coming from, my plan was to just not put p plates on at all and pray to the son of rajab i never get pulled over lol.. and not drive in redhot areas at night like laperouse if your from sydney and stuff like that.. as much as id love to take it out in areas like that to show it off.. the self satisfaction of just owning one would be enough till i can legally drive it lol

everyones told me the exact same thing bout its stupid to get a turbo charged car on your P's because its illegal and im inexperienced.. and you probably are all right.. but like i said before, i dont think i can wait another 3 years to get one, i dont mind if it spends half its time in the garage till i can legally drive it..

and i dunno non turbo skylines are out of the question for me.. il feel like abit of a idiot and a poser driving one of them..

but ye thanks everyone for ur help.. iv decided im not guna bother importing as not bothered for all the hassle.. il just try my best to find one off carsales in the best possible condition i can find i guess..

ps- is there any possible way to get an exemption for one if iv got more then 1 car in my family??

Mate, its a GTR - YOU WILL BE PULLED OVER.... Come on you're 17 not stupid right?

You said it - stupid to buy a turbo car on your Ps!

You'd feel like a poser buying a non-turbo skyline??? Isnt that the reason you'd buy a GTR and leave it in the garage? Come on - again, you're 17 not stupid right?

Dont try get an exemption - try this > GET SOME EXPERIENCE and dont buy a GTR until you do... Imagine how much harder you'll make it for all of us when you wrap it around a pole and we cop the "imports kill people" shit again...

The cheapest way to buy a GTR is to get a daily run around, and save up some money then park the GTR in your shed. I was 26 when I bought mine, was looking about 6 months, and wanted one since I was 12-13... when I got over the fact they beat Brocky, I bought a house first, and had a Camira, Liberty wagon (old clapper) Stagea, bought the wife a new Corolla, then when we had all that under control and I got a bit more Money bought the GTR. If you want to keep your GTR forever, get it after your house. Otherwise when it comes time for a deposit you will see $25k sitting there and know that you have to part with it.

To the OP, going the cheapest option with a gtr is often the most expensive, buy the best car you can for your money.. none of this $4000 rubbish. I joined this forum when i was in year 8, no idea what age that would be, 14 maybe?, I'm now almost 21 and only just recently have i decided that I want to buy a R33 gtr or R34 gtt. You'll probably think you can handle that sort of power, i knew i did, But you'll come to realise that once you get off your reds and you get your greens you think you think how little skill you had, and then once you get your full license you come to realise "Wow my driving has improved 1,000,000% since i first got my Ps."

What I am saying is your better off buying something cheap and rwd, something that the wreckers is full of and it wont cost much at all to maintain, crash it on friday, fixed for work monday. Honestly at that age you know nothing about how to control a car at speed. What will you do when you get wheel spin at 100 and your rear end starts to fishtail?

floor it harder. duh

ok i've bit my tongue this entire page but i can't keep my peace any longer...

i'm sorry - but everything that can be said - has been said. like... 20 times over... can we just... let this one die pls?

Dr Dre

Buy a GTR man.

One request - can you please post pics of the cube the cops will turn it into for when you get busted being a dick in it.

You're 17 to say you will drive it sensibly is only trying to kid yourself. We've all been there and we've all done it; if you love your cars it's almost a right of passage. You need to do this and as you said it's much better to do this in a GTR than an old shitbox.

By the way thank's for laugh I got when you said that we were missing the point because you've wanted the car since you were 10 or whatever.

So anyway ignore what everyone else here had said and buy it because:

1. You're young and cool

2. The cops will understand it when you tell them I had to do it because I couldn't wait like everyone else

3. Bubba at Long Bay wants some fresh meat

4. You'll reduce your carbon footprint when your car is in a cube

5. You can give a lot of people a cahnce to say "I told you so"

Alternatively if your car is not a cube and you wrap it around a tree, can you please tell me how much you want for your rims? I need a spare set.

Edited by Gunnar_11