SAU Community

Thinking Of Purchasing An Engine...

Ok, so I'm considering buying a fully reconditioned engine from BMI -aka- Brisbane Motor Imports.

http://www.brisbanemotorimports.com.au/

I have been communicating with them via e-mail and so far they seem pretty straight forward, knowledgable and friendly... The engine comes with a 12 month warranty (but I know that sometimes these warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on) and is a very good price.

Anyway, the reason for this thread is to ask whether anyone has dealt with or knows of someone who has dealt with these guys and can give me an idea of whether I should go ahead and order the engine.

I really don't wan't to spend thousands of my hard earned on a dodgy motor, freight it down to Canberra, bolt it all together and find out at the first turn of the key that it is f_cked and I cant get it replaced under warranty. :D

Opinions please! :P

Cheers

Mick

Why dont you try and source one locally?

That way if you do have issues you are not traveling around the world to deal with them.

Or get your engine recoed by a reputable engine builder?

I agree that getting one locally would be better but I have tried that option and there arent any in or around the ACT.

The shortest wait on getting it rebuilt by a reputable shop here in Canberra is 2 months to start work on it, so completion would probably take 3 months or longer and I cant wait that long unfortunately :D

You're in Canberra? Go to Proengines first for a quote

Thanks, but no thanks... :rofl:

It seems I'll have to wait the 2 months for a reputable shop to start on it because I read the warranty terms that these guys sent me and there are holes in it big enough to drive a truck through... I dont think I'll risk freighting a motor from interstate.

Why not proengines?

Pm me if you like :P

The same story you hear about every workshop... Some people love a workshop and always recommend them, others wont touch them with a barge pole.

I have just seen and heard some things that make me think twice about getting them to do engine work on my car. :D

The same story you hear about every workshop... Some people love a workshop and always recommend them, others wont touch them with a barge pole.

I have just seen and heard some things that make me think twice about getting them to do engine work on my car. :wub:

Fair enough.

I can think of only 2 shops where ive heard nothing but good stories. Neither are near you though which is a shame

• 4 weeks later...