SAU Community

I'm thinking of haveing the gear shifter shortened about 3.5cm, this would involve machining the wieghted section of the stick and extending the thread for the gearknob, nothing complicated here there's a good machine shop localy who'll knock this over in an hour or so.

This would obviously lighten the shifter considerably and I'm wondering what result this would produce bearing in mind that Nissan wouldn't have made the gearstick with a large wieghted section for no reason.

Anybody know ? or done this ? if so what happens ?

The only reason for me doing this mod is that I like a shorter shifter.

I'm also mindfull of the ole saying--"If it aint broken, mod it till it is"---- ah hem . :D

he's after a reduced height of his shifter. i dont think short shifters are any shorter in length, or if they are, its only a small amount. their purpose is to shorten the throw between gears.

although i'm only guessing, i would assume the weight removed from the shifter can be made up with the appropriate gear knob, if it turns out to be a problem.

the stock knob is pretty light compared to aftermarket alloy knobs.

why dont you just buy a short shifter and also the weight is there to make shifting lighter and easier for the normal consumer

Two reasons actualy the car is an R34GT-T and I couldn't find a one for it ,

secondly;

even if I did find one I have been told by someone who has forgotten more about Skylines than I 'll ever know that the commercialy available (who knows WTF they are) damage the selectors-and box internals, now don't shoot me on this, I'm only going on what was said to me IFiIK how this occurs and niether did the person who told me only that it does.

:D

short shifters are reduced in height and also im pretty sure r33 shifter will go into a r34gtt box and yes the cheap shifters will damage your selectors but you could buy a qaulity one and end up with a nice shifter that actually works and lightening the shifter will probably result in missing gears when changing fast

short shifters are reduced in height and also im pretty sure r33 shifter will go into a r34gtt box and yes the cheap shifters will damage your selectors but you could buy a qaulity one and end up with a nice shifter that actually works and lightening the shifter will probably result in missing gears when changing fast

:yes: Thanks for that, and nope the R33 aint a go for the R34GT-T I already went there.

It's also a bit hard as I don't know what brand is good and what isn't --if I could find one--as which I can't , cost dosen't seem to be the only issue with these hence maybe machining the OE one.

I just wish I knew why they had wieght they do on them , for all I know it could just be to dampen them and retard any likeleyhood of rattling . :)

Edited by BASHO