SAU Community

R33 Gts-t Turbo Recommendation

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got 254kw at 3200rpm with r33 gcg high flow turbo. Im very happy with the response and power i have with this turbo. I only paid $850 for gcg from SAU forums and sold my stock turbo for $300. So only cost me $550. i still retain factory air box and car looks very stealth. Best bang for buck turbo.

I know of people on this forum who have run 12.3s quarters with this power on semi slick street tyres.

Invest in some mickey thompson full race slicks on 15inch chaser rims and a jim berry full monty race clutch and you will run 11s with around 250kw.

Its not always about all out power. Many other factors to consider...

post-68689-1284278927_thumb.jpg

I got 254kw at 3200rpm with r33 gcg high flow turbo. Im very happy with the response and power i have with this turbo. I only paid $850 for gcg from SAU forums and sold my stock turbo for $300. So only cost me $550. i still retain factory air box and car looks very stealth. Best bang for buck turbo.

I know of people on this forum who have run 12.3s quarters with this power on semi slick street tyres.

Invest in some mickey thompson full race slicks on 15inch chaser rims and a jim berry full monty race clutch and you will run 11s with around 250kw.

Its not always about all out power. Many other factors to consider...

Wow that is a very responsive turbo, the stock turbo only beats it for a split second down low!

Thats interesting you say its not about all out power and the only examples you give are quarter mile times. On the 1/4 mile it IS all about power. Its about your moroso power which is the average of the rpm range you use down the 1/4. So if you spend your time on the 1/4 between 4,000rpm and 7,000rpm then its about the average power between those rpm. So in actual fact for a 1/4 mile race it is about power.

If you were to say street response, circuit racing or drifting then there would be more discussion.

When did the discussion become about bang for buck? The topic is about most responsive turbo to make 275rwkw.

Edited by Harey

Actually its all about power 2 weight ratio.

Harey

If its all about power work this out for me

300kw skyline with street tyres loses everytime to 250kw skyline with full race slicks down the quarter

Its not all about power buddy, its about power, weight, suspension, tyres, tempreture and also driving skill and ability

My apologies to all for drifting from the original thread.

Ps i love you harey

No. you can not beat a 300rwkws skyline on road with good street tyres. I run 10inch Dunlop Potenza in the rear. by end of 3rd you be over a car length behind. Works every time.

Also the more responsive the turbo is the more likely you will wheel spin, and it won't help you getting the torque you need by 3rd.

I guess this thread is about the most responsive 275rwkws. So run 52T 76mm comp in .60 housing with GT30 wheel in .63 rear with ext gate.

Actually its all about power 2 weight ratio.

Harey

If its all about power work this out for me

300kw skyline with street tyres loses everytime to 250kw skyline with full race slicks down the quarter

Its not all about power buddy, its about power, weight, suspension, tyres, tempreture and also driving skill and ability

My apologies to all for drifting from the original thread.

Ps i love you harey

Oooo someones touchy...

Are you upset you bought the wrong turbo?

WTF does weight and temperature have to do with turbo selection??

I will work it out for you, the 250kw has a major advantage of having race slicks.

Why does the 250kw car get slicks and the 300kw car gets street tyres?? Surely both should be the same for an accurate comparison.

With both on race slicks, the 300kw car would slam it everytime in a straight line.

Edited by Harey

Ok so I don't have a 33 but I do currently have an untuned 3071R 0.82 IW (genuine not the cropped version, I made sure of that) on my 34, WHICH IS GOING FOR A TUNE TOMORROW!! So excited :) Basically the same setup as Matt from NIStune, so anticipating 260-280rwkw at 17psi...

Bought the kit from Mick Whittle (Boostn Imports) and can't recommend him enough.

When doing this do you still have the AFM mounted on the intake side? Or in the cooler piping?

If on the intake do you get any problems with reversion?

it's on the intake side attached to the pod in a custom cold air box with CAI

i have had ZERO problems from the first dyno run :)

Why does the 250kw car get slicks and the 300kw car gets street tyres?? Surely both should be the same for an accurate comparison.

With both on race slicks, the 300kw car would slam it everytime in a straight line.

thaaaaaankyou!

found an old dyno run from a couple of years ago that is kinda relavant...

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/h...nt=MOV00074.flv

this is the result after about only 5 runs when we first filled with e85

car now makes ~15rwkw more and comes on a lil earlier

obviously. i don't think that's the issue here, more power (with all other things being equal) will win. hardly ground-breaking stuff.

i think what he was trying to say was that there is more to a quick setup than simply having 11ty billion kw.

obviously. i don't think that's the issue here, more power (with all other things being equal) will win. hardly ground-breaking stuff.

i think what he was trying to say was that there is more to a quick setup than simply having 11ty billion kw.

If he said that, then I would agree with him. But he didnt.

This thread is about turbo selection.

Edited by Harey

Ok so I don't have a 33 but I do currently have an untuned 3071R 0.82 IW (genuine not the cropped version, I made sure of that) on my 34, WHICH IS GOING FOR A TUNE TOMORROW!! So excited :) Basically the same setup as Matt from NIStune, so anticipating 260-280rwkw at 17psi...

Bought the kit from Mick Whittle (Boostn Imports) and can't recommend him enough.

That will be a great setup, I am keen to hear the results. So you mean you have the 5 bolt garrett rear to the exhaust housing?

Guys i love this site and i value everyones knowledge and opinions. SAU forums has ensured that i have made the right decisions in modifying my car with guaranteed results.

And harey, i still love ya mate. You will always have a special place in my heart......

From what i know and have researched my conclusions are as follows

GCG high flow= 254kw with great response for street

HKS GTRS= 250/260kw with best response for street

Garrett gt3071r 5 bolt flange= 265/290kw with good response around 3600 to 3750rpm depending on rear housing

Garrett gt 3076r 5 bolt flange=275/300kw with good response around 3650 to 3800rpm depending on rear housing

Dont waste your money on the 6 bolt garrett series as they are turd.

Hks 3037 and 2835 are great turbos but only for the elite and wealthy

That will be a great setup, I am keen to hear the results. So you mean you have the 5 bolt garrett rear to the exhaust housing?

Cheers mate. From my research (and obvious lack of eliteness, wealth and not owning the car back when the yen was at 103 lol) and budget it seemed the perfect choice. Yeah I have the 5 bolt exhaust housing so I had a custom 3.5in dump pipe fabd up for it. I have a feeling my nismo injectors are going to let me down though. But yeah that's for another thread.

Cheers mate. From my research (and obvious lack of eliteness, wealth and not owning the car back when the yen was at 103 lol) and budget it seemed the perfect choice. Yeah I have the 5 bolt exhaust housing so I had a custom 3.5in dump pipe fabd up for it. I have a feeling my nismo injectors are going to let me down though. But yeah that's for another thread.

IMHO the 3071 w genuine housing is definately the best turbo choice for an RB25 in the current climate (2835 being number 1 but cost prohibitive these days)

BUT..........

if i had my time again i would be going a twin scroll 3076 with a 6 boost manifold and GTR plenum