SAU Community

Aftermarket Suspension Bits For R35

LSX-438

After feedback from those that have tried aftermarket coilovers (or any suspension upgrade on the R35 really) and did you attribute any performance gain, and/or degradation of road manners?

The coilover of choice in the USA seems to be the JRZ's,

what have you tried and what are your thoughts?

I have attached a pic of my car and i think you will agree it looks like it handles like a double bed through that particular turn...

post-50312-1273115326_thumb.jpg

Hey guys

We have a set of HKS "Hipermax III sport" in stock and we in conjunction with HKS japan are looking for a customer that can give us some feed back on the coilovers in all different conditions ie road driving, track driving etc etc, What they want to know is if the spring rates etc are acceptable/suitable for our roads.

Please see the attachment for more information.

80155_AN011.pdf

If anyone is interested in this product, please feel free to contact us on 07 3356 9401 or [email protected]

Cheers

GT Auto Garage

HKS PRODEALER QLD

5/150 Edmondstone St. Newmarket 4051

07 3356 9401

Please visit our Blog for HKS GT600 Kit for R35GTR

I have already passed this information on to Duncan but for everyone else, Murray Coote (MCA) is working on making some coilovers for my car.

without wanting to sound biased he was not a big fan of JRZ. having said that the yanks seem happy with JRZ. I dunno. I think building and supporting a local product with a top guy like murray is a good option.

if anyone is interested in the MCA suspension pm me for details.

unfortunately though it will be a while before I have them on the car, fully set up and tested.

I have already passed this information on to Duncan but for everyone else, Murray Coote (MCA) is working on making some coilovers for my car.

without wanting to sound biased he was not a big fan of JRZ. having said that the yanks seem happy with JRZ. I dunno. I think building and supporting a local product with a top guy like murray is a good option.

if anyone is interested in the MCA suspension pm me for details.

unfortunately though it will be a while before I have them on the car, fully set up and tested.

Thankyou Mark. i had a quick chat with Murray this arvo before he left for NZ. I will catch up with him next week. cheers.

JRZs are a good coil over. We track them extensively, and are fast on them.

Anyone that crticises the construction of JRZ or their damper design is trying to sell you something. Take that from someone that has owned many different brands of coil overs over the years in many different cars from Drummond through to Penske and Ohlins.

Rather than get hung up about dampers, look into spring rate. Its picking the right springs and the right rate to work with the tyre set you choose thats way more important that any bump/rebound control subtlelty of one shocker design vs another. Very very few people have an idea of what works spring wise with an R35 as precious little do any testing therefore most of the off the shelf coil overs are no better than the stock gear :P

might be a silly idea, but has anything thought to just get a shop (say bilstien shop like heasmans) to put in revised springs and/or revalve the shocks to suit (if required?) to be more ideally suited to time attack events?

Edited by LSX-438

Anyone that crticises the construction of JRZ or their damper design is trying to sell you something. Take that from someone that has owned many different brands of coil overs over the years in many different cars from Drummond through to Penske and Ohlins.

Rather than get hung up about dampers, look into spring rate. Its picking the right springs and the right rate to work with the tyre set you choose thats way more important that any bump/rebound control subtlelty of one shocker design vs another. Very very few people have an idea of what works spring wise with an R35 as precious little do any testing therefore most of the off the shelf coil overs are no better than the stock gear :P

hey Martin.

Agree, there is much to be learnt about the R35 suspension. I am no expert thats for sure. I am pretty sure however that Murray's experience can speak for itself, I don't need to defend his expertise as he is regarded as a leader in suspension setup in Australia I doubt his comments on JRZ were aimed at selling his own product.

You are right about the lack of testing, hence why my R35 will provide feedback and data to MCA and will help them make any adjustments required to the spring rates and/or shock valving, further refining the overall product. All of our on track testing will be conducted under the supervision of Mercury Motorsport, and dealing with local companies (MCA and Mercury) provides access to limitless combinations of shock setup and springs, along with personalized, on-track service.

I am a big fan of using local expertise and products, which is why we are seriously looking at using some of the Willall gear when we get round to my build a the end of the month.

Hi Martin,

Good to hear you are fast with the JRZ's. We've also had experience with Penske shocks in Formula Ford. The Penske shocks and JRZ shocks are beautifully engineered shocks.

We'll keep the info we post here about suspension for R35's factual and non-commercial because we supply JRZ Suspension products ...

We work closely with the suspension engineer who worked with Peter Brock on Brock's Targa Monaro and Nations Cup Monaro’s.

This suspension engineer has worked as a consultant engineer to Eibach Springs, Ford Racing, Firestone USA, Tenix Defence and Hyundai Motor Company.

He has many years of very high level suspension engineering experience. He has worked in Australia, Europe, the USA and many other countries throughout the world and he has extremely positive things to say about the performance of JRZ shocks.

If anyone wants to talk to him about R35 suspension or see JRZ shocks up close, he will be in Sydney for the World Time Attack Challenge in two weeks time at Eastern Creek and we can introduce you to him at World Time Attack Challenge if you'd like to talk to him about R35 suspension. He lives in Australia, has 30 years of experience, and is available to do local setup, servicing and at track support for our customers cars.

JRZ's are not only used on R35's. They are used in a wide range of racing series including Formula 3, the Rolex series, World Challenge Speed GT, Koni Challenge, Asian GT, IRL, rallying and other forms of motorsport.

The Porsche that won the GT class in the 2006 Rolex 24 At Daytona won it running JRZ shocks, the Porsche that won the GT class in the 2007 Rolex 24 At Daytona won it running JRZ shocks, and the Porsche that won the GT class of the 2009 24 Hours of Daytona won it running JRZ's.

3 x Daytona 24 hour GT Class wins in 4 years from 2006 to 2009 :cool:

You can find articles about the 2006 and 2007 GT class wins here ...

http://www.jrzsuspension.com/index.php?id=9,28,0,0,1,0

http://www.jrzsuspension.com/index.php?id=9,57,0,0,1,0

Those results speak for themselves.

Suffice to say that JRZ's are an extremely high quality shock absorber, with years of proven results and very serious engineering behind them.

- The Tuners Group

Edited by TheTunersGroup

We are working with JRZ on some new setup for the R35 dampers currently, it should give interesting results.

Made in Holland, and with all issues addressed that many other brands of suspension dont (reservoir mounts, tops etc.) these have proven to be an excellent piece of gear - track proven too :wub:

• 4 weeks later...
We are working with JRZ on some new setup for the R35 dampers currently, it should give interesting results.

Made in Holland, and with all issues addressed that many other brands of suspension dont (reservoir mounts, tops etc.) these have proven to be an excellent piece of gear - track proven too :)

Any update on this Martin (the new JRZ setup)?

Also anyone tried other coilovers, kw? tein?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...