SAU Community

R33 Battery Keeps Going Flat !

I have this problem with my 1997 R33 GTS25T, the battery keeps draining itself, Ive checked the terminals, checked for earth leaks etc. Ive even got a brand spanking new battery and still the same.....any suggestions ?

At the moment, I have to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery to stop it draining itself whenever I park it for an extended periods of time and that's a pain in the back side.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Edited by SerenaM

my little interior light in the boot stayed on even when my car was off and that killed my battery after letting it die and recharge over and over again.

I had the same problem with the light in the boot. I ended up putting my camera in there and recorded after I closed and sure enough - light didn't go out.

If you have a multimeter (or friend with one) that reads a few amps you can see how much draw is occuring the next time you pull the battery cable. It goes "in-line" between the battery cable and the battery to read how many amps are being drawn. If there is much draw at all - like 1 amp or more, with everything off then you've got something wrong.

Generally look for anything that is causing a drain on the power, alarms, lights etc. Try disconnecting them one by one or pulling the fuses that supply power.

I have the same problem with my 33

My boot light is not on

I have an aftermarket alarm

its odd though a few months ago I never had this problem

I left my car at the top of the driveway for about a month because I wanted to drive my 31 around

I decided to change back,

I knew my battery was going to be flat so I got it charged up by autobarn

put it in left it over night and it started no problem for a week it was fine then it just started with the

battery problems over night and sometimes I drive to work, park it at 9am and then go to start it at 6pm and it sometimes struggles to start

I think it could be one of a few things

Ground - wire could be loose or damaged not giving a full connection

alternator - might not be charging correctly or loose wire or needs new brushes

corrosion on wiring might need a clean or change

short in the system or bad wire

Got my mate at Autobarn to check the alternator

my alternator is charging at 14v and is working perfectly

he said that there might be a current leak in the system

also been told to take out each fuse one by one and test the connections with a multimeter

might have to try this

If I cant work it out then I will take it to an auto-electrician

Edited by DRFT-ME

I knew my battery was going to be flat so I got it charged up by autobarn

put it in left it over night and it started no problem for a week it was fine then it just started with the

battery problems over night and sometimes I drive to work, park it at 9am and then go to start it at 6pm and it sometimes struggles to start

I think it could be one of a few things

Ground - wire could be loose or damaged not giving a full connection

alternator - might not be charging correctly or loose wire or needs new brushes

corrosion on wiring might need a clean or change

short in the system or bad wire

nope. dud battery. if you leave a lead acid battery flat it will start to sulfate immediately, and after a few days it will be cactus. it will never hold a charge again after that, the capacity will be minimal compared to when it was new. replace it.

to thread starter with a brand new battery - you need a multimeter on 20 amp range in series with the negative lead going back to the battery. Only do this with the car off and no accessories running - it will tell you what is drawing current. tape the bonnet pin (for the alarm) down and arm the alarm. then disarm and see if it's any different. then start pulling fuses until you work out which fuses are causing your current draw and that will narrow down the problem. you can pull the fuses one by one seeing the impact on the meter and then put it back. and keep a note of which fuses dropped the current draw and the amount of drop. you can then work out what's responsible for sending the battery flat too quickly.

take it to an auto electrician and turn the car off and ask them to measure the current draw on the battery. there will be some current draw, the auto electrician should be able to tell you whether its an acceptable amount or if something is wrong.