SAU Community

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all guys want to apologise for the poor quality of the photos - I was using my Iphone and it take rubbish photos so bear with them.

Update!!!

I have the engine and gear box out! Took it out the bottom with the cross member and gearbox attached. Nice part about it all - I have been able to clean everything. I was able to stand in the engine bay and prepsol the whole thing!!!

gallery_43534_3915_75131.jpg

All I can say is - WHAT A BITCH OF A JOB! People complain about working on mini's because they're tight in the bay but by god this car brings it to a new level! The engine is now out and on a stand getting lots of work done, well almost lots. There is a new timing belt, new ilder bearing, water pump, plenum gaskits and exhaust manifold gaskets.

gallery_43534_3915_625278.jpg

gallery_43534_3915_161195.jpg

The amount of parts that have come out of the bay and off the engine are endless.

gallery_43534_3915_46563.jpg

As you can see in the pics - I have pulled the turbos apart... I went to rebuild them using the kits I bought but the turbine wouldn't fit! Turns out I have NISMO N1 turbos on the car! I was wondering for people in the know - do all GTRs have an adjustable exhaust cam gear? looks standard... See pic:

gallery_43534_3915_698132.jpg

Now onto the sump:

Are the sump baffles in?

Can this be done without hauling the motor out?

I kinda want to swap my sump for a bigger one, but cant be f**ked with engine out.

Well hate to tell you this - no you cant do the sump with the engine in the car. Well I cannot conceive of any way you could achieve this. These are the pics and a mini how to:

Take your sump off the bottom of the engine. Make sure you do it with the engine up the right way so no rubish or debri falls into the block.

gallery_43534_3915_594914.jpg

Take out the standard baffle palte with the 10mm bolts. Block off the breather hose for the transfer case and get the sump into a parts washer. Wash it thoroughly. Dry it thoroughly.

gallery_43534_3915_274921.jpg

Take it to a bench and drill a number of holes from the flat part of the sump back to the deep part of the sump. Make sure the edges of the holes are not burred and nothing in the future will break off and destroy your engine.

gallery_43534_3915_559828.jpg

Take one very nicely made, yet unreasonably expensive, TOMEI sump bafle kit and bolt the bastard in.

gallery_43534_3915_482015.jpg

Stand back and admire your handiwork. Bolt the sump back on!

The turbos are off being fettled at the moment. The aircon compressor is being overhauled and the gearbox has been cracked open and all the bearings and synchros looked shmick!

Just ordered the clutch from Kudos. Hope it comes soon as I will be needing it very shortly! Just bought a HD exedy item. I cannot see myself pushing the engine too much further in the near future so it will be good enough.

Thanks guys. I should get my my turbos back from Turbologic today, mmmmm lovely rebuilt NISMO turbos.... Clutch kit arrived which is nice as well! One more step closer! The a/c compressor winding are stuffed. GEtting them rebuilt as well! Going to be lovely and new soon!

• 1 month later...

We thought it would be a good idea to do the sump with the engine in - It is possible, but probably harder than pulling the whole engine to be honest!

Support the engine from above, take off sub-frame, pull gearbox apart from engine, take sump off and add baffle/extend, reverse. Not really as easy as it sounds :)

saw ya yesterday on hume h'way/m5, that was me in the gunmetal r32 gtr

have you put an ecu in your car yet mate??

Not yet... I am on the look out for a power fc atm. I had the car at unigroup on monday to check fuel ratios and make sure it was happy and safe. Makes 205rwkw on 8psi :D Loved the sound of yours! You live local?

We thought it would be a good idea to do the sump with the engine in - It is possible, but probably harder than pulling the whole engine to be honest!

Support the engine from above, take off sub-frame, pull gearbox apart from engine, take sump off and add baffle/extend, reverse. Not really as easy as it sounds :)

That sounds like a complete pain in the ass. Why not pull the engine and do a major service when putting in the baffle?

Alrighty! I have finally uploaded some pics of the build...

The engine with the new covers painted and mounted back on the subrframe for installation!!!

gallery_43534_4026_4323.jpg

gallery_43534_4026_74707.jpg

gallery_43534_4026_37245.jpg

Back of the engine with the new clutch installed!

gallery_43534_4026_45245.jpg

Here is the lovely rebuilt NISMO turbos... We had to order new compressor wheels from NISMO japan for them...

gallery_43534_4026_32393.jpg

gallery_43534_4026_52810.jpg

gallery_43534_4026_90894.jpg

gallery_43534_4026_40913.jpg

More to come!

looks fantastic !!!!

engine looks sooo clean now lol will look soo good in ur engine bay

u mentioned you have lag? will be worth the money to put an adjustable cam gear on the intake side aswell (you already have an exhaust one right?) and get them tuned with the power fc :)

nah im from sutherland shire, was coming back from picton go-karts for a corporate event...

:D

looks fantastic !!!!

engine looks sooo clean now lol will look soo good in ur engine bay

u mentioned you have lag? will be worth the money to put an adjustable cam gear on the intake side aswell (you already have an exhaust one right?) and get them tuned with the power fc :)

nah im from sutherland shire, was coming back from picton go-karts for a corporate event...

:D

Ahaha, I was coming back from Picton seeing family as well!!! Dont see full boost until 4500rpm. I will get prob a matching pair of gears when I get a power fc...