SAU Community

How To Make My Stock Gtr Intercooler Shiny :)

Ive seen it done heaps of times but couldn't find any information on it.

Can i just rub back the cooler? If so how?

or does it need to be polished or galvanized? If so what kind of places do that?

Hope someone can help me out.

If you mean the fins, rubbing back and polishing would be almost impossible to get a nice finish. What material is the IC made out of?

IIRC Anodizing is generally a method used with Alluminium to thicken the natural oxide layer making it more durable, doesn't effect shine.

However, you could electroplate it. It would probably tell a hell of a long time, but you could even plate it gold (real gold) if you wanted. This would be pretty cool as you'll coat the fins too.

It is possible to do this at home, but I really shouldn't recommend it. Maybe google some commercial electroplaters (or just platers) in your area.

Remember though, dull/dark surfaces radiate heat better than shiny/reflective ones.

Though if you don't want the fins to be super shiny, is there a reason you want to keep your GTR cooler? Shiny FMIC's are as little as $200, the fins would be a clean metal but not reflective.

A mate and i cleaned up the end tanks on his intercooler.. gumption and the lil scourer pads.. savings brand from coles.. like 20 to a box... came up awesome!!

post-37050-1274016655_thumb.jpg

I like the sound of the electroplating.

If i was to change the cooler i'd want a good one not a $200 one thats the only reason i dont want to get one.

I like the sound of the electroplating.

If i was to change the cooler i'd want a good one not a $200 one thats the only reason i dont want to get one.

Spend your money elsewhere is a better option I think. Isn't there a saying about a monkey in a suit is still a monkey in .. you guessed it, a suit.

hmm but changing my intercooler will get expensive because ill have to change the piping and get a tune. Not to mention that itll be defectable (not that it isnt already).

nevermind, do what you like since it's your money anyway. Personally I wouldn't spend +200 dollars on something that actually decrease its performance. Why don't you buy a cooling radiator panel or an oil catch can for your car instead.

2 cans of paint stripper = $20

$15 for a tub of metal polish

the end tanks are cast, so you would need to sand them back then sand them back then sand them back then polish = $20 worth of sand paper at max + alot of your time

time is free ???

ps factory intercoolers are "edit : NOT" defectable so you dont need to worry about that part.

lol funny how leaving out a word or 2 letters causes a stir

how is a factory intercooler defectable??? I would have thought that if it was a defect they would have to be changed at compliance to meet ADRs then?

I thought that stock is not defectable as its stock, has passed compliance and therefore must be ok... A dickhead copper (my experience is they're mostly ok) may slap a sticker on because he/she thinks its a mod not standard but I wouldnt have thought they'd say "hmmmm, you have a standard cooler... better defect that so you can have it fixed"

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I also want to strip the paint on my stock intercooler. I remember seeing a DIY thread on it but i can't find it.

Simply put, take it off, strip the paint and polish. Is that all that is required? Is there any way I can damage it?