SAU Community

1983 R30 5 Door Hatch

Hi,

This link was posted a while back by 'alexunder'. http://xenons30.com/reference.html

First link on that page is:

Model L20A, L24 Series Engine Service Manual- Complete 10.9MB PDF

It's an old manual but has pics of the timing chain and tensioner on several pages. 

JH

Am I missing something here?

To me it doesn't matter a toss where the chain is mounted because the timing marks are on the sprokets, not the chain. The chain is simply the tool that connects the 2 (camshaft & crankshaft sprokets) together.

I'm using an Kameari hardened chain & Kameari adjustable chain tensioner and I can assure you, there is no shiny links in the Kameari chain whatsoever, not even the joiners.

And the timing marks must be set with the engine at TDC on #1 cylinder.

D

I think u might be im not sure? :bunny: have a look on the service manual in first quote, open service manual, scroll down to page 59, left column #17 and read the *note*

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Ghostrider is in the same boat as me...

the shinny links are of no importance if the bottom and top are on TDC... I guess they just help you confirm that you have it set right, and I guess further down the track might help you know if the chain has slipped or something...

I think they are only important when assembling the engine without the timing case on, so you don't know for sure that the bottom is on TDC...

You don't need to change the castor rod brackets to adjust the caster, just make the current rods adjustable by cutting the thread longer and adding an extra nut...

Daewoo

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(:D:O:banana:

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

sorry had too!

now ill have to do a oil flush with new oil/filter and prob do the auto at the same time

any reccommendations on oil but no castrol, etc crap?

also with the auto is there such a thing as filter replacement? similar to a vn's auto service kit?

gawd.... just go into repco and ask for the filter kit, its like under $30

oil, depends on the km of the engine, and what your plans are. ask the repco dude...

its ok getting everything ordered through workshop next door so everything will be done by Wednesday