SAU Community

R35 + E85 @ Eastern Creek

LSX-438

With everyone turning up the wick recently in the NSW Sprint Championships, and with Martin at Willall Racing having success himself with E85 in his GTR, it was a logical choice for more performance.

My local mechanics (Russo Performance) installed higher capacity fuel pumps (GSS342's) and a set of 950cc Deatschwerks injectors. Everything was plug and play, including the tune that Martin emailed me just a couple of days ago. All ftted and tuned, off to Mainline for a dyno run or three to check it all came together well; see dyno sheet below.

So VERY happy to pick up 45awkw as promised. Driven in anger it turns all four wheels on the street it's insane!! To me the best thing is the driveability - it's 100% unaffected when you are just cruising around, it's impossible to tell. That is a massive plus.

TRACK RESULTS: straight out of the box yesterday we smashed the old record on the 3rd lap of the first session (1:40.1). The car setup and trim was exactly the same as last time (actually we had NEW slicks last time, i think there will be more time with new slicks). So i am chuffed to pick up a second around eastern creek, and break the lap record too.

Thanks to Martin for the E85 tune, you know your stuff. And thanks to Russo Performance for fitting the hardware. Bring on superlap!

e85-dyno.jpg

I will get some video up of the run when i get time.

Dunc, great news and well done.

I take it E85 is available at the pumps down there? how much can you get it for? anyone know if there is any difference to the E85 used around the country or does it all come from the same source and is it all rated the same octane? We have to import it in 200L drums up here so not cheap.

Dunc, great news and well done.

I take it E85 is available at the pumps down there? how much can you get it for? anyone know if there is any difference to the E85 used around the country or does it all come from the same source and is it all rated the same octane? We have to import it in 200L drums up here so not cheap.

Mark

We have it on pump (about 15min drive from my place) and it's $0.99c/litre. I have a few jerry cans which i will fill up. A full tank and some jerrys should last 2~3 weeks when not racing for me. I believe the stuff we get is from CSR. There are a few other pumps in NSW (wollongong i believe, and somewhere else) but too far away from me. We should see E85 pumps pop up all over the place in the next 6 to 12 months, with holden selling their e85 cars.

Edited by LSX-438

What is the consumption of E85 like? Do you use more litres per 100km than regular 98 RON petrol? Do you plan on using E85 all the time or just for race meets?

I havent measured it with any accuracy but i would say you use 25% more or thereabouts. I am not sure you can believe the consumption numbers on the display now either (Martin?) So anyway the fuel cost is roughly the same as 98 when you factor in extra consumption. I am running it full time for now, servo isnt too far away.

good result mate. should be hard to toss come SL this weekend. :thumbsup: 1:40s for such a well mannered and mostly standard road car is very impressive. 35 GTRs are far quicker than they should be. they truly are much more than the sum of their parts (or the sum of their stats). so close to running in the 30s which is just un heard of really for a big fat road car. at this pace it might be worth thinking about a roll cage. I know the 35 is a very safe car but the corner speeds it's capable of now and the straight line speed is just scary fast for a car without cage.

• 1 month later...

Backing this up was a message from LSX-438 I just got on the phone

On stock Bridgestones tyres and full weight it just ran 10.8 @ 132mph through the traps at WSID. Thats very similar pace to Whicups run in the 888 Ford at Willowbank :(

Edited by Martin Donnon

Backing this up was a message from LSX-438 I just got on the phone

On stock Bridgestones tyres and full weight it just ran 10.8 @ 132mph through the traps at WSID. Thats very similar pace to Whicups run in the 888 Ford at Willowbank :(

. . . . That is a mad time on those tyres!

Well tuned and well driven! . . . Good job by all concerned

Just watched the vid and on the second lap where you did a 1:40.2, your mid corner speed at turn 1 was 10km/h slower than the first lap (171 vs 181). You could have gone even quicker!

Correction - 10.73 and hes been given the boot :blush:

No cage, no race...

Sensational.

Thanks for the catback and tune Martin; 10.73 @ 132mph, 20" Bridgestones, full interior, we weighed the car at track (1715kg) + 80kg driver.

Got booted after first warning, Would love to have tried with lighter 18's i reckon there's a couple of tenths there easy. Race seats and another tenth or two... hmmm.

Pics and vids to come.

thanks again Martin :happy:

E85 is the bomb! I have not got around to tuning my R35 for it yet, but had

my R33 set up for it a few years ago & is a brilliant modification.

Made the car quieter, smoother, & more powerful. Is definitely the way to go

for the street/track road going weapon.

Well done LSX. Welcome to the 10 sec club. Back in the day I used to run flat

10 at the same mph (in an old holden!) so goes to show the top end power of these

new cars(& they turn corners & stop too!)

Keep up the good work - great to see you out there having so much fun.