SAU Community

Ebay Turbo Vs Brand

hey guys

i was at a shop the other day were my mates engine was getting built and my friend asked if he has had any experience with ebay turbos and he said he has and cant fault them :cool: he said garret and a few other turbos are made in china aswell?? i didnt really beleive him but just putting it out there

i havent searched to see if this had been brought up before sorry if it has..

Garrett's are made in America, Japan, Mexico and China.

I wouldnt trust an Ebay turbo as far as I could throw it.

So many horror stories, and has been covered 11ty trillion times on here

Garrett's are made in America, Japan, Mexico and China.

I wouldnt trust an Ebay turbo as far as I could throw it.

So many horror stories, and has been covered 11ty trillion times on here

i work for garrett :ninja: but what would i know with the internet and what not.

Last time I checked, china aren't on the cutting edge of turbo charger technology.

Case in point:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DUAL-Supercharger-T...=item3cacdb3909

Lol you gotta give it to em though, they know people will pay for absolute shit if they make it sound awesome. "DUAL SUPERCHARGER TURBO FUEL SAVER FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Come on... Supercharger, turbo and fuel saver all for 17 bucks!? That's gotta be awesome and work exactly how they say it does! Group buy on the intake restriction?

I run an ebay turbo on my rb30.

And I don't get the anti-china thing? If those guys can accurately put together the thousands of precision bits you are typing on, they they can build a big cast fan.

Yes my turbo is a bit laggier and not as efficent as some, but it delivered my goals for a street motor at a good price. And it might not last as long, but I can replace it 5 times before its worth buying a garrett.

BTW on custom race turbs from Garrett are built in america. Everything else is built in a third world factory just like your nikes

it's important to clarify what you mean, do you mean a no brander ebay turbo such as MONSTA, KKR, T3/T4

i call these "ebay" brands as they are typically junk, cheap spec, poor match, don't mate up and have no real solid brand

yes they may work as duncan said and may do the job, but usually its an inferior product and there are comprimises

there is nothing wrong with turbochargers made in china, garrett and hks one's would be made in china no doubt

its an issue where a cheap product or brand is made in china and there is poor quality control, r&d and a poor basic product

ie a HKS turbo made in china would be fine vs a MONSTA T70 turbo made in china

Yes my turbo is a bit laggier and not as efficent as some, but it delivered my goals for a street motor at a good price. And it might not last as long, but I can replace it 5 times before its worth buying a garrett.

True, I have an Monsta eBay front mount because all it is essentially is is a massive heat sink not much could go wrong other than it being less flowing or effective than a hybrid or ARC.

But for something that spins at a million RPM I personally would want to make sure it's of high quality as more of a safety precaution than anything. I haven't destroyed any turbo's yet but I imagine it could get pretty nasty...

And as Paul said, it's more about the product as opposed to where it was assembled.

The most important computer parts that we're typing away on right now are (and have been for at least a decade) actually created in America with the less critical stuff from mainland China. With the exclusion of Taiwan, but I think that was more of a western push originally.

my 2c

edit: gramMar

But for something that spins at a million RPM I personally would want to make sure it's of high quality as more of a safety precaution than anything. I haven't destroyed any turbo's yet but I imagine it could get pretty nasty...

Not having a go, just while we are sorta on the topic, I thought turbos spin at like ~80,000-150,000? or am I way off?

i buy quite a lot of boutique turbos off ebay that are made in taiwan, but they have a proven track record and are quite uncommon.

Not having a go, just while we are sorta on the topic, I thought turbos spin at like ~80,000-150,000? or am I way off?

Your way off, chinese ones spin heaps faster and save fuel as well...

And I don't get the anti-china thing? If those guys can accurately put together the thousands of precision bits you are typing on, they they can build a big cast fan.

Beaten by paulr33, but Chinese manufacturing is all about quality control. If you have the parent company standing over the manufacturing plant watching every move and making sure the job is done right, it's fine. If there is no control then you get a shit product, but you get it cheap.

Considering you get a motherboard that works for 3 days and then dies, you warranty it and continue on. When it comes to a turbo spinning at crazy speeds and possibly sending a compressor wheel through your engine the variability you get with Chinese products makes me steer well clear. You are putting a lot of trust in someone doing good QA, because the Chinese culture is to do it cheap. Japanese culture (by comparison) is to do it well, and that's expensive. Look at the premium brands for car parts - HKS. Trust. Apexi.

On the other hand, Chinese radiator and bellmouth dump pipe? no problem. Got both on my car and they work OK.

i buy quite a lot of boutique turbos off ebay that are made in taiwan, but they have a proven track record and are quite uncommon.

Taiwan is generally a higher quality product. We deal with electronics suppliers from both countries and my general impression is that the Taiwanese are more skilled.

Branded turbocharger or any product would follow the following principles:

innovation, evaluation, production, quality analyze, distribution, pricing, after sales, profit taken

Some Low cost products on ebay consists only:

production, distribution, pricing, profit taken.

In general branded products has better performance, reliability, and after sales support.

i always thought that they were junk, but in saying that when i was down for stadium drift in the goldy this guy that was talking to us has a 180sx and apon showing us under the bonnet was like a chinese 2 dollor shops window everything was!!!

i was in disbelive that this t3/t4 turbo on a SS highmount manifold and 38mm gate not only made 247RWKW but had for nearly 2 years so the guy said.... and it looks like it had been there for a while to and judging by the car had seen an arse flogging!

i would never use a no brand chinese turbo, manifold or gate on my car but was amazed that this car seemed to use it all and work well??

althought he said it didnt come onto boost till about 5k