SAU Community

Ebay Turbo Vs Brand

Chinese manufacturing is all about quality control. If you have the parent company standing over the manufacturing plant watching every move and making sure the job is done right, it's fine. If there is no control then you get a shit product, but you get it cheap.

From my dealings, I'd go as far to say they do EXACTLY as asked with regards ro manufacturing, you just have to ask the right questions and make it VERY clear.

A long time ago I asked that I had a certain component used during manufacture (as it was a higher quality), thanks to a language barrier they took it to mean I wanted the documentation to state the part was used (when it really wasn't)

Once I had explained that they HAD to use the part for the item to be reliable they were more than happy to continue down this path and have never deviated from this course. But as shown they are more than content to keep the customer happy, even if they think they're mislabelling etc etc to get a sale. This is where less than honest suppliers will utilise their lenience and get dodgy things made cheaply.

"Just following orders"

Not having a go, just while we are sorta on the topic, I thought turbos spin at like ~80,000-150,000? or am I way off?

I think you're right. I was thinking a lot about vortex tubes at the time and the number 1,000,000 rpm was in my mind.

Then there's the DUAL Supercharger Turbo Air Intake Fuel Saver Fan which maybe spins even faster.

</off topic>

• 11 months later...

I had an ebay turbo once, the dreadful 50 70 KKR Rip off (I was so so poor back in the day lol and shamefully it was on an R34). It was only Oil Cooled. You would turn the blade and it wouldn't continuely spin like a GTX3076R. You could tell the build quality wasn't the best. The only thing I did to it was put an orginal GT30 Wastegate on.

Funny enough the car wasn't terrible, I was able to "overtake" v8's, evos and rexs. 3500rpm at 12psi (LOL). Car was dyno'd at 230rwkw (Injectors Maxed Out). I used it for 20000km and took it off because I got cashed up. Turbo is still in tip top condition. But you get exactly what you pay for. I payed for old technology and I got sub-par performance. Compared to a GTX3076R their are huge differences.

For Street use yes it is ok since you'll only ever run for less then a minute. But for track unless you have a couple sitting around and are ready to replace. I wouldn't use them again.

Not having a go, just while we are sorta on the topic, I thought turbos spin at like ~80,000-150,000? or am I way off?

when i was an apprentice the laptop program we used on the big Detroit Diesel dump trucks displayed figures with gauges like a dashboard. none of our trucks had the optional turbo speed sensors but the gauge only went to 30,000 or 35,000 from memory. i always wanted to order one and check it out.

This China talk is so interesting. Although there is some rubbish on ebay, there is also some quality available too. Just because its on ebay doesnt mean it is junk AND just because it doesn't have a big name brand stamped on it doesn't make it junk either.

This reminds of a mate many years ago (maybe 20 or so) who worked for a brake pad manufacturing plant in Melbourne. I owned at the time a Toyota Hi Ace and complained about why new front pads at Toyota boxed pads were $100, Bendix $65 and no name wrapped from local parts store were only $35. He axplained: He would tell me how along each conyer belt would be 3 or 4 different packaging stations. Some would go into Toyota (for eg) boxes, some into Bendix boxes and some just into plain boxes or Repco boxes. Same pads. Different box = higher price.

My point is, we make assumptions based who has (or can afford to create) a higher profile for a brand name without really knowing if the quality is the same, better or worse. Just take my boost controllers for example when I google turbotech boost controllers and do soem reading I am amazed at how many people say they have ditched other manual controllers from brand name companies to use mine. Yet, they have a higher profile, expensive websites, in autobarn catalogues etc and can afford to make sure that their webites are on front page of google searches! I manufacturer by hand myself, where do you think all those shiny ones come from??

China, Taiwan, Indonesia??

About China, they are renowned for manufacturing big brand name components (turbos included)then making huge amounts on the side to flood the market and show up on ebay. Are the knockoffs the same quality? Probably, why would they change it? I know an engineer that was manufacturing brake kits for older Holdens. He now has them made in China at the same quality but delivered back to him made in China for less than he can purchase the materials in Australia!!

Sure China probably produces some crap (or even heaps of it), but so does Australia or any other country! But just because it is half or one third the price doesn't always mean it is junk..it might just be teh same unit :thumbsup:

I can't believe I just tyoped all that..haha

Alot of people make the mistake when they contact a Chinese manufacturer by "negotiating" with the price.

For example, the Chinese say yep we can make what you want, it's gonna going to cost $50 each, for example. So called business man says no, I want to pay $35.

The Chinese agree to the lower price almost everytime but the quality is halved. And they won't tell you this !

When we deal with them for work, we get a quote for each piece to be made, we tell them we will give you 10% more per piece but it has to be exactly the way we want it. Never have any problems with them, and the quality of their work is outstanding.

You bargain with them = you get crap, be reasonable and pay abit more = you actualy get decent quality.

Well said..

China and some other Asian countries are now producing some of the highest quality products on the market (probably some of the dodgiest too hehe).

The saying "you get what your pay for" is true the world over.

I have never had a problem with 'cheap' cam gears, even though there 1/3 the price on the bramd names.

I think with items that are complex and require quality parts like a turbo you shouldnt really gamble.

Im sure the kando dynamics turbos are good but the kkr and other runbish i wouldnt put on my car even ir it were for free.

You can prob fluke A good set of cam gears, but rubbish ones do exist, I've seen some that have the advance/retard markings the wrong way, some with no degree markings etc

Yea Ive seen some poorly made ones out there. I have even had some cheaper cam gears color fade from red to poo fade red in less then a month. I think its more trial and error, even the HKS 3 spoke ones were renowned for slipping.

I'm fitting my new cam gears this weekend, i'll see how they go. I have had these before and had no problems.

If i had a rb26 or a rb25 then i prob wouldnt risk it but 20's are so cheap im not to fussed if the motor let go , gives me an excuse to go 2.2 stroker or 25 :cheers:

A mate bought a "3076R equivelent" turbo off Ebay, the front is exactly the same size as another mates 3076R, but the back is smaller than my 2860-7s... fitted it to his RX7, after blowing the standard one, he went DOWN 50kw+, compared to the (smaller) 20 year old turbo that had been on there... Yes there is some good gear comes out of there, but in China they joke about stuff that is "MIC"- Made In China, and use it as a reason that something is poor quality...

I can't afford to use a cheapie..........I drive big trips in the country and do not want to be stuck 10 miles from bumf**k at 2 o'clock in the morning. I don't dispute that a chinese turbo will give the same or similar performance, I paid [or hope I did] for the dependability that a company like Garrett base their business on. I have to say so far, so good.

i dont think china itself has a global quality control issue

i think its more a fact that there is some crap stuff coming out which is "referenced" as china cheap

so everyone blames china

i reckon the HKS factory is probably in china and it is very strict

afterall china is a global manufacturing region and everything comes from there

tvs, computers, cars, ovens, watches, stereos, engines and not just turbochargers

there are some clear and obvious baddies to be aware of

and these probably reflect bad people in china who copy stuff, not china itself

its like the cisco counterfeit hardware

in shincanzen (spelling) there a factories that spit out cisco 12k and GSR/CRS line cards which are rip off but cisco cant pick the difference and pass it as legit, even though its not. so its not the countries fault, but specific areas.