SAU Community

Stock Dump Pipe

hey my 33 is running 12 psi through stock turbo a front mount and cat back zorst will a split dump pipe open it up much. ????

my mechanic said the stock one is ever so restrictive. wat sort of gains am i looking at the one im looking at is the just jap stainless split dump

Hey man yeah the stock one is VERY restrictive. As is all stock exhaust work.

I'm not a fan of split dumps much, not many people I speak to are, a lot of people have boost issues, and they aren't that much different (power wise) from a bell mouth. A good bell mouth works well and is great to free up a few horses. You'll notice a BIG different with a catback already and 12psi.

Make sure you get an aftermarket dump AND front pipe, with a good metal cat, otherwise you're shooting yourself in the foot, cos the stock front pipe and cat is very restrictive also.

Happy exhaust-ing!

nah man its hot . i want one . where abouts u situated ???nsw???
would have cost a bit to convert aye

haha cheers, Yeah it cost a lot. all custom work, pushing 10k now including the wheels, went for everything top quality, braided lines, standalone, garrett GT turbo etc... I'm in Perth though. lol

Interesting reading what you guys think this side of the world

RSP http://www.risingsunperformance.co.uk/shop/index.php a very well know tuning company in England actually recommend you keep the stock down pipe as it is very well designed most after market down pipes could not gain any improvements over stock when tested. Also most of the aftermarket elbows catch the turbo penny and cause overboosting. RSP recommends using the standard elbow, i no people Running stage 3.5 turbo with 1.4bar of boost with no probs at all. No spikes either.

Edited by jjskyline79

RSP http://www.risingsunperformance.co.uk/shop/index.php a very well know tuning company in England actually recommend you keep the stock down pipe as it is very well designed most after market down pipes could not gain any improvements over stock when tested. Also most of the aftermarket elbows catch the turbo penny and cause overboosting. RSP recommends using the standard elbow, i no people Running stage 3.5 turbo with 1.4bar of boost with no probs at all. No spikes either.

have you actually seen a stock dump? and do you have even a basic understanding of how air flow and turbulence works?

are you sure you arent thinking of the GTR dumps? the gtst one isnt anything flash.

Interesting how you claim that a ~2" press bent pipe flows more air and causes less back pressure than a 3"+ bellmouth mandrel bent dump pipe at any given boost level and flow rate. This completely undermines my understanding of fluid dynamics regarding turbine flow and back pressure. Also we're not talking about the compressor elbow here at all, that is a completely different area of engine tuning. BTW, what the f**k is a "stage 3.5" turbo?

it's super leet turbo, you wouldn't know you're probably running stage 1 :P

anyway, he's probably mixed up with the GTR dumps, I was looking at doing a full exhaust but most people told me the stock dump pipes on the 34 GTR are quite good and don't need to be changed. apparently they are better flowing than the stock 32 and 33 GTR dumps.

Love the way most of you think its me me me Claiming blar blar blar

I havent got a clue tbh and it was the R33 GTR by the way sorry.

AS SAID AND I WISH PEOPLE WOULD READ IT BEFORE BUT IT WAS RSP THAT HAD DONE THE TESTS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME AND ONLY PASSING ON INFORMATION.

If you want to find out more contact them simplez

Is that clear enough for you this time wink

Thank you

Edited by jjskyline79

I thought I'd add my 2c.

I have had one of the old Batmbl split dump/front pipes on my 33 for a few years and when the turbo was stock I never had any boost issues or anything.......but, once I had my turbo highflowed I have had boost control problems with spiking and the highflow kind of hiccups and has a little stutter high up in the rev range.

My tuner (unigroup) say that this is caused by the split dump being made for the standard turbo so when the rear housing gets machined out a bit for the bigger impeller thingys (very technical speak..haha) the "hole" in the split dump is actually a little smaller than the hole in the exhaust housing which in turn creates enough turbulence to create small boost controll issues.

If someone with a better understanding of turbo flow etc can explain this in a better way please do.

I hpe this makes sense, I think you'll know what I mean though.