SAU Community

New Fine

zero-R33-

Hey guys,

I read in the paper the other day that they are bringing in a new law that if you leave your car unlocked when parked you get a hundred and something dollar fine. They say it's to stop break ins and what have you, but I still think it's just yet another blatant toll on the motorist and an easy way to take money from the people.

Anyone heard if this is actually being enforced or just a stupid thing in the paper (the article didn't really say).

Strange how they say they aren't trying to revenue raise....

yeah i saw an article on this in the papers few days ago. Dont know how exactly cops gona know if car is locked/unlocked unless they try to open the car door themselves. Modern day cars now have the lock indicator on the door handles so unless they go for a closer inspection of the car, i dont know how they gona know if its locked or not.

First of all, they shouldnt even be taking a peek into anyone car cause it looks suss and anyone could dress up as a copper and randomly go around openning car doors and see which unlucky one is unlocked and clean it out. If anyone ask, "im looking for people to fine that have there doors unlocked. Got a problem?"

NO SHEET dont touch my car cause it looks SUSS. :)

It was on the news last at start of the week. $117 fine adn if you contest it it can cost up to $360 in court. Funny thing is, it's always been the law the rekon, they have just never enforced it. Yarra Ranges Police have started enforcing it, no warning at all. If you leave your car unlocked and you are further than 3m from it and the cop comes up to your car and opens the door... BAM! Fine for you!

I rekon you should park your car, leave it unlocked, hide in the bushes or go and sit on a park bench and when cop comes up to check your door, push the button and lock it. Heheheheheheeee :):D

Oh and I agree, it's a stupid bloody law.

yer i read this in the paper too...i think its a fkn joke..so many times id go to maccas etc with my mates park my car atleast 10m away in my sight and leave it unlocked...what they gunna fine me for that because its more then 3m from me?

You could always be a smart arse if they ever pull you over on the side of the road. If they're at your drivers door they probably have their car unlocked and would be 3mtrs from it :) might even have the keys in the ignition. by the way I'm not going to try that one.

I agree with the fact that's it's fn dumb. So many issues with violence and knives etc everywhere and they want to pay a cop to walk around a car park checking for unlocked ones. Hang on someone spending time in a carpark checking cars.. kinda sounds like a parking inspector :D Get them into the areas that need them. Better yet spend time catching and punishing the fks that steal cars and/or the things in them!!

Edited by Fry_33

As Fry_33 said, its a total waste of police resources when there is so much violence on the streets. But I suppose its heaps easier to hand out 10 fines in a night for leaving your car unlocked than to arrest a meth head who stabbed someone with a syringe..

F*ckin stupid...

if i saw a cop open my dorr to "check" if it is unlocked id have him arrested for attempted grand theft auto, break and enter and any other thing i could pin the flamin mongrel for

i guarantee the next day that the law would be revoked.

i was talking to my mate about this on thursday he has 2 convertibles so if he left his roof down at the beach or something then what would happen they cant make u lock ur car or put ur roof up, its like we have no rights.

Yeah I heard that, what a load!!! It's your property, so it's your decision whether to lock it or not. Also it's not as if it's a massive problem in Melbourne... I've never heard of someone having stuff stolen out of their car when it's unlocked, only when it's locked, because they locked it! And it still doesn't keep the robber out! Then they have to fix it too.

Just don't leave valuables in your car :)

I don't think it should be a fine but I don't think your insurance should cover you if you have things stolen from your car when it's unlocked. If I take a TFMV report and I believe it was left unlocked I certainly mention it so the insurance company is aware.

We had an operation on last year where members and NHW people went around car parks looking into cars to see if NAV Man or valuables in plain site and left note to owner warning them of same. Talk about waste of time. Fortunately I didn't get put on it.

just money hungry.

EPA blitz, people stopped driving, they didnt make enough cash.

now they just enforce what ever they want to make a little extra cash.

next you'll get a fine for peal paint, wearing your hat in the car, not putting a seatbelt around that watermelon on the back seat.

their getting more and more sad each week, i've seen 3 cop cars pull over 1 car. while those 2 other cops cars are hanging around for a chat, there could be a girl getting raped or someone getting stabbed or robbed 100meters up the road.