SAU Community

Just Done The Tie Rod Ends On A '94 R33 Gtst And...

Over the weekend, I put new Tie Rod ends and Steering Rack boots on the S1 '94 R33 GTST and I think I have a few problems.

First off, the steering boots were easy to put on - I'm glad I got them done!

Now, here is the problem, I've fitted the tie rod ends (burson part number TE 926-14) and they seem to fit perfectly, with plenty of room to adjust for the alignment

BUT, I now have a huge issue and I'm not sure if it's the alignment (I know have I have to get one after removing the lock thread nut to replace the rack boots) or something has gone horribly wrong.

I've taken the car for a test drive and the steering feels really sloppy and lose (almost like there is no load on the tyres), the tyres squeal like mad (and are wearing on the outer edge) and the car, oddly enough, tends to drive in a straight line - which is really strange.

I've noticed that if I turn medium to hard right, the steering wheel wants to fling itself all the way to the right on its own.

I did a real quick alignment using string matched up with the untouched rear wheels, but this didn't seem to do anything at all.

Everything else on the car was functioning as normal prior to me swapping the tie rods ends.

The Tie rods as bolted in as part as they will go with the castle nut and that seems to be on par with the removed/old tie rod ends that had rotted rubbers.

Any thoughts?

I'm worried that its not the alignment as the steering behaviour is really odd and the tyers squealing madly with evident tyre wear on the outer edge on both tyres.

Cheers.

PS: The car is competely stock - only mod is a stereo and front sway bar.

Edited by weSky

What sort of tie rod ends did you put on it? It sounds to me like you've got too much toe in. I would definitely be having a wheel alignment as soon as possible.

If you live in Brisbane, bring it to me at City Suspension, Slacks Creek.

What sort of tie rod ends did you put on it? It sounds to me like you've got too much toe in. I would definitely be having a wheel alignment as soon as possible.

If you live in Brisbane, bring it to me at City Suspension, Slacks Creek.

I used a Burson part number TE 926-14. They seem to fit perfectly and were a match up to the old ones, albeit maybe no more than 10mm short on the shaft/screw in part.

I'm hoping it's alignment, but if it is, it's really really bad!

Unfortunately, I'm down in Melb.

I'm not driving it as it is unsafe - but I will run it in to a workshop on Wednesday.

Cheers!

how did u go with this? sounds strange as soon as i replaced my outer tie rod ends, my alignment was out but the steering felt more direct and firm.... and got rid of this small vibration i had at speed.... also r33 have a few different part numbers depending on series maybe you have the wrong part?

Edited by rgr34