SAU Community

Undercar Surge Tank + Pumps

Alf

I'm looking to upgrade the fuel system with 2 x bosch pumps and a surge tank.

To keep it legal the fuel system cant be mounted in the boot, plus id like to keep the boot space. With the limited room underneath how have people over come this problem?

PS: I have a 32 GTST.

Edited by Alf

I'm looking to upgrade the fuel system with 2 x bosch pumps and a surge tank.

To keep it legal the fuel system cant be mounted in the boot, plus id like to keep the boot space. With the limited room underneath how have people over come this problem?

PS: I have a 32 GTST.

Autosport (I think its brads R32 gtr) had this set up.. looks very neat.

Thats my car and pics.

Autosport made it to my design. They've done more since mine. Brad welded it I think.

Speak to EFI performance. Pierburg external fuel pump. No need for surge tank.

A pump alone wont be enough when the fuel in the tank moves away from the intank pump, thats why a surge tank is needed.

I'm using an 023 intank.

Edited by Alf

A pump alone wont be enough when the fuel in the tank moves away from the intank pump, thats why a surge tank is needed.

I'm using an 023 intank.

Yes I know what a surge tank is for. I understand what you are saying but I have been assured you wont need one with this setup.

Here is a 'quote' from an email from Rick at EFI

"We recommend you look into an extra external pump we use and recommend (pier berg) high volume fuel pumps which are a draw and push pump capable of 350L per minute @ 3bar where the bosch 044 external is only a push pump and with its expensive fittings ect they are rated at only 200L per min @ 5bar."

"We have used these pumps on over 40cars now and are really taking off, they can be used with C16, methanol and are also E85 user friendly where the bosch pumps are not."

Like i said, I reccommend speaking to the EFI guys. They are really helpful and great to deal with.

Any love for the PierBurg?

Edited by RBceffy25

Yes I know what a surge tank is for. I understand what you are saying but I have been assured you wont need one with this setup.

"We recommend you look into an extra external pump we use and recommend (pier berg) high volume fuel pumps which are a draw and push pump capable of 350L per minute @ 3bar where the bosch 044 external is only a push pump and with its expensive fittings ect they are rated at only 200L per min @ 5bar."

"We have used these pumps on over 40cars now and are really taking off, they can be used with C16, methanol and are also E85 user friendly where the bosch pumps are not."

Like i said, I reccommend speaking to the EFI guys. They are really helpful and great to deal with.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but a draw/push pump is self priming? It can recover from the air in the fuel lines quicker?

I still can't see how this is supposed to replace a surge tank.

The system on steves gtr was built and designed by myself from steves guidline of everything in one unit under the car.

The current ones I'm using on my GTRs have individual chambers supplying the pumps and are foam filled to settle the fuel a bit more.

I rather use them with dash fittings as opposed to barb tails and clamps.

They work well and are realativly inexpensive.

Ive seen a few jap gtr's with a similar design is it based on a sard item?

Ive seen a few jap gtr's with a similar design is it based on a sard item?

It's not based on a sard item.

I jacked my car up, saw a large space near the driveshaft with nothing there, went to autosport and told them what to do and what I wanted. Greg and brad did the rest. I can't weld to save my life.

I wouldVe liked it to be tucked up further but then it wouldn't be as big. Flow was a concern as Brad and Greg figured out the tank had to be over 4L for the pumps I'm using.

The timing worked out great, they fitted all the rest of the fuel setup and the motor aswel. I always recommend them.

they dont say anywhere that the dont require the use of a surge tank and all pumps have to pull push as the fuel doesnt get gravity feed into them.

It's not based on a sard item.

I jacked my car up, saw a large space near the driveshaft with nothing there, went to autosport and told them what to do and what I wanted. Greg and brad did the rest. I can't weld to save my life.

I wouldVe liked it to be tucked up further but then it wouldn't be as big. Flow was a concern as Brad and Greg figured out the tank had to be over 4L for the pumps I'm using.

The timing worked out great, they fitted all the rest of the fuel setup and the motor aswel. I always recommend them.

thats a perfect spot stevo. for a little more detail its the same on the GTSt and the spot is on the drivers side just in front of the back wheel. basically under the rear seat.

The system on steves gtr was built and designed by myself from steves guidline of everything in one unit under the car.

The current ones I'm using on my GTRs have individual chambers supplying the pumps and are foam filled to settle the fuel a bit more.

Any idea on prices to get one made up (to suit an R32 GTR)?

My mate and I made one the same as the process west unit for his xr6 turbz. Except instead of a billet tank welded down I just folded it up out of 3mm ally and welded it down to a lasercut plate. Turned out much the same and saved the expense. No need for a flashy unit when its tucked under the car and getting dirty constantly.

Edited by r33_racer

Any idea on what one of these surge tanks cost?? Was it a custom one off job or an off the shelf item?