SAU Community

Dr30/ S13 Front End Couple Of Qs About Tie Rod Ends

Have you got any play in your steering linkages that might be causing the problem?

Also, the problem might be emphasized with the movement of the steering box because you're trying to mix 2 systems that were never designed to be that way.

I haven't entertained the possibility, other than look into a 280ZX set up, but my thoughts go to the movement the steering box system tolerates. The R n P system has virtually zero play as the rack is firmly mounted to the crossmember or firewall, where as the steering box system has some tolerated play from the flexing steering box to the linkages to the strut.

Ozdat do a steering box brace for Datto 1600, but don't do anything for the D/H/MR30. It's something I have been working on for a few months now, but as yet haven't produced a prototype for testing, as the Skynats have taken preferrence over everything else.

A brace of this nature would go a long way to eliminating the movement issue.

Cheers, D

i understand wat your sayin, ive made my own steering box brace, idler bushs and drag links all replaced.. its like comparing a 19 year old to a 30 year old women, the 19 year olds tight and fresh, and the 30 year olds old and loose, it is wat it is

ive figured out if u lenghtn the adjuster this will only give u more thread,(and would be alot safer) 2 get the ends to sit propally will need longer ends or hubs modified..

off to pickn pay on weekend to c wat i can come across

Thinking about it Dennis.

Your car may sit a little lower than mine if the L28 is much heavier than the FJ20

I bounced your current set up off Toperformance in Melbourne, so it will be interesting to see what their opinion is eh?

If it's not what I want, I will be doing something similar I guess, but I'll get some springs made by Allsprings at Liverpool and at my specs.

Thanks, D

Response from Toperformance for interest sake!

The part numbers quoted are from all over the place, so I cannot say what

the resulting heights will be, as the car/spring combination is not recorded

in the data base.

It would seem to me that the final spring fitted to the front might be a bit

underdone in initial rate, allowing the car to crash onto the bump stops,

but this is speculation on my part.

Be interesting to see how it handles on the weekend at your competition day?

Cheers, D

i understand wat your sayin, ive made my own steering box brace, idler bushs and drag links all replaced.. its like comparing a 19 year old to a 30 year old women, the 19 year olds tight and fresh, and the 30 year olds old and loose, it is wat it is

ive figured out if u lenghtn the adjuster this will only give u more thread,(and would be alot safer) 2 get the ends to sit propally will need longer ends or hubs modified..

off to pickn pay on weekend to c wat i can come across

I don't know if this would be an answer to your problem, but would a spacer between the strut base and the steering arm change the angle enough to cure your problem?

Cheers, D

I don't know if this would be an answer to your problem, but would a spacer between the strut base and the steering arm change the angle enough to cure your problem?

Cheers, D

yea need to be a bigger balljoint cos of the s13 hubs. would help the bump steer problem, i no u can get em 4 s13s etc, weather they can be pressed into r30 arms have nfi

if it was standard strut ass. be allot easier to get right

im about to do this setup for my r30 i used to work at pedders and still have access to a large number of different tie rod ends and steering arms the only thing i can think of is to get a longer tie rod that can have a spacer put between the tie rod and the hub where it mounts lowering the arm a little im sure i can find something that will work? pics of what you have would be great

im about to do this setup for my r30 i used to work at pedders and still have access to a large number of different tie rod ends and steering arms the only thing i can think of is to get a longer tie rod that can have a spacer put between the tie rod and the hub where it mounts lowering the arm a little im sure i can find something that will work? pics of what you have would be great

[/quote

sounds good! ill throu sum pics up asap, just need to fix my camera