SAU Community

Importmonster.com.au

Why do you refer to JDM C110's as 240K's? 240K was the export name for the C110 for AUS and Britain.

I was working to your budget

I referred to it as 240K because for $15k you could get a nice Aussie one for that or less.

(If you were patient and lucky)

But as Ravenoak mentioned there's no way you'd land a C110 for that much and they're essentially the same car

Also remember you are dealing with an Aussie Company - not some Jap registered one that is exempt from taxes here and so on :)

You are as well, dealing with a face/person here in Aus. Should something go wrong it's fixed here - good luck getting some of these Jap based people to sort out such issues quickly/reasonably.

I've known the people behind Import Monster for 6-7 years now, and I get the majority of my stuff via the boys as well as it's just less hassle. I've been dicked around by Jap based resellers of parts and so on and it's a mission. Paying a tad more for the better service is worth it everytime for me!

I bought my first Nissan in September '73 from Capital Motors at Auburn NSW, the very site that is now Reading Cinemas. It was a nice mustard yellow 180B SSS and I bought it because it was quicker than an 240K, not quite as quick as an 240Z until Messrs Ray & Don Selby went to work on it for a week and then no series production 240Z got near it.

Cheers, D

I bought a new March 1974 180B SSS

The newer model unfortunately lost out on the cool centre guages (like the 240Z) and about 5 HP.

Was a cool metallic blue though.

Got it from Duncan motors in Perth (there's now a hotel on that site (Orchard Hotel))

What would you guys reckon about importing a C210 GT-EX from japan?

Would you do it?

I want one but is it worth the $15-20k?

No, no, no.

A JDM GT-EX, and lets be specific here, has different lights, electric windows, mirrors and badges to your Australian C210, in a good way. It also has an L20 turbo (yawn), different seats, rims and steering wheel, and possibly grill and headlights in a much-of-a-muchness to less than good way. Then there is the predictably awful state of any given Japanese interior and engine bay to sort out, after you get the car complied and registered.

In short, why would you pay $15,000 for $2000 worth of interesting parts? Buy the specific bits you need from import monster and throw the remaining 13 grand at... well, whatever you want.

As i understand there were 2 GT-EX's C210 from 1978 then C211 with "modernised" front, rear and interior from 1980.

both had L20ET's and were the highest factory spec of C210/211, if you will, the GTR of C210's.

I'd like one of the later series with all the electrics and fuel injection.

As ive written before my car doesn't have p/s,a/c, electric mirrors/windows.

I don't want to retrofit the above into my AUS export version cause i see it as too much work, whereas bringing one from japan will have everything as factory worn out yes but everything is there.

Are you suggesting to buy GT-EX parts and add them to my car?

Unfortunately the GT-R of C210's is no G-TR of note, I've driven one and it basically sucked. The Japanese L20 non-intercooled turbo with injection makes, according to my Japanese advertising material, 130HP at 6000 rpm. That's a full 4 horsepower less than your stock-as-a-rock single carb L24, 8HP less than an L24E, and 32HP less than a stock L26 with twin carbs. I'd like to imagine that a warm L28 (like mine) would make more power than that again. You could always modify the L20 with bigger injectors, intercooler, computer (I've been driven in a tricked up L20 turbo, and it was exciting)... but if that's the path you're going down, you may as well mod a local engine.

Fitting power-steering (which I prefer not to have on a C210) and air con (which I also prefer not to have) from a wrecked Australian car is a big expensive pain, agreed, but way less eye-watering than the parting with 5 figures. Customs is going to degas your Japanese air cond anyway!

I think if you lurk around import monster, you'll slowly amass the cool goodies you want, without going anywhere near a $15,000 budget. If I were prepared to part with that much to bring over a Japanese car, it'd be for something with a substantial resale value in Australia... unlike a C210.

In short, add the GT-EX parts you like to your existing car.

i don't believe that the L20ET makes less power than my car, that's pretty bad.

I bet some japs feel ripped off when they read that.

Why do you prefer not to have power steering / aircon on a C210.

I don't mind the manual steering, only get annoying when car is fully laden and trying to do carpark manouvres.

I'd like a/c for the summer, related: Do 240K compressor and cabin unit fit in a AUS spec C210?

Stock as a rock L20et as in my Paul Newman does 145PS which equals 106.55 kW which equals 143.01HP @ 5500rpm as opposed to the MR30 Oz delivered L24E doing 93.4kW which equals 125.25HP @ 5600rpm.

L20et is still better, but not something to write home about or get all goose bumpy lol

D