SAU Community

Best Clutch For 400rwhp?

my last clutch was an exedy (not sure which one, but single plate button)

it came from japan with it

it did 5 years with ~150rwkw and the old owner

1 year with 185rwkw

1 year with 260rwkw

1 year with 310rwkw

i treated it like SHIT, kicked the crap outta it, rode it, slipped it

it only died with 320rwkw a couple of months ago when it just started to slip in 4th on the dyno, so we ripped it out.

Could you confirm what colour the cover was and what disc was in it?

Was it the glossy silver cover with the 3 puk plate? If so, what was drivability like on that one, and pedal effort etc.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you use the same bearing carrier for both clutches? if yes, then i would dare say the excedy didnt last long as the bearing carrier that worked with the nismo clutch would most likely be too long

Every thing was used from the excedy kit, then when it started slipping weeks later, everything from the coppermix was swapped back on. Mate took it to a gearbox/clutch place in S/Brisbane who checked it out and re-fitted the excedy before we put the coppermix back on only to find it slipping on them too.

People can rave about them all they like and tell me how they make OE clutches, I won't use one ever again and nothing will change that. I have fitted numerous clutches and have never had an issue with holding power bar the excedy.

I understand alot of people here run them without issue, but when you get stung 4/4 times you can only really draw one conclusion.

I have an extreme cushion button clutch in mine.. has been in for about 3 years although only the last year and a half or so with the same power as you. feels like a normal clutch for everyday driving but when you dump it, it acts like a normal button clutch. very happy with it. paid 320 bucks for it brand new trade price.

Can someone confirm the exedy part numbers for the HHDB and HHHDB for 33gtst??

And it was said above that the early 32GTR has a higher clamp rate?? They are the same spline and diameter, is this a better choice?

I had a silver cover sprung ceramic 5 puk exedy in my 300rwhp RX7 and it was absolute garbage. Would get hot and slip after a single launch. Was around $480 trade. I would not want that in my line.

• 4 months later...
Could you confirm what colour the cover was and what disc was in it?

Was it the glossy silver cover with the 3 puk plate? If so, what was drivability like on that one, and pedal effort etc.

sorry for the late reply but i've just moved house and i seem to have lost that clutch... must still be at my mates house...

i'll have a dig around

• 2 weeks later...