SAU Community

Best Clutch For 400rwhp?

ive been looking at exedy website and they got under sports tuff section 5 puk button or heavy duty kit..

then its next stage racing clutch sports ceramic and sports organic?

which one u talkin about mate?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where abouts in Qld are you? I get mine done in sydney through my mechanic (the guy doesn't sell to public), have a single organic, 540hp atw and NO slip. Includes dumping the clutch at 7000rpm doing 60 in 2nd and the it all hooks up and sends the rear sideways. Very driveable, i even have the vac assist off the clutch master cylinder. My mech is happy to supply one for you through his account (he's quite a nice guy....) Last I checked pull was about 1350 and push was about 1250. Let me know if your keen.

thanx for that doo doo, but thats a bit more then what im looking at spending sorry :banana: wish i had that much 2 spend but it just dont happen

The kit im reffering to is this one here mate:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Exedy-HD-Button-Clu...=item335a1e1529

I have had limited exposure to the extreme range tho, I have installed an extreme drift clutch into an S14... It turned out VERY well, 1300kg and very very easy to use. It was surprising. As I only installed it literally weeks ago, I cant honestly report on its durability BUT It was a 2nd hand kit I installed, tho I did know the car it came from fairly well.

After some impartial discussion with jim berry Im actually leaning toward the extreme drift clutch for my RB. Its a combination of pressure plate and diaphram that do it, but its a bigger outlay. For the price, really cant fault the exedy mate. The sport tuff ones are a different range though, meant to be better but mixed results from me.

Also, the said S13 in my previous post had a HHHDB kit, which is this kit on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NISSAN-SKYLINE-R31-...=item4a9f83620e

Alot heavier and harder to use but will hold more power. I would contact the seller to confirm it is a HHHDB kit and not just a HDB before purchasing tho.

thats the one i was looking at scott, i even pm'd him the other day and he rkns he rates it to only 340rwhp that exact model/kit... but then said he add in something extra to rate it to 400rwhp for $640 .. not sure what he does... hrmmm.. those xtreme clutchs arent cheap.. $1200-1500 ish... ppl i only wanna spend like $500-700 max lol im a tight ass hahaha

yeah man whats the go HHHDB kit? whats that mean.. so its still 5puk button.. but stronger? looks the goods for 600ish

Edited by l0WRB

The HHHDB is the same thing as the other 5 puk button but they use thicker straps. The straps are the springs that make it clamp shut.

On my mates S13 it was a 1200kg clamp load, as apposed to an 800 or something that the HDB is.

H stands for Heavy, D is Duty, B is button. Obviously HHH is tripple heavy duty, its one of the upgrades exedy offers. As stated, it was a good kit and has been running for 5 years in my mates S13, but its not exactly something you just drive around carelessly... It takes effort to drive.

sounds good

i dont mind something a bit heavier harder 2 drive. i like that feeling

hopefully in next few weeks i can order it and put it in :banana:

Jim rebuilt my Nismo copper max single plate. converted it to a organic with 3400 clamping pressure. it feels no heavier then original and its great to drive. thats with a RB30 making 500Nm of torque worth every cent of the 900 odd it cost me.

Exedy single plate HD button....

cheap and will hold 400hp

I agree with the above. I'm running close to 400hp and am using the exedy sports organic. It is one step up from the HD button. Has a higher clamp load and has a very light feel unlike the break your foot button clutches. It's about $100 more for the comfort

Jim Berry Single plate Full Monty.

520rwhp, 3rd gear clutch kicking, 2 boxes and a diff.

Awesome clutch!

Might want to try the Driveline section next time though.

we are talking rwhp yes? cause if not, then the stock HDB will be well enough,

if 400rwhp go an HHDB or HHHDB

Also, the said S13 in my previous post had a HHHDB kit, which is this kit on ebay:

this i what i am running atm and i cant fault it... car makes 323rwkw (430rwhp)

i dont mind something a bit heavier harder 2 drive. i like that feeling

it's a fairly bitey clutch for a daily, but given that i daily mine with no problems... (they do drive some people nutz tho)

Jim rebuilt my Nismo copper max single plate. converted it to a organic with 3400 clamping pressure. it feels no heavier then original and its great to drive. thats with a RB30 making 500Nm of torque worth every cent of the 900 odd it cost me.

if you have time on your side, you can buy a nismo coppermix that has been killed for cheap and have jim rebuild it

awesome option

I agree with the above. I'm running close to 400hp and am using the exedy sports organic. It is one step up from the HD button. Has a higher clamp load and has a very light feel unlike the break your foot button clutches. It's about $100 more for the comfort

krzysiu's clutch has a nice light pedal feel and will hold 400hp without a worry

an HHHDB will be a tougher clutch, but also tougher to drive... i think if i drove kris's car now id probably kick a hole in the firewall :bunny:

I fitted a 5 puk excedy to a mates modified s15. Was supposedly rated to the power, was fine for the first 3 weeks then started slipping under boost.

Chucked his old single plate copper mix back in, and it was all good.

Can't say I was impressed with my first excedy clutch.

Personally I run a older ORC twin plate in my 26/30 with the larger plates. If you don't mind a bit of rattle with the clutch in then it's all good. I don't know what your mates doing with his twin plate but there is nothing wrong with them, I would go twin every time on a high torque output vehicle.

Otherwise if I had to go single it would be a JB clutch, and yes the man can talk underwater.

Edited by James_03

my jim berry single plate is holding my RB30 fine, no need for these double and tripple plate leg destroying clutches. if you didn't know it was good for 700hp you would swear the thing at best had a heavy duty clutch.