SAU Community

Is R35 Gt-r Really Fun To Drive

rehab2010

Everyone still calls it Playstation car, with AWD and semi-auto manual - all these thing do not inspire me with confidence that the car is "fun" to drive.

What do the owners that mostly drive it on the public roads say - is it fun, does it make you smile as you hack through the corners, across local mountain roads - or is it way too precise and clinical to raise your heartbeat?

What do the owners that track it say?

i don't recommend you get one.

you might accidentally take it to the track.

then you will want different tyres and upgraded brakes.

the suspension will start to seem inadequate and then you will eventually want more power.

soon after (if you haven't already) you will want to start lightening it.

aero mods will of course pop up for which you will want the best front splitter with brake ducting and a GT style rear wing, likely dynamic.

you will want to monitor your performance which will then lead you to drop a bundle on some fancy data logging device.

Eventually you will want even better tyres and further brake upgrades.

the suspension..........

Running 1:02's at Wakefield in a 1700kg leather laden road car, pulling in excess of 1.6 g's through the fish-hook is the best fun i've ever had with my pants on. It's freakin awesome. It drives me home in quiet comfort too, which is a huge bonus. I can take the rug rats to school too. There is NOTHING you can do on the street that comes close to the range of grin factor you get from such a track session. I really have no idea why anyone would buy a GTR for 100% street duties.

i don't recommend you get one.

you might accidentally take it to the track.

then you will want different tyres and upgraded brakes.

the suspension will start to seem inadequate and then you will eventually want more power.

soon after (if you haven't already) you will want to start lightening it.

aero mods will of course pop up for which you will want the best front splitter with brake ducting and a GT style rear wing, likely dynamic.

you will want to monitor your performance which will then lead you to drop a bundle on some fancy data logging device.

Eventually you will want even better tyres and further brake upgrades.

the suspension..........

I presume this is last 6 months of your R35 ownership - seems expensive this little "lets try it on the track" experiment hehehe.

Does anybody find it fun on public roads - I have a track toy already, probably wouldn't track my 150K car though.

I got mine about 2 weeks ago and i got to say, it's a great car to play with.

It goes fast, it stops fast!! what more do you need :)

With this car, you can even drive 3 extra people around and it'll still go fast!!

So yeah, i love it :wacko:

I got mine about 2 weeks ago and i got to say, it's a great car to play with.

It goes fast, it stops fast!! what more do you need :(

With this car, you can even drive 3 extra people around and it'll still go fast!!

So yeah, i love it :D

Fast = yes, but is it fun? Does it make you smile or does it simply just do everything so easily that you go "hmmmm, this was fast, controlled, hmm".

everyone is different. the only way to get an answer is to get ahold of one and drive it for yourself. some will say yeah it's fun. some will say it's boring. not everyone wants the same stuff out of a car. do I think it's fun to drive? yes I do. but I also enjoy a lot of other cars... I think a 1984 alfa GTV6 is fun to drive too. it has a de-dion rear end with rear mounted transaxle, 200hp V6, RWD and great balance and sounds fantastic. it's about as far from a GTR as you can get but I like them both.

Fast = yes, but is it fun? Does it make you smile or does it simply just do everything so easily that you go "hmmmm, this was fast, controlled, hmm".

I'll be honest with you. Personally, I smiled, screamed, yelled...etc when i drove this car, cause i just loved it. (even when it's in proto type)

However, I've got 2 friends sitting in this car before and i gave them a quick 0-100 and they were shocked!! (got scared of the speed)

So in short, I smiled and they were shocked...

To me it does everything so easy it feels a bit boring stock. Haven't had an exhaust installed the loud sound might make it feel more fun. Cause it's as quiet as a hyundai stock even under boost it's just quite like a jet.

It's faster than you can imagine and you can sure get a rush from blasting it, You'll find bikes wanting to drag you no cars ever seem to try. I can imagine it's freaking awesome fun on a track I've yet to track mine. I wouldn't recommend it for general everyday fun driving as unless your putting foot to the floor feeling the 1-2 G's then it is very controlled and feels like it just laughs at anything within the public road speed limits. Compared to other cars at this price range I still feel the car is amazing and what else is there a BMW m3? (boring) or a cayman neither are super cars like the GTR.

Amazing car that begs to be tracked.

Hi Matt, good to see you car is going strong! If you are keen, there is a track day at QR on June 15 if you want to get out on track. There will be at least a few 35s on track.

Hi Matt, good to see you car is going strong! If you are keen, there is a track day at QR on June 15 if you want to get out on track. There will be at least a few 35s on track.

Hey 70RTY thanks for the offer but I've got a lot of business stuff going on taking my focus right now. I'll have to look at getting it on a old track day in the summer though that would be sweet.

Hey 70RTY,

I saw u at aspley maccas a few days ago. I'm going on tue , are u meeting up before with anyone.? What sesh u doing. I'm going afternoon, leaving about 10..

OT, car is very fun to drive.. Would be great if was a couple hundred kgs lighter!

Its not fun to drive its a farkin beast , first time i drove one ,

i blew so hard the first time i put the power on .

Basically you get major rear wheel spin for a split second and then the front wheels kick in ,thats when it pulls hard ,

i got the R35 on a track up to 300 kph and backed off before top speed , still felt stable though !

Still great on public roads although some roads in Adelaide are really bad .

A very nice ride in comparison to my old 930 turbo !

Great value for what you get , nothing will come close to it on the street in looks and performance, only problem is the poor rear vision and semi auto down change is delayed to long and can be a bumpy shift down .

If you put enough power into an R35 they can actually be quite frightening to drive on track, not boring :P

I know our car will melt slick tyres through second gear, making full throttle application a decision based on skill and experience. It is much, much more demanding and challenging on the racetrack than our RH9 800hp R32 GTR was, which is a decent comparison :)

- I wish there was a track in Adelaide to get to 300km/h on - our peak Mallala speed in the Willall GTR is a genuine logged 226km/h (250km/h or so indicated), which is the same kind of number the front runners in the Australian GT Championship (GT1 class) have seen at Mallala in testing :(

Edited by Martin Donnon

Hey 70RTY,

I saw u at aspley maccas a few days ago. I'm going on tue , are u meeting up before with anyone.? What sesh u doing. I'm going afternoon, leaving about 10..

OT, car is very fun to drive.. Would be great if was a couple hundred kgs lighter!

Hey mate, yeah that was me at Aspley Maccas... my car feels a bit heavy on track. Not sure why....

I am heading out for both sessions tomorrow. Looking to arrive at about 7.30.

This car is a blast to drive on the track. It is a bit frustrating on the road where you can only use a very small fraction of the performance most of the time. In saying that, I still find it enjoyable on the street.

Yes, I wish they would open up AIR again........ we would see 300 down that

long straight no problems. Now THAT would be FUN!

I love my R35. Is definately a fun car, although a bit compromised for everyday

driving (for my taste anyway). Luckily I only need to drive it when I want to!

Is a huge blast at the track, but I do find it a bit heavy compared to my R33 GTR.

I did a Radical test drive day at Eastern Creek recently (my first time at that track)

& thought how much fun the R35 would be there being a larger/faster track than Mallala.

Cruising in the R35 is like rollin with an uzi on your lap - every now & then you just

want to spray.......

My advise is BUY ONE.

Is a huge blast at the track, but I do find it a bit heavy compared to my R33 GTR.

I did a Radical test drive day at Eastern Creek recently (my first time at that track)

& thought how much fun the R35 would be there being a larger/faster track than Mallala.

Cruising in the R35 is like rollin with an uzi on your lap - every now & then you just

want to spray.......

My advise is BUY ONE.

summed up very nicely.

now, tell me what did you think of the radical? They are just out of this world aren't they?!?! :D

It goes fast, it stops fast!! what more do you need :D

I DO get what you say...

but every time someone says this, I look in the rear vision mirror to see if the following car is stopping as fast as I'm stopping. LOL

want to spray.......

My advise is BUY ONE.

Munro mate - that is one sweet, to the point advice. I will get one.