SAU Community

Swaybars - R33 Gts25t

Just fitted whiteline adjustable swaybars front and rear to my car.. and I've got to say, bang for buck they are absolutely the BEST thing I have done to my car. It just feels so much tighter, so much more planted, and best of all has had very little effect on the ride quality of the car.

I would recommend doing them before adding big power mods to your car, it lets the sports car hidden behind soft springs and skinny swaybars shine through :P

Anyways I'm done ranting.. but if havent got swaybars you are missing out! ;)

+3 I installed a whiteline adjustable rear swaybar on my R34 GTT yesterday and OMG what a difference. Car feels so stable and can go around corners much faster without realising it. Absolutely fantastic! Cant wait till I get the front sway bar on as well!

Havent been able to fully test it out as the roads were wet all day yesterday. Even in the wet its soo much better.

Edited by Harey

what size is generally best on the rear for r33 street use?

i have a 24mm adj. going on the front, but i dont want to fit it till i have one for the rear

Edited by Munkyb0y

Not sure mate, I have the adjustable ones from Whiteline (Which I think are the largest anyways). They have it set as hard as it goes on both sides and honestly to me it feels pretty good! Maybe on real rough corners it bounces a little too much but thats easily fixed by putting it on a lower setting.

Harey: Dont know about you but when powering out of a corner the back end just feels glued now, rather than that slightly dodgy leaning/twisting sensation I used to get. When you fit the front one you will definately notice it will feel a lot more responsive and resistant to understeer. :domokun:

Harey: Dont know about you but when powering out of a corner the back end just feels glued now, rather than that slightly dodgy leaning/twisting sensation I used to get. When you fit the front one you will definately notice it will feel a lot more responsive and resistant to understeer. :thumbsup:

Yup for sure. I find it hard to describe, summary it is VERY VERY GOOD! It also allows the car to take mid corner bumps while still keeping the car flat.

what size is generally best on the rear for r33 street use?

i have a 24mm adj. going on the front, but i dont want to fit it till i have one for the rear

Hey mate

A 20mm adj rear sway bar is plenty on a street going R33. You will regret going and bigger than that as you will be lifting the inside wheel and loosing traction which is OK for drifting I guess but basically crap for everything else.

Also no worries fitting a bigger front sway bar without doing the same on the rear it will be a massive improvement. In fact some guys go back to stock rear sway on the track for traction reasons listed above. Bigger is not always better with sway bars.

Chuck that front one on and enjoy! :P

Do the sway bars make a big difference if you have already got coilover suspension?

Yes - coil overs and sway bars do different jobs and upgraded sways will complement your upgraded coil overs very nicely.

Hey mate

A 20mm adj rear sway bar is plenty on a street going R33. You will regret going and bigger than that as you will be lifting the inside wheel and loosing traction which is OK for drifting I guess but basically crap for everything else.

Also no worries fitting a bigger front sway bar without doing the same on the rear it will be a massive improvement. In fact some guys go back to stock rear sway on the track for traction reasons listed above. Bigger is not always better with sway bars.

Chuck that front one on and enjoy! :banana:

doesnt it kind of promote understeer though, with only the front one done?

doesnt it kind of promote understeer though, with only the front one done?

It may - although IMO the skyline is a taily car to begin with. I will probably end up with my new swaybars on middle front and soft rear, will start soft/soft and go from there but if i was a gambling man that would be my bet :D

to everyone who has and recommends an adjustable one, have you actually played with the adjustments, or did you install it and adjust it to clear things and forget it?

I have to admit that I havent played with the settings, theyre both on hardest.. BUT I have king springs and standard shocks which are both fairly soft. In theory this keeps the car sitting flat while still being as grippy as a car with softer settings, and on my car I think I've hit a fairly good combination. My friend who drove it reckons it handles like a cat on carpet haha.

If you already have fully hektic coilovers/ you might be in a different position to me :D

i have 24mm front and 20mm back its plenty :(

you do not want to go too big

They are the regular whiteline sizes for r33

I have 27mm and 24mm, doesnt feel too big to me, and like I said, theyre adjustable so if its too firm back it off :P

I use selby adjustable 27mm front and 24mm rear. Currently running front on 2/4 stiffness on either side and rear on full soft. Handling balance is pretty neutral, very little understeer and controllable oversteer that tends to want to straighten up rather than get bigger. This is with 180rwkw running r compound tyres.

Had the rear bar on full hard before - might be good on the track however it made the rear end feel a bit to sketchy for my liking. Hard to describe the feeling but I guess it felt like there was the chance of turn in oversteer and you couldnt fully trust it. Might have been better if I had adjusted the front stiffer but I couldnt due to the stock links not reaching the hardest two holes so I backed off the rear bar instead.

Now running street tyres which are wider at the rear but have not had a chance to try them out enough to make a judgment.

i have the blade ajustible ones

24mm front BNF24Z

20mm rear BNR20Z

both are blade ajust set on medium front and rear feel amazing i think that they are perfect for a street car that goes to the track, i went drifting and the stability was so much better and far better than stock, i cant wait to get my coilovers in to see how much better it is after they are in!!