SAU Community

Engine Runs On 5 Cylinders After Overhaul

Try setting No. 5 to BDC and then turn it and see if there is compression, then do the same test with No. 5 on TDC.

This will tell you if you have a stuck lifter etc, because if you set it to BDC on the firing stroke and then screw in a spark plug you have a full chamber of air. You can't get compression if no valves are opening, it doesn't suck in any air to compress.

I found what the problem was today. One valve on the intake side is not sealing properly, probably because it's bent, even though it's not visible when looking on it.

I added some fuel on the intake side and it went through the valve when it was "closed", while the other valves were not letting through any fuel.

So hopefully someone can fix the bent valve tomorow, looks like buying new valves are quite uncommon.

Edited by Iceman22

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is now finnaly solved. After installing new valve on the 5th cyl, all the six cylinder were running.

At first I took it for a long run, and the day after drifted with it on the track for a hour. Today morning I checked the oil and it barely used any :D

So I hope all the cylinders will last for many years in the future without needing to rebuilding it again (CP forged pistons)

Thanks for all the help everyone..

Edited by Iceman22