SAU Community

Hid's On Standard Headlights Quick Question

Hey guys sorry if this question has been asked before i have been doing some research on HID's iv been wanting to get Bi-Xenons (Hi/Low Beam) installed on my Skyline but my headlights don't contain any type of projectors or reflectors they are just standard S1 R33 headlights.

My question is how many of you are running HID's on your Skyline without Projectors / Reflectors ? etc... and have you had any problems with oncoming traffic (other road users) flashing there lights at you or Cops (defects). I was looking at getting 6000k but a lot of people on this and other forums say that without proper headlights the HID's create glare into oncoming traffic which makes them Illegal to have installed.

Cheers guys any help on the issue is appreciated if this question has been answered directly before link me to the thread i have tried searching but i don't believe it has been asked before.

Edit: i have also read about retrofitting projectors it seems like a decent size job to do but i am not really that committed to getting HID's if that's the only option i have.

Edited by DarkRyda

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hate all cars with HIDs, they do blind people and if you have HIDs on in the rual areas, i don't turn off my high beams (cuz i cant see shit).

HIDs = too bright.

out of every mod you can do, this is really one of the few mods i would actually complain about, simply because it affects me.

edit: it might depend on the HID but all too often they blind me and you really can tell the difference between normal and HIDs. headlights are designed to be short ranged, i don't understand this whole phase of super bright headlights, its the exact opposite of what they are designed for.

Edited by Peter89

Thanks for the input buddy my headlights are using Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra's atm but they just aren't doing it for me i am not looking to upgrade my headlights to HID for the look or just to add another mod to my car its mainly for distance/vision/visibility reasons hence the choice of 6000k HID's.

if you want a light that gets you better/further vision, ditch the crystal vision. for starters they aren't ADR approved, secondly, the more white/blue the light the duller it is. so if you go back to something like the phillips blue vision or even the power 2night bulbs you will get more light, however it won't be as ricey.

There's no point in switching to Blue Visions because they have the exact same output as my current bulbs 4000k i have Crystal Vision Ultra's (only sold in the US) the Australian version of the Crystal Visions are 4300k anyway i don't think switching to another halogen bulb will make a difference, my current ones don't look ricey at all there a soft white.

don't do HIDs on an R33. reflector headlights designed for halogens spill too much light, I haven't seen an R33 with HIDs whose owner doesn't deserve a backhander for the glare it causes other road users.

There's no point in switching to Blue Visions because they have the exact same output as my current bulbs 4000k i have Crystal Vision Ultra's (only sold in the US) the Australian version of the Crystal Visions are 4300k anyway i don't think switching to another halogen bulb will make a difference, my current ones don't look ricey at all there a soft white.

i recently fitted blue visions (4000k) in mine. theyre very white. they give a nice clean light, fairly bright. no complaints from me.

I thought so previous posts are talking as if the normal globes are just as good as HID's they simply aren't : ( have you had any troubles with other road users ? or do you have projectors fitted? also what Kelvin temp did you select.

Edited by DarkRyda

Mine are 6000K, standard series II headlights. I have them pointed a bit down so it doesn't blind people. They are bright and my mates don't like driving in front of me but they say it isn't as bad as some peoples, their problem not mine :D

Sweet thanks for all the reply's : ) much appropriated SAU members are always here to lend a hand thanks guys. Im just wondering whats a good set of HID's besides the Phillips ones because i don't wanna spend $500 on a set of HID's looking at anything $250ish or under ill be sure to get them properly installed : )

Hey guys sorry if this question has been asked before i have been doing some research on HID's iv been wanting to get Bi-Xenons (Hi/Low Beam) installed on my Skyline but my headlights don't contain any type of projectors or reflectors they are just standard S1 R33 headlights.

My question is how many of you are running HID's on your Skyline without Projectors / Reflectors ? etc... and have you had any problems with oncoming traffic (other road users) flashing there lights at you or Cops (defects). I was looking at getting 6000k but a lot of people on this and other forums say that without proper headlights the HID's create glare into oncoming traffic which makes them Illegal to have installed.

Cheers guys any help on the issue is appreciated if this question has been answered directly before link me to the thread i have tried searching but i don't believe it has been asked before.

Edit: i have also read about retrofitting projectors it seems like a decent size job to do but i am not really that committed to getting HID's if that's the only option i have.

Don't do it bro. Read this

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...onversions.html

Thanks for the Info Dan iv read a lot of pros/cons about HID's its a pain i just want some decent lighting at night and halogen globes are just not producing that for me! : (

I've been reading about HID's too. One day when I have an oven that actually works I'm going to open up my headlights and put in those FX-R HID retrofit ones from 'theretrofitsource'. All up including projectors they are going for less than $500 currently.

Google it, there's a guide on how to do it from one of those UK skyline forums.

Either that... or i'll buy cheapass $80 HID projector kits off ebay and retrofit since the car is getting old and is a real moneypit haha

My previous car was a mazda astina I had ebay $60 HID's in it with the stock projectors and it was perfect :P

I would not recommend HID's in a reflector type headlight, glare like anything.

Thanks for the Info Dan iv read a lot of pros/cons about HID's its a pain i just want some decent lighting at night and halogen globes are just not producing that for me! : (

Just get a set of bulbs for like $100 and chuck them in. Yep they are illegal and not perfect in our headlights, so is 90% of the shit on our cars, who cares. Adjust the headlights a bit so they don't blind people as much and you'll be fine. They are so much better than a normal globe and Skyline lights to begin with are pretty crap at brightness. The first thing i did to my motorbike was to put a HID bulb into it as the stock bulb was like holding a candle in front of the bike and was down right dangerous. Best bloody thing I did to the bike.

Edited by PM-R33