Just car:

$2230/year

excess: $7400!

agreed value: $150,000

Shannons:

$4011/year

excess: $1500

So either go shannons and drive like i stole it, go just cars and pussy foot around

What do you guys think?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You want stupid insurance costs...

Conclusion: Their here to make a profit and that's what they do well...

Not to mention we have to have a constantly available reserve stockpile of cash to payout for the event of disasters... has to cover about 1/4 or 1/3 of our customers in total.

Plus insurance companies have to invest as much of what they have so that they can make $$$.

just got a couple of quotes

my info:

26 years old

male

car in lock up garage.

daily driver

Just car:

$2230/year

excess: $7400!

Shannons:

$4011/year

excess: $1500

So either go shannons and drive like i stole it, go just cars and pussy foot around

What do you guys think?

my advice would be go with shannons. they are one of the better insurers and your first year will be $$ but I would guess your premium will quickly improve if you stay with them. plus if you do actually need to claim $7400 excess makes it not worth claiming for any accident under about $10K worth of damage (since you'll have to foot the excess and your premium will subsequently go up too). given that I think shannons is the better bet. more expensive for the first year but after that will improve.

Top lulz, i'm 23 and insuring a 2008 R35 GTR with RACV would cost me (full comp)

Car Comprehensive

Annual Amount $1,573.34

Monthly Instalment $142.20

Proposed start date 19 June 2010

Vehicle 2008 NISSAN GTR IMP COUPE 3.8 Litres

Market Value including modifications

** Excesses

spacer.gifBasic Excess: $2,000

Age Excess: Driver under 25 years $400

So the moral of the story is dont lose your license and you will be a rich man.

Bugger me. . .I am paying $1400 for my Stag in Sydney rating 1 over 35 driver perfect driving history.. . $1573 for a R35 GTR seems great. . God Sydney sucks.

Bugger me. . .I am paying $1400 for my Stag in Sydney rating 1 over 35 driver perfect driving history.. . $1573 for a R35 GTR seems great. . God Sydney sucks.

God knows why, but your 100% right about that. Add to that the fact that the that insurance estimate is based on Frankston 3199, the car theft capital of South Eastern Melbourne. I did some math on just insuring my Commodore and its 120% more expensive where I live in Sydney than back in Frankston. Maybe its just the crap quality Sydneys makes the insurance companys think that more accidents would happen there? If anyone is in the insurance game the actual reason would be greatly appreciated.

try suncorp if you havent already Druzilla

my policy is 1900 per annum. 1100 excess. but I am 35, have been a good boy and live in Brisbane.

just bught a falcadore to punt the expanding tribe around in when I cant get the wifes XC90. insurance $500 with $500 excess :P

try suncorp if you havent already Druzilla

my policy is 1900 per annum. 1100 excess. but I am 35, have been a good boy and live in Brisbane.

just bught a falcadore to punt the expanding tribe around in when I cant get the wifes XC90. insurance $500 with $500 excess :P

thanks for the info.. I will try suncorp tomorrow, price looks great.

I have good driving record, Lost my licence once 7 years ago dure to defects (too low+loud etc.)

Im actually driving my gtr on the streets less and less too.. Its just too painfull to go slow! Only drive it about 2 times a week.

my advice would be go with shannons. they are one of the better insurers and your first year will be $$ but I would guess your premium will quickly improve if you stay with them. plus if you do actually need to claim $7400 excess makes it not worth claiming for any accident under about $10K worth of damage (since you'll have to foot the excess and your premium will subsequently go up too). given that I think shannons is the better bet. more expensive for the first year but after that will improve.

thanks for the advise. I was thinking that too.. EG. someone keys my car and damage is 8K.. pointless using insurance if with just car, but with shannons it makes sence.

I will check out suncorp and if thats a no go, I will go with shannons.

cheers,

Drew

that's pretty harsh. my R35 was around $1500 per annum and exccess I think was $1000 from memory. sydney, garaged, driver over 25 but under 30. rating 1. it was insured for $160K.

having said that the premium on my R32 GTR insured for $35K was around the same (well couple hundred less). go figure.

"Egocentricity the folly of the young" Put yourself in the insurance companies place, if ti was your business and you had to take the risk would you insure someone with that record? LOL your kidding right 3 times in 5 years of course you won't get insurance with that record, and especially not on a low volume performance import .

Edited by gerryb

just read the whole thread! wow...1st time i've been here in ages and now i remember why i hardly go on, a bloke asks a simple question and all the internet warriors come out with their high and mighty stance, ye sure its not a great look to lose your license 3 times in 5 yrs, but it can happen. Maybe we should give him suggestions about what his options might be instead of burning him on a stake.

FYI: had my R33 since i was 18 in Victoria, im 27 now 200.000+ clicks done on the car all around victoria, never have lost a point or have had any hassles by the cops, but last month got done twice by a mobile speed camera on a Sunday morning on a perfectly straight empty road for being 7 km's over the speed limit. so it does happen.

I love how people assume that 5k on a 180k car isn't much.

Myt brothers car costs 9.5k to insure BUT it is worth 850k.

Work it out.

i would hate to live in that NANNA state. I would be just like you.

just on that also, i work in the insurance industry and it doesn't quiet work like that, while the value of the car is a factor its not the end and be all of everything. Its mainly based on the 1. Car type 2. Risk of the driver 3. Location. 5K on a fully kitted Audi S5 is a bit much, but 5K on a GTR with a fairly young driver (under 35) is actually not too bad, depending on what kind of cover your getting. You will find that there will be a lot more claims being made on a R35 than on a S5, thus this will drive the premiums up. I don't know what kind of car the 850K is, but chances are its prob not a daily driver, where as many pplz will use a GTR as a dialy driver (which is one of its selling points) so thus the risk of the vehicle having a accident is a lot higher, and will drive premiums.

"Egocentricity the folly of the young"

Pfft it's the folly of humankind no matter how old you are. Egocentricity being a wonderful facet of senility too...:D

wtf? I haven't seen an on topic post since about the first one. And if I banned everyone that has talked off topic crap and made personal attacks there would be no-one left on SAU.

This thread is absolute rubbish.