SAU Community

R32

sidr32

Hi guys, I bought a Skyline R32 GTS4 about 2 years ago, its totally stock, I love it. It's my daily driver.

Over the past couple of days i and a mechanic mate installed a front mount kit, it fitted really well with little modification to the car and bumper.

Question is, the car drove sweet before hand, now it;s sound like a WRX, it's missing and the idle is at 2,000rpm. The car has about 50% less power, WT ?

Are we missing something? Do i need a new computer? Is it because of the air sensors thingy?

Please , please help a nooob.

Thanks guys.

Sid

:)

what he said, most likely a clamp is loose, or somethings unplugged.

Cool, so all i have done is mount the intercooler, i do not have to change anything else?

We checked all clamps, and nothing is loose, my boost gauge is reading -10 / -11 which is what it was b4 i put the mount in??

Thanks for your quick responses guys, awesome, i need to drive tomorrow.....

Sid

Edited by sidr32

If u touched the coilpacks recently, make sure the plugs are in properly

I did, i took the cover off, the black long cover saying RB20 Skyline, apparently i gain hp doing this?

Anyway i got a rag and cleaned around the packs, maybe bumped one.

I put the cover back on, because i thought it might effect the earth lead or something....

I will have to check. Thanks dude!!

Sid

I did, i took the cover off, the black long cover saying RB20 Skyline, apparently i gain hp doing this?

Anyway i got a rag and cleaned around the packs, maybe bumped one.

I put the cover back on, because i thought it might effect the earth lead or something....

I will have to check. Thanks dude!!

Sid

if you can get your hands on a good set of replacement coil packs id suggest trying them out as a set i had on an rb20 were showing no signs of wear and one day one crapped out and it ran just like your describing (with no warning) all i had to do was change out the coil packs and it was fine

if you can get your hands on a good set of replacement coil packs id suggest trying them out as a set i had on an rb20 were showing no signs of wear and one day one crapped out and it ran just like your describing (with no warning) all i had to do was change out the coil packs and it was fine

Nice one, i will o a search for some new coil packs, do you recommend any?

Sid

u have a miss on one or more cylinders, u need to work out which one(s)

pull the coilpack cover off, sounds like u left it off anyway(sweet) with the engine running, unplug each coilpack one at a time

if it sounds the same when u unplug no.1 then the problem isnt on no.1, plug it back in, then onto no.2 and so on and so forth

if u manage to isolate the problem to one cylinder, hopefully not more, swap the coil with another one thats working from another cylinder and see if the miss is know on the cylinder u swapped it with. if u swap a good coil onto the missfiring cylinder and its still missfiring, its likely to be stuffed plugs, maybe gap too big or worn, or bad compression :)

dont go buying coilpacks etc till ur 100% what the problem is, yes its likely to be coilpacks, but be sure, change the plugs while ur there and gap em to 0.8 bkr6e

there is a earth lead that goes on near the coil packs for the ignitor box. make sure you have put this back on somewhere.

Remove the coil pack wire connectors and re-seat them and see how it goes.

did you add me to msn?

Nice one, i will o a search for some new coil packs, do you recommend any?

Sid

even just using another standard set that you know are in good condition will do

other wise i like lotsalag's idea of pulling the plug on one cylinder at a time i wish i had of thought of that when i did mine lol :)

u have a miss on one or more cylinders, u need to work out which one(s)

pull the coilpack cover off, sounds like u left it off anyway(sweet) with the engine running, unplug each coilpack one at a time

if it sounds the same when u unplug no.1 then the problem isnt on no.1, plug it back in, then onto no.2 and so on and so forth

if u manage to isolate the problem to one cylinder, hopefully not more, swap the coil with another one thats working from another cylinder and see if the miss is know on the cylinder u swapped it with. if u swap a good coil onto the missfiring cylinder and its still missfiring, its likely to be stuffed plugs, maybe gap too big or worn, or bad compression :thumbsup:

dont go buying coilpacks etc till ur 100% what the problem is, yes its likely to be coilpacks, but be sure, change the plugs while ur there and gap em to 0.8 bkr6e

Sweeet, yeah it was one of my coil packs, it was good before, now with the front mount it's much better

:whistling:

Whats the next upgrade, so far I have soldered a new chip into the computer, have a full 3inch pipe to manifold, a front mount.

Can i upgrade the turbo next? If so what should i get?

Thanks for all the replies, I love my R32, the awd is a bonus, i can scare friends in the wet with its ridiculous grip!

Sid

Sweeet, yeah it was one of my coil packs, it was good before, now with the front mount it's much better

:cool:

Whats the next upgrade, so far I have soldered a new chip into the computer, have a full 3inch pipe to manifold, a front mount.

Thanks for all the replies, I love my R32, the awd is a bonus, i can scare friends in the wet with its ridiculous grip!

Sid

glad to here you got the problem solved, as for next upgrades i always upgrade the suspension, brakes and clutch before i modify the engine.

and as for upgrading your turbo before you do that you should upgrade the mods that will support the new turbo's power increase eg: fuel pump, injectors, plugs etc.

Edited by aahh32

I'd also go for suspension first, before more power. I'd be careful with the AWD though , it doesn't always help and you still can get into sticky situations with too much speed.

BTW is it a 2 door or 4 door?

not trying to hijack your thread mate but I've often wondered about suspension: i have a 1999 r34 gtt and it's suspension would be less than pleasant on a track I'm sure, but for street driving in newcastle and sydney and even out at mudgee and tamworth it's really good. the uni in newcastle has some massive speed humps and it just glides over them.

would these every-day situations be improved by aftermarket suspension, or would 11year old stock suspension be the better way to go?

thanks

:cool:

Sid

iv got a gts4 aswell and scaring mates with the grip is always fun,iv got tein flex coilovers ,strut braces and a few other bits ,its well worth it, iv upgraded the turbo to an r33 seris 2 unit and that runs fine on stock fuel