SAU Community

Advice on dragging...

95GTST

Hi guys,

I'm putting my car in the Warrnambol drags on Feb 8th, and was after a few tips from those who have dragged before (rpm launch?, etc)... Was also after a rough estimate on what time I should get, here's what I've got;

95 R33 GTST

FMIC

3" Full turbo-back exhaust (heat wrapped)

boost controller will be set to 15psi

loaning a set of 17" semi-slicks for the day

stnd suspension

k&n panel filter

Will also have new Apexi SAFC & bov by then too. Car will be dyno'd and tuned.

Frineds of mine hv R33 GTST, most of them only able to launch @4500rpm on street tire, but i think simi slick should be able to launch 6000rpm, I forgot ur car is rear wheel drive :wassup:

after a few tips from those who have dragged before (rpm lunch?, etc)....

I suggest about 5000-5500rpm and slip it off the line with a little controlled wheelspin...

As for lunch, I recommend a light proscuitto, pecorino and rocket salad drizzled with truffle-infused extra-virgin olive oil with a nice glass of 1981 Penfolds Members Vintage Reserve Pinot Noir to cleanse the palatte.

95GTST,

The conditions (track surface/temp etc...) on the day/night will dictate what launch rpm works best. Your clutch will also be a big factor in how best to get your car off the line. Merli's suggested rpm & technique is a good way to go. Very harsh on a stock clutch though.

As for predicting how you go? I'd be happy with mid to low 13's (~105-107mph) with your current mods.

No no no Andrew you've got it all wrong. He actually wants to know how fast to eat his lunch (rpm lunch) kind of like a bites-per-minute sort of thing ;)

As for predicting how you go? I'd be happy with mid to low 13's (~105-107mph) with your current mods.
If he is using the standard turbo and with semi-slick tyres i'd be aiming for a 13.0-13.4sec pass (thats if the standard turbo doesn't blow up on 15psi).

:Bang:

Dont be scared to practice launches before you go out. A very quiet country road is good for 0-100 practice. The track will be different but if you have never done it before its good to get a feel on what rpm spins or bogs down. My car felt good on the street tarmak but at the drags i was getting massive tramp problems through worn lower control arm bushes and stuffed viscous lsd. When staged i hold the handbrake on dial revs and take up the clutch pedal slack, then engage it on the second last amber light releasing the handbrake at the same time(jap style).Hope you understand lol..

On regular sh1tty street tyres i launch off of the handbrake as described immediately above. On semi's, i've recently discovered that i get better 60' times (consistently 1/10th sec better), by doing a great big smokeshow first - then launching with a small amount of clutch-slip to control the wheel-spin through first gear.

Merli, who can afford the bling req'd to guzzle 1981 Penfolds Members Vintage Reserve Pinot Noir every day?!?!?

Oh and if you have a std computer, good luck laucnhing from 8000rpm. ;-)

Adrian

• 4 weeks later...

hahaha i might be able to 8000rpm, but fat chance ill do that.

i leaunch mine at about 3500, but i hold it at 2500 at the staging lights till it starts to drop then as soon as it gets to the 3rd light down i give it half throttle and start slipping the clutch out pretty fast while moving my right foot fully to the floor, which pretty much makes it 3500 at time of clutch biting.

this allowed me to do a 13.550.

stock turbo, stock cooler, cat back exhaust, 11.3psi, 255 wide tyres.