SAU Community

160rwkw From R32 Gtr

Here we go;

Few weeks ago I was told that my CAS timing is very advanced. So I booked it in to get looked at by Boostworx here in Adelaide. Prior to this I removed my kick panel to find a Mines tuned ECU.

So yesterday I dropped the car off to BW asking them to check the CAS timing and also do a power run to check the Mines ECU isn't running too lean/rich and just to give me a basic power figure.

Going by my stanard boost gauge (ha!) it maxes out just past the first line between +0 and +7 giving me the conclusion its running about 10-11psi. Now the standard boost restrictor has been removed so 10-11psi should be achieved quiet easily.

Mod list is

• Kakimoto Regu catback

• Trust MX front pipe (I think its MX)
  • Apexi pods (very dirty)

• bashed compliance cat - know very commodore spec

I went and picked the car up today to find out that all the timing and CAS is fine, AFRs are very good aswell as the O2 sensors. BUT I only made 160rwkw at 9psi and Shaun even said that I should be upwards of 190rwkw from 11psi. Now something is obviously wrong here and Shaun seems to think its the exhaust, which I am happy for it to be. But is there any other possibilities? I shouldn't need an EBC to run it higher than 9psi?

The car is daily driven so I'm not gonna completely going to go all out on a quest to make 11ty billion kw but I just want some advice and opinions on why I'm down on power.

Sounds about right to me to be honest for 9psi... (no idea why you are saying it's 11psi earlier in your post?)

+/- 15rwkw for dyno variance and so on and you are basically where it needs to be just based on that.

They are 206kw factory, so 160rwkw with 2psi extra and just exhaust is around the ballpark.

By all means drop the exhaust and so on (to check), but i highly doubt that has anything to do with it.

Sounds about right to me to be honest for 9psi... (no idea why you are saying it's 11psi earlier in your post?)

+/- 15rwkw for dyno variance and so on and you are basically where it needs to be just based on that.

They are 206kw factory, so 160rwkw with 2psi extra and just exhaust is around the ballpark.

By all means drop the exhaust and so on (to check), but i highly doubt that has anything to do with it.

EDIT: re-read what you wrote and makes more sense.

Should I just leave it and add a EBC and new ECU to wake the sleeping giant?

I think if you up the boost to a more reasonable/steady 12psi, ECU/tune, bit of toying with cam gears and so on...

Would be around the 200-220rwkw marker and be a nice daily.

Also the compliance cat (even gutted) will be a problem as it'll be tapering down - i missed that earlier, only noticed it upon re-reading ya first post.

Either change it to a straight pipe or get a 3.5"-4" hi-flow cat onto it.

I think if you up the boost to a more reasonable/steady 12psi, ECU/tune, bit of toying with cam gears and so on...

Would be around the 200-220rwkw marker and be a nice daily.

Also the compliance cat (even gutted) will be a problem as it'll be tapering down - i missed that earlier, only noticed it upon re-reading ya first post.

Either change it to a straight pipe or get a 3.5"-4" hi-flow cat onto it.

Hi-flow cat will be my next step. But what is confusing me is how every other results I've seen from 32,33,34 GTRs and they say standard boost and everything and they made 180-200ish. Just thought how could I be 30kw down from everyone else? I just was abit thrown back when I heard 160rwkw. I mean for a 2.6ltr TT that seems very low, RB20 with a few mods wouldn't be far off it.

Ye but they aren't running 9psi either.

Could be your motor is a tad tired, or the CAT as i've highlighted...

Without getting it all "working" it's going to be hard to workout exactly what in the setup is letting it down as currently you have a few things to sort out before going any further.

Hi-flow cat will be my next step. But what is confusing me is how every other results I've seen from 32,33,34 GTRs and they say standard boost and everything and they made 180-200ish. Just thought how could I be 30kw down from everyone else? I just was abit thrown back when I heard 160rwkw. I mean for a 2.6ltr TT that seems very low, RB20 with a few mods wouldn't be far off it.

im not trying to rub it in but my rb20 made 155kw on 13 psi with just a catback and hks pod and iv got a mate with a completely stock gtr and were fair even, u would think youd get a fair increase from the front pipe alone, was it getting the right air fuel?

power sounds about right to me as well, raise the boost and you'll see good gains.

u cant really directly compare different models of gtr, they changed a bit over the years. :/

proper exhaust, boost up and tune should see 200+, if not more like 220 on a touch under 1 bar. had one make 225awkw with the same setup the other day

those air filters are unlikely to be helping either :cool:

It doesn't sound TOO bad but i would have guessed higher.

The quoted power figure of 206 is a bit iffy though. The 'gentleman's agreement' could be and was broken, and I would think there was a fair bit more based on seat-of-the-pants dyno runs.

However, remember, more than a few ponies have probably escaped the paddock in the last 17-21 years......

Mine put out 199kw on the BW dyno at 14.7psi on a 40 degree day, pretty much dead stock exhaust for nistune, cam gears (adjusted for response), catco hiflow cat, nismo front pipe and 3.5" catback

Guess I'll give the pods a decent clean and maybe change the spark plugs and gap them down to .8 for a cheap fix. Hi-flow cat and EBC are definitely on my list next.

Doesnt sound that odd. Its pretty much a stocko GTR. So therefore its probably in the 13's and running traps of around 100mph. Which 160rwkw will do.

Add in varience of different dynos, and its not that low IMO.

My R34 (206kw again remember, although there are arguments a GTR is abit more from factory) made 160rwkw with a cat back and 12psi boost.

dude mine ran 161kw with exhaust. and have seen so many "exhausts" for gtrs that dont do shit unless you get a highflow cat.

put a high flow cat and cam gears with 14psi and it made 225kw on a pfc. tried old cat in it and dropped down to 180kw.....

do the cam gears and cat.... and get rid of the mines comp...

good luck

it seems low to me i made 246wk@tread

turbo back exhaust (twin 3" kakimoto N1 system)

K&N pods

15psi

and pfc

i would give the filters a very, very good clean or replace!

new fuel filter (Alot of people overlook this but i have found much better throttle response with new one)